Thread: Kudos To Deweys

Default Kudos To Deweys

Had a weird thing happen to me last week while out at Seward. Came off a rather large roller and the boat came down hard and flat. A few things fell off the shelves but thought nothing of it. Later got to a place to fish and tried to get out of the cabin and could not get out. The door would unlock and lock but the latch would not move. Got out the front door, side stepped to the back cabin and used a knife to move the latch. Low and behold the latch was broken in two. Since I couldn't latch it the door stayed open the rest of the day. The next day I called Deweys and spoke to Chad the service manager and told him what happened and that I was in Seward for a while longer. He asked me if I was comfortable taking the door latch assembly apart. I did and found the one piece latch part was broken where it narrowed down and no other damage was noted. It was pot metal so it couldn't be fixed. Since my wife was coming back the following day, he got an entire door assembly ready for her to pick up. Got the part the following night and installed it. Just like new. Now, my boat is 2 years old, so the warranty is technically over except the motors. No charge and fast friendly service. Last year, I played the prop game and had several props to try out in my possession with no money up front. Just brought back the props that I didn't want to keep. Again, no charge and fast and friendly service. Thats my kind of dealer and thats why in the future, they have my bussiness.

Default I'll echo that

Chad let me borrow a fuel pressure guage as I was really in a bind and couldn't wait the weeks it would take to get the motor in, nor did I want to buy the specialty tool. Brought it back the next day, all was well. I'll be back for again for that reason alone.

I have to agree, all my experiences there have been positive.

07 Ocean Pro 220 ET HT
    115 Yamaha
    Garmin 740S, GMR 18 HD
    Airmar TM 260-MM

Even though my boat is not one they sell, the service manager talked me through servicing the oil bath wheel bearings on my trailer; that would have never occurred from my dealer.
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

I have never been there, but have heard lots of positive remarks about Dewey's....... I guess I should stop in there sometime and check it out.
    USN Seabee '90-'95, NRA Life Member

i had trouble with a yamaha engine i bought there "missing", chad took the time to show me how to check carbs and several other things. still had a problem, brought it to town. he checked it over, couldnt find anything wrong so didnt charge me for labor. took it back out and lowered it one bolt hole on transom and now runs fine. apparently i had run over something that changed the flow on the bottom just enough to create cavitation. to make me look even dumber, chad had brought that up as a possiblility but i had figured that couldnt be it since i hadnt hit anything right before the problem started.

Guess I'm the lone voice of dissension, well, sort of.. I didn't care for my interactions at Dewey's but agree Chad's great to deal with.

I felt Dewey's would rather sell a new boat/trailer combo than deal with service issues and warranty work. As to the service department, once I finally got past those at the front counter Dewey's was much better to deal with. Chad was great, explained everything, did fast work, and is a heck of a good guy.

If ever go to buy another Yamaha and Chad's not there, I'll go to another dealership.
    "He should have been packing a more powerful gun...you have to be a very good shot or very lucky to stop a brown bear with a .357 Magnum." - Rick Sinnott, Alaska Department of Fish and Game biologist after a double attack by a grizzly.

I've not dealt with Chad, because I've had no issues with my boat for a few years (knock on wood)! But I've had good experiences with all the folks at Dewey's since I bought my boat there in 2004. I'll continue to deal with them in a heartbeat.