Thread: What do you think about the flies I've tied

Default What do you think about the flies I've tied

Heading to fish Ressurrection Creek, Russian River, Kenai. Then possibly, Caswell Creek, Sheep Creek, Montana Creek, Byers Creek, Little Willow/Big Willow, Goose Creek towards the end of July (20-27).

Here is a pic of the flies we've tied. Are these going to work?

Would you recommend any others for these areas?

MC

well I guess it depends on what your going after, your flies look alright but your colors for your flesh fly are wrong. That pink and cream or what ever don't match. Now having said that I bet it turns out to be your best fly! I don't know were you are but if you can get to mountain veiw sports they have some good rabbit that is multi color like white and pink , peach and red so on and so on. Also I would bring a long some beads.

Quote Originally Posted by kenaibow fan View Post
    Also I would bring a long some beads.

This is an understatement to say the least..........unfortunately.
    I am not against the flippin kenai, since I cannot but suspect it keeps armies of the unworthy from discovering every other stream... ~Paul O'Neil~/~Wyo2AK~

Quote Originally Posted by kenaibow fan View Post
    well I guess it depends on what your going after,
    I'm not sure how to respond to this one.... but to answer your posed question...anything that has a chance of being caught. We were told we would have a chance to catch pinks, red, kings, coho, chum and bows so that is what we tied the below flies for. We are also bringing along various pixies.

Quote Originally Posted by muzzyman87 View Post
    This is an understatement to say the least..........unfortunately.
    I keep hearing that. We fly into Anchorage and plan on stopping at Walmart and Sportsmans to get some last minute items. I'm sure Sportmans has some flies and beads we can pickup, but would you recommend some place else?

Quote Originally Posted by mlchris2 View Post
    I keep hearing that. We fly into Anchorage and plan on stopping at Walmart and Sportsmans to get some last minute items. I'm sure Sportmans has some flies and beads we can pickup, but would you recommend some place else?
    I would skip Sportsman's and check out one or all of the local fly shops. Mt. View Sports, World Wide Angler, and Mossy's Fly Shop are all in Anchorage, and all three have very helpful people working there, which is more than I can say for Sportsmans. All three shops have a big selection of flies, and can set you up for where ever you plan on fishing.

Jake
    All the romance of trout fishing exists in the mind of the angler and is in no way shared by the fish.

Thanks Jake... I will look those places up and hit the closest one on our way out of town.

so i did alot of reading on beads during the end of July... Im lost. from what i understand, you generally use certain colors for certain species during certain parts of the year. Can you recommend a size and color to use on Russian, Resurrection, Kenai, during the later part of July?

I ran by my local fly shop here and found 500 beads for $2.00. Should I just wait and drop by a local shop and pickup a few dozen of the recommended bead setups?

Also, can i just glue or heat (shrink) them to a hook and call it a "fly"?

A few more germane articles from the fine folks at Alaska fly fishing goods -

Upper Kenai 101

Beads - the bare naked truth

if you melt the bead to the hook its considered a fly, for your time period fly fishing only waters on the road system you won't need egg patterns though, nothing spawning yet. Its a bit late for the green drake hatch down south, but the river should be nymphing good, prince nymphs, PTs, GRHs etc, bring a dry or two though just in case, I've rarely had refusals on green drake patterns. Kings should be spawning in that time period, beads, beads and beads I guess.

Those flies and stuff like that will catch chums and silvers, I really like cerise marabou flies for chums (the one day a year I fish for em anyway) Pretty much anything will catch reds if you feed them the line.

Stop by the local fly shops, they'll set you up, and if you can swing it hire a guide for your first day that'll help a ton...
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

if you do end up pegging (depending on where you go), take some spray paint in a brown paper sack. You can buy beads anywhere really find the right size and color. I used a pearl white paint...spray the inside of the bag, stick in some beads shake it around and viola, pretty dang snazzy beads... Not so sure you'll be able to melt the bed after you paint them...maybe, give it a shot.

Easy bead melt. All you need is a lit candle and a pair of pliers. Hold the hook in the pliers in one hand and the bead in the index finger and thumb. Heat the hook just enough then place the bead onto the hot hook being carefull not to melt it too far to the hole in the bead. Shouldn't have any trouble with painted beads with this method.

Use a longer shank hook with the bead up close to the eye.

Good luck and tight lines and release the trout gently.

George