Thread: Little Willow Info

Default Little Willow Info

Hi folks, can anyone give me some info on floating the Little Willow? I have never done that one but want to. I have heard that it is smaller than Willow Creek but can be very productive. Can anyone give me some info on how long it takes and what size raft is appropriate and if there are any hazzards? I presume the take-out would have to be at Willow Creek, but if there is a closer one can someone advise on that? I have a 16 foot cataraft and was also wondering if that is too big for that little water. Thanks.

Default I can

There are no fish in the little willow! it is deviod of life!

Im joking. I like the little willow. It is a very easy float and I do it several times a year. Fishing is on the lines of the willow and the same patterns work.

As for the take out you are right. It is at the willow camp ground. There is about a mile of slack water between the mouth of the little willow and the big su. you hit the big su and then just look for all the snaggers, I mean fisherman at the mouth if the willow. hang a left and your home.

I have not been down this year but know of no hazards to be aware of. I know a few guys from 3 rivers in Wasilla have floated the little willow and could tell youif there are any new log jams ETC.

if your going to fly fish, dont even go without a olive and black dolly lama. Hope that this helps and let me know how you do.

Default P.S

Might want to think about a dry fly rod and a gray adams, royal coachman, and the ever popular mosquito. Grayling hold in a few back eddies and will take a dry from time to time.

Default Company?

I've not been spectacularly successful fishing the L. Willow, but there are fish. It is a really winding creek that ends up in slack water for quite a bit at the end. There is usually decent salmon to be had where it meets the silt at the Big su.

I'm a rafting neophyte so I'll let others comment on the 16' cat...

There is what appears to be a commercial rafting operation going on Little Willow this summer. There have been tents, rafts and vehicles stacked up at the Parks access for a month now...a little presumptous if you ask me..(and I know you didnt)... to plug up the access/launch like you own it...

I'm done whining....really

Default Thanks

Thanks all for your prompt responses. I was hoping the Little Willow might be a good alternative to the Willow but just wasn't quite sure. I have typically done well at the Willow but was hoping the Little Willow might have less people but still have fish. I guess that's wishful thinking on the road system.

Default Little Willow+ Kings= waters muddied by jets

Your ideas of L.willow are sound, it can be a rewarding trip, however I would wait until Kings are done as this water attracts more jet boat traffic than the willow and your float experience would likely be tarnished by it. Last time I floated it during a King opener we saw very little clear water. 16'er a little large but doable.
    M