Thread: Time for a dumb question

Default Time for a dumb question

I can't figure out why you need to clip thge tails and forgot to ask while at the Chitina. What say ye old wise men of the forum?

Default Clipping

It's a ADF&G rule, it just identifies the fish as part of your personal use limit. They will ticket you if they are not clipped.

it is to mark your fish as personal use caught (as opposed to fish harvested via a different allocation such as sport caught).

"For the purposes of this fishery, "immediately" means before concealing the fish from plain view or transporting the salmon from the fishing site. "Fishing site" means the location where the fish is removed from the water and becomes part of the permit holder’s bag limit."

Because I fillet all of my fish at the dipping site, and prior to that keep them on a stringer in plain view, I never bother with clipping the tails, seems a waste of effort to me based on my practices. If you transport fish out whole, then you've gotta clip.

My thoughts are so that people cannot sell them as commercially caught fish.

Keep in mind that if you are stashing them in a cooler prior to leaving the fishing site, you need to clip them before putting in the cooler, as it "conceals the fish from plain view." If fishing is hot and heavy, a good way around this is to just use a tub/action packer/etc w/o a lid on it as the bin, and clip prior to icing in the cooler.

It's stupid. Especially if filleted right on the spot. However, you will be fined for not doing it when exiting the scene. So be smart. Many people forget. I set my scissors on top my cooler so they are handy before the fish go in. Feel free to use mine if we happen to be next to each other.

I do it 2 different ways.
    I never immediately cut the tails and I always fillet on site when done netting.
    If I am 90% sure I am done fishing for that day, I fill out my permit before I fillet. I feel if the law sees that is filled out, its obvious I am not trying to get over or poach.
    If I think I might head back fishing that day, but headed back to the camper which is nearby, I simply clip and keep all the clipped tails in a ziploc. In this case the law hopefully again sees I am not trying to get over or poach. The tails will match the fillets by numbers.
    Hopefully my honest intent is good enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    My thoughts are so that people cannot sell them as commercially caught fish.
    You are correct Paul. My advice would be to clip the tail when you catch it. You may avoid a stiff fine and your name in the paper. They have these rules for reasons, so if you have a problem w/ them then you have no business harvesting the states resources.

Takes what 2 seconds clip a tail? Sounds lazy if you dont!

Default Thanks for the link

6-2008 mnwas before my time here so this link should answer all my questions..

Ed

Good info for upcoming season.
    My few encounters with F&G have been cordial, but they are usually... focused.

I like the clipping idea - and find those EMT shears or similar work quick.

The first two answers seem the best to me. You can theoretically and legally go PU fishing, then on the way back home, or on the way there for that matter, stop and sport fish. It identifies which are PU fish...plain and simple... and those are the ones you need to have an accurate tally of on your harvest ticket.

I seem to always catch a small king on the Copper that I misidentify at first as a red. You WILL get a ticket for that, so be sure you identify each fish carefully. Just a tip.