Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: size limit on the little su

Default size limit on the little su

Had a bio question me on motor size the other day when I was ready to load. Are they wanting a size limit to get some of the big boats off the little river? Sure gonna goof the guys up that run the 20 foot boats with 100 h.p.+
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

I haven't heard anything yet. I'm one of the guys it would affect but I've always said they need to restrict it.
    "If your not the lead dog.... the view never changes"

My vote is for limiting it to 90/65 jets or less

I would prefer that they check the load/weight capacity on the boat and hold the driver accountable if the boat is overloaded. Seems most large wakes are caused by boats overloaded with too much stuff. A properly powered boat on step usually doesn't cast a large wake.
    This exact post has been discussed in the past, alot to read if you look in the archives.
    BK

Quote Originally Posted by bkmail View Post
    I would prefer that they check the load/weight capacity on the boat and hold the driver accountable if the boat is overloaded. Seems most large wakes are caused by boats overloaded with too much stuff. A properly powered boat on step usually doesn't cast a large wake.
    This exact post has been discussed in the past, alot to read if you look in the archives.
    BK
    Is the issue with the wake or the speed? Personally I am more worried about getting run over by a big boat doing 45mph on that twisty river.

I am more worries that it will end up as a slippery slope. Next thing it will be a drift boat only river.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtofak View Post
    Next thing it will be a drift boat only river.
    I don't see this with it's limited access, but it does need some limits just with the amount of traffic it gets. The guy that can afford a big boat should be able to afford a little boat, kinda difficult the other way around
    Μολών λαβέ

I have a 115 on the back of my boat. When i am on the little sue i am definitly not using all the power i have. i back it off so i am on step but i am only going like 15 or maybe 20 MPH. I like to have some kind of a reaction gap to avoid another boat or the guy who thinks he needs to wade right to the middle of the river to fish. Just because a boat can go 30 or 40 MPH at wide open doesnt mean you have run it that way all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Racnooc View Post
    I have a 115 on the back of my boat. When i am on the little sue i am definitly not using all the power i have. i back it off so i am on step but i am only going like 15 or maybe 20 MPH. I like to have some kind of a reaction gap to avoid another boat or the guy who thinks he needs to wade right to the middle of the river to fish. Just because a boat can go 30 or 40 MPH at wide open doesnt mean you have run it that way all the time.
    I wish more people had that same opinion.

I think the main issue with the motor size on the Little Su is the speed and danger of accidents than it is the erosion such as on the Kenai, although that might also be of concern.

I used to fish that river every weekend, but have only been there once in the last 15 years or so because I have this strange desire to not get run over.

Becareful what you wish for. You guy with little boat some day buy bigger boat and like me will be pissed when he can't use it on the little sue. We need to police are shelfs instead of always passing laws so people can't do things.......

Default Lil Su is dangerous

Haven't fished it in two years since a jack***** guide ran me off the river running too fast w/boatload of clients on the opening day of eggs for silvers.
    Like all of our waterways, they are getting busier and busier. A little common sense goes a long way. A guide should be the most considersate one on the river setting an example for everyone.
    BK

Default Little Su Restriction

I used to love that little river. I could take my small, old flat bottom up river (or down) and spend all day fishing without seeing more than maybe ten other boats and a handful of waders. Of course, that was before the State "improved" the ramp and the road, put in all the purty little campsites, and told the world it was there... I don't go fishing there any longer. All I can say is, if you like combat fishing, you'll have to learn to put up with the bigger/faster/better crowd as more and more people "discover" the Little Su, like they "discovered" the Russian. Restrictions will become inevitable, as the State has to regulate the resource for ALL users. Whether it's because of erosion, overcrowding, risk of collision or simply because some Politician needs a "cause", the Little Su will become another restricted river in Alaska.

Quote Originally Posted by akmike30 View Post
    Becareful what you wish for. You guy with little boat some day buy bigger boat and like me will be pissed when he can't use it on the little sue. We need to police are shelfs instead of always passing laws so people can't do things.......
    I have a 14' with a 20 jet just right for that little creek. When I do buy a bigger boat then I will be in bigger water
    Μολών λαβέ

Stop going when the new boat launch went in. Couldn't use my chains anymore.

Limit north of Burma landing, leave lower river alone. Drift only from Parks to Burma Landing?

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

a 50 or 60 h.p. would limit the size of the boat through out the water way. And a float only would really screw the guys up who have cabins between the two
    Μολών λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by akmike30 View Post
    I agree and a person with a big boat shouldnt be punished just because we have big boats. Once again we need to police are shelfs

We put load limits on roads when they cant take the impact of heavy large vehicles, how is protecting a "creek" from large boats any different?

[Quote]a person with a big boat shouldnt be punished just because we have big boats [quote]

It's not like you were born with a handicap, lol...you bought a big boat!! If I own a cannon should I be able to go to the local rifle range and let 'er rip?

Quote Originally Posted by ironartist View Post
    The guy that can afford a big boat should be able to afford a little boat
    I don't call it a punishment, but if you own a thunder jet, you can afford a little su sized boat
    Μολών λαβέ

Default A little food for thought...

I hate to say it but in the next year or two you will be seeing a push for banning two strokes on the little Sue, and limiting engine size. I'm not saying I'm in favor of it but just wait and see. Just like the Kenai, this too will pass because of the water quality issues.
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

Isn't it ok to run a 2 stroke on the kenai to sport fish from. It's just the consolidation of ALL the dippers where the water quality is poor, isn't it. And if they do shut down 2 strokes I will go right out and buy what is needed, thats just how it is.
    Μολών λαβέ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast