Thread: Marmot Scree Pant

Question Marmot Scree Pant

Has anyone used the Marmot Scree Pant? I'm really looking at purchasing a pair of these as they have got some good reviews but will they hold up on rough terrain (thorns, rocks, moisture, etc..

What do you think of these?
    http://marmot.com/products/scree_pant?p=110,170,74,131

They also have these that look alright but almost double the cost..
    http://marmot.com/products/cortina_p...110,170,74,131

Thanks

Paul

haven't used them, but i don't think you'll go wrong with marmot gear. i noticed they are made of the same material except the Cortina pant is 2 oz lighter with reinforced areas.

Default Marmot...understandable gear...excellent function...

I've been picking up outdoor gear at end-of-season discounts. I ended up with the Scree pants - even though not discounted - because they had features I look for in outdoor pants. I'd say if you can get this pant discounted and if they have the right fit for your body type, it's a great pant.

To make sense, for me outdoor wear has to be/have the right:

1. Materials/function - usually breathability is first. I've worn the Scree pants for one hiking outing - but the woven nylon or poly materials in other garments has been breathable and rain-resistant (prob DWR coated, which requires special care - unscented powdered detergent and low temp drying usually) and tough enough in other gear. I mostly hike in pants.

How tough? These pants aren't reinforced and don't have any special sewn-in panels (Swazi makes a pair with sewn-in waterproof seat) or reinforcement. If you spend much time kneeling or sliding on gravel, etc - I'd expect the material on knees and seat to show wear after a few outings and maybe fail. It isn't material I'd count on for several seasons of that kind of wear.

2. Features (belt loops, cargo pockets); the Scree cargo pocket is OK, useful with a horizontal closure which I prefer for occasional overstuffing -not big like Mammut Champs, Sporthill Expedition, etc, and there's only one, which for me limits its uses. But pant choices with 2 useful cargo pockets in good materials are limited.

3. Colors (brown, olive, camo) - no camo, but the color "tarmac" I got is a good olive shade.

4. Fit - sometimes outerwear is cut too trim for insulation layers to fit underneath. The Scree pant I got (large) fits my medium build and should accomodate any base layer (merino, sometimes fleece) I wear - but probably will be too snug fitting for beefier guys.

Marmot, like other manufacturers (Mammut, OR, Mtn Hardware, Patagonia, etc, uses high end materials, but is one company that does a great job explaining the differences in the materials they use (http://marmot.com/technology?page=1). For those who put a high value on breathability, their "M3" garments are the most breathable - making it simpler to sort through their catalog. The only thing left is to watch for end-of-season discount season in the Fall. Here's their description of M3 softshell garments, including the Scree pants:

M3

Marmot M-series fabrics are designed for moving light and fast. They combine stretchable, water repellent, abrasion resistant and highly breathable shell materials with insulating buffer materials on the inside.

M3 shells are the most breathable in the M-series. They are best for high aerobic use in mild conditions.

Good luck.

The Sporthill 3SP Expedition and the Sporthill Expidition II ... is there any difference between the 2 other than one being camo? Would these pants be good for just above freezing temperature to about 50F?

Default Wearing ski/hiking boots?

According the the specs on the website, both Sporthill pants are made of the same material: 3SP® (85% polypropylene, 15% spandex).

Other than that, looks like they've "... taken our top selling XC pant and added a zipper fly, belt loops and straight leg design to ensure the perfect fit over your ski/hiking boots".

As far as the right temps, better to avoid pants that are too warm. I usually plan on layering up if needed.

As to what works best, I guess it varies from person to person. What I'd do if not in a hurry is to get them in time to try them out, and get something else if needed. If you have a friend with similar preferences in gear, maybe his/her input could help.

Good luck.

Default My go to pants.

Scree pants are very good for early season. I have used them for two years. They are extremely durable-you don't need another pair of pants. They are also warm when they get wet and dry extremely quickly. They do not repel water. I have the Sporthill 3SP pants as well and they are a lot thicker. I have the expedition black ones.

I favor the Scree pants. I recommend them above the patagonia guide pants. I really like the material better.

Sincerely,
    Thomas

I think for the money the Scree Pants are a good deal even if they last me 2 or 3 full seasons. I too prefer Pants to be thin and layer if it gets colder. I'll be doing a lot of walking so I want lighter pants. I spoke to Marmot Customer Service, which by the way it 1st Class! I'm looking for the Scree Pant in Medium Short in the Tarmak color and they said to wait another month or 2 when the next yearly inventory will be shipped out. Hopefully I can get them by August. Thanks for the input!

Paul

Any luck finding the medium size scree pant? Big goose egg for me...been looking online for a few hours.

Default Popular pants.

Thank you Leech!

I'm looking for a pair of Medium shorts in the Tarmac without any luck. I'm debating whether or not to go a size larger for when I have to put on the base layer. I'm trying to find a local shop that has them in stock so I can try them on. I might just go with the black pair if I don't find the Tarmac and if I have to I'll return the medium for large.

So I decided to just order a pair of Large (short) Black Marmot Scree pants online ... I couldn't wait any longer! It was next to impossible to find a pair at a retail store here in Ontario, Canada so I just ordered them online from a Canadian retailer for $99 CDN plus free shipping, although I had to pay the new HST tax 13%. I'm going to try these out on my Newfoundland Moose/Bear/Caribou trip in October and see how they compare to my Sitka Ascent Pant. I plan to get a pair of Westcomb Recon Cargos IF I can find them in time before I leave...I figure what better way to compare pants than to have them all together for the same trip ... I'll be hunting almost 10days so lots of time to challenge each pant.

Paolo

Looks like Marmot tried to copy Arcteryx...their "Scree" pants looks almost identical to the Gamma pants, But I bet that the Arcteryx Gamma pants are probably made better and more durable.....I've had my Gammas for four years now, and still using them. They are the best pants I've found for sheep and goat hunting. they come in Brown and Black, you can find them at Beaver sports, and on climbhighoutlet.com

Kahahawai which Gamma Pants did you get? Are they good for early season (mild temperatures) or they for mid to late season when it gets really cold?

I got my Marmot Scree pants today and tried them on...they fit well, I probably could have gone with a medium but I didn't want to chance them being too snug. They are a little baggy compared to my Sitka Pants...I thought the scree pant would have been a little more fitted. I don't think it will be a big deal. They feel great, light and should breath really well! Can't wait to try them on my trip!