Thread: Sea King Trailer Mod for Jet Boat

Default Sea King Trailer Mod for Jet Boat

I have a 22' Sea Ark Predator with the King trailer. Nice trailer if you always plan to launch in a lake or at other improved landings. However, I have had some launching issues at the typical make shift river launches so common here in AK.

One thing I was thinking about doing is lowering the bunks, which from the factory at the lowest setting is over 4-6" higher than the frame. My mindset being if the boat is lower it would take less water to float the boat, and the jet sled style bunks would actually be beneficial sense their mounted to the frame and the boat rides 1/2 the height of the bunks.

Anyone have the similar problem with the newer kings? Is there any possible safety or structural integrity issues I should be concerned about by adding new holes in order to lower the bunks?

My other two kings trailers were better designed with the bunks closer to the frame, not sure why they changed them.

Thanks

I had similar issues with my last boat and King trailer....the bunks had the plastic caps on it so we were able to push the boat off when there wasn't enough water to float it...getting back on was easier than pushing it off....but a lower starting point would have been nice......would plastic covers for your
    bunks do the trick?
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

I've got the plastic covers on my bunks, and yea I have pushed it off the trailer more than once but am hoping that maybe I can fix that

On my XS I lowered my bunks 4-6". I couldn't run the side guides anymore, but it's so low the fenders work to guide the boat. Easier to get in and out of while on the trailer, seems like it tows better, launches/loads in shallower water. The only problem I have is the boat will rub the trailer frame rails a bit when loading. I've been going to install some UHMW where it rubs. Not sure what brand my trailer is.

I say go for it

I too run a Sea Ark Predator and the first thing I did to my King trailer was install a bow roller to the front crossmember. I can't believe Compo's didn't install one of these from the get go. Before I put that on it used to rub all the time. I also installed side guide rollers to keep it straight when the wind or current is bad at the launch. These help some, but she slides nice with the bunks all the way down too.

"Fish hard, Fish long"

Default Drilling holes

Anyone have the similar problem with the newer kings? Is there any possible safety or structural integrity issues I should be concerned about by adding new holes in order to lower the bunks?
    If your drilling holes in the uprights or brackets holding the bunks you should be ok but if your thinking of drilling holes in the crossmembers of the trailer then you may be causing problems.
    If your in Anchorage and would like to see some alternative mounting pm me and I will show you a few Ideas we do all the time.
    19' Lowe Roughneck
    90/65 Honda 4 stroke
    Outboard Jet

No just plan on driiling some holes in the brackets that hold the bunks.
    Hope to get around to it this week.