Thread: New member: Mulchatna questions

Question New member: Mulchatna questions

New forum member and planning first Alaska hunt this Sept for caribou. Friend has flown with Talon Air in the summer and wants to use them for air taxi service on caribou. They take hunters into units 17B, 9B, 19B. We are form Missouri and would like to have a good hunt, which means see some game and have a fair chance at average or better bull. From what I have been reading on this forum the Mulchatna herd numbers are down and probably spread out more meaning harder to find. Have talked to a past customer of theirs but he hunted in 2003 so things are probably different now. Are we on track with useing this service and hunting this area? I really appreciate everyones feedback and think this is an outstanding forum.....

get recent references from last season and talk to them. i've heard good things about talon air service and how they treat their customers, they seem to go the extra mile to ensure quality trip. but i'd still talk to recent references from the last two years....all of them.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Talon has a good reputation, I've heard good things bout them but never used them myself. There's a link to the Board of Game proposals, take a look at them for the caribou. The numbes are about 50,000 for the herd and they are in a rather large area. I've hunted the herd the last five years and numbers are down. I see good bulls every year but they seem to be getting fewer and farther away.

The Mulchatna herd has floundered, the herd has Crashed. It is common for herd animals, such as Caribou, to have natural up & down cycles over the years.
    There are many reason for these changes; not one single answer. It is a complicated series of events that us *humans* "think" we know and "try" to manage the game resource.

The bull-to-cow ratio is bum, volume of mature bulls is VERY low, herd is scattered over a VAST area of Western Alaska, overall herd numbers are down, food sources are scarce in many of the traditional herd range.
    This herd will not "re-bound" anytime soon, it will be years. Maybe many years, and maybe the herd hasn't hit rock-bottom yet.

As some friendly & practical advice; from a Caribou hunting prespective, I can think of many places I'd rather hunt for Caribou than the Mulchatna herd.

Best of luck to you....go North. North of the Brooks range. The Central & Western Arctic Herd are the best Caribou hunting in Alaska right now.

By the way, have you heard the lastest scientific reports that tie global warming to the massive Caribou die-off in the NorthWest Territorries? Their main herd was 700,000 in 1996, lastest count is 125,000...they lost over 500,000 Caribou in about 10 years. At first reading I thought "bull wooster". But after reseaching the scientific data there may be something to it. Of course Polar Bear researchers have been saying this for some time.....the world is changing.................

i wish them polar bears would head south...start feedin' on the fannin sheep in taku river area...lol
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212