Thread: Bent Davit

Default Bent Davit

Talk about having a bad day. Got the string of shrimp pots stuck on the bottom (first ever), combination of wind, wave, and good puller bent my schedule 80 davit. Any ideas of a shop or who could pull it straight for me? Did finally get them free, no lost gear, and 10lbs. of tails.

Thanks
    Henry

I'd check one of your local fence companies. They bent some 80 for me when I built my trailer guide ons.

Jam the davit between two trees, hook a chain on the end, pull with truck till straight

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

A chain and tow hitch is all it took I guess I overthought a simple solution.

good call Steve
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

Default Master of Metal 02

This looks like a good place for the master of metal to put his nose where it probably don't belong.
    Once you bend that tube it is weaker than in it's original condition. Bend it again (while straightening) and it will look good but be even weaker still. With out getting into all the folicle alingment thing, I'd suggest at least adding a stiffiner if you don't want to replace it!
    Of course, that's just my 02 cents worth. I'm headed out tomorrow to try and bend mine
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Alasgun View Post
    This looks like a good place for the master of metal to put his nose where it probably don't belong.
    Once you bend that tube it is weaker than in it's original condition. Bend it again (while straightening) and it will look good but be even weaker still. With out getting into all the folicle alingment thing, I'd suggest at least adding a stiffiner if you don't want to replace it!
    Of course, that's just my 02 cents worth. I'm headed out tomorrow to try and bend mine
    Mike
    You'll tear your house off before you bend that thing!

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

I know Heavy Weather Boats in anchorage (349-4325) has a bender that could bend the sch 80 alum. No matter what you do you will need to add a stiffener?

Looking around now for something to slide up the tube. Have a friend that bought a stainless solid rod to slide into his davit and tacked into place. What he paid for the ss rod I could buy three davits For now, as long as I do not do the same as last time I got stuck, its working fine. I'm sure if I search around I'll find something to stiffen it up.

Default Aluminum Welding

My name is Jason. I live in Wasilla. Charge 60$ an hour (everybody else is 80$ or more) for aluminum welding. If you need something welded or stiffend up just give me a call. 715-2007 or visit my website at www.alumineyman.webs.com