Thread: Seward Boat Harbor Info

Default Seward Boat Harbor Info

So I did a bit of looking around and have a couple questions about the Seward Boat Harbor. We are thinking of heading down this weekend and I've only launched out of there once before. I figure the more I know the less I'll cause a problem. So, from the map I found there's the south ramp, the NE ramp and possibly one other? I used the south ramp the last time and it was pretty shallow. Is the NE a better ramp or are both fine? Which is less congested?

Also, last time down in Homer I found the gas at the dock substantially cheaper than at the road side pumps. Is this true in Seward and if so does anyone know the price? Any other info you can pass along would be much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by patrickL View Post
    So I did a bit of looking around and have a couple questions about the Seward Boat Harbor. We are thinking of heading down this weekend and I've only launched out of there once before. I figure the more I know the less I'll cause a problem. So, from the map I found there's the south ramp, the NE ramp and possibly one other? I used the south ramp the last time and it was pretty shallow. Is the NE a better ramp or are both fine? Which is less congested?

Also, last time down in Homer I found the gas at the dock substantially cheaper than at the road side pumps. Is this true in Seward and if so does anyone know the price? Any other info you can pass along would be much appreciated.
    Not sure on the harbor price, but the town price is 3.69 at 2 stations and 3.75 at the other. In the past years, I found the harbor price and town price about the same. I've used both launches. I prefer the one in town next to the harbor masters office especially for parking later and fish house access for last minute things. The launch is also a little better at low tide. If the tide line is past the yellow line marker, your good, beyond that, I would wait to launch. If your gonna launch and park alot, the annual launch pass is 100 bucks at the harbor masters office, and parking pass for a vehicle and trailer is 75 bucks at the launch in town in the little building. Great Deal!!!

Patrick, I filled up ten times last year at the Seward dock. It was always a little cheaper than the town pumps.

Thanks for the info. I figured why haul a boat full of fuel down to Seward if I can get it at the harbor as cheap or cheaper. Last year it was cheaper to buy fuel at the harbor in Homer than here in Anchorage. Maybe I'll give a ring down there and see if Seward is the same.

Chico...I'm assuming you're talking about the south launch? I remembered it being a little cramped as I had to pull out in the road to get lined up for it. Is this the lauch you're talking about? The only time I've boated out of Seward was last September so the crowds were way down. Just worried it will be a zoo this weekend and I don't want to jam things up any more than I have to.

Thanks again for all the help.

Quote Originally Posted by patrickL View Post
    Thanks for the info. I figured why haul a boat full of fuel down to Seward if I can get it at the harbor as cheap or cheaper. Last year it was cheaper to buy fuel at the harbor in Homer than here in Anchorage. Maybe I'll give a ring down there and see if Seward is the same.

Chico...I'm assuming you're talking about the south launch? I remembered it being a little cramped as I had to pull out in the road to get lined up for it. Is this the lauch you're talking about? The only time I've boated out of Seward was last September so the crowds were way down. Just worried it will be a zoo this weekend and I don't want to jam things up any more than I have to.

Thanks again for all the help.

Yup, that the one, but I've never had a problem personally with traffic. I can imagine it being a zoo during the derby and 4th of July, but get out early and most of the croud is not a problem for me at least. If its a little crouded coming back in, I just pull into the transient area on the left coming in and wait. Fine a hose a clean the boat in the mean time.

Default I used the North ramp

Mike has a bait/tackle/snack shop right at the top of the launch, parking for truck and empty trailer is a bit more convenient, bathrooms a bit closer, and wind seems to be less of a factor when launching...far less boats moored super close by. The South launch is great too now with the new parking lot. Seward is hard to beat. Far better than running across the railroad tracks to get to your boat in tunnel town. Cleaning tables at north launch are right there by the parking lot too. Just spray the seagles with the hose.
    Last edited by Buzz; 06-16-2010 at 20:04. Reason: add