Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Help me get outside!

  1. #1

    Default Help me get outside!

    So I just came home from the doc with some very frustrating news.

    Basically, for the next 3-4 weeks, I can do nothing. No walking more than a mile, if that. Absolutely no hills, and absolutely no weight. This is a problem, since we've got every weekend this summer planned with hiking and backpacking! Obviously the plans have to get canned, but if I can't get out I think I'll go crazy.

    I'm looking for some car-accessible places to camp in the Los Anchorage area. Would like to stay as far away from crowds as possible. What do you suggest?

  2. #2
    Moderator LuJon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Palmer, AK
    Posts
    11,415

    Default

    What activities do you want to do? Car accessible, close to anchorage, not crowded.... Pick any two

  3. #3

    Default

    Yeah, I was afraid the "pick two" rule would be in effect. In that case, I'll sacrifice nearness!

    I'm not sure what I want to do... Maybe this is a good time to learn how to fish?

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Eagle River
    Posts
    30

    Default Williwaw campground @ Portage

    The campground is paved with lots of space in between the sites. The sites on the back side have the creek running behind them. Just hanging around a campfire listening to the water run is pretty good.

    There is a 3-4 trail loop, pretty flat, gravel w/ bridges and boardwalks.

    There is a small museum at the Portage visiters center.

    If you're feeling flush, you can take the boat to the glacier.

    Also, I haven't been yet but Eklutna Lake has a long, flat former road bed you can walk, it goes along the side of the lake for 13 miles.

  5. #5

    Wink

    Contact the guys at Ft Rich. There are tons of lakes there to camp on, with little to no people. Right in your backyard.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •