Thread: headed south for my instrument rating

Default headed south for my instrument rating

I have finally decided to finish my instrument rating. I'm looking at using American flyer's out of Santa Monica. Has anyone used them? If so, what did you think? I figured I'd better check around before I dropped a wheelbarrow full money on this endeavor.
    At sea, it's force not reason that confers sovereign rights

Quote Originally Posted by guns68 View Post
    I figured I'd better check around before I dropped a wheelbarrow full money on this endeavor.

WOW , it was nearly free back in the 80's with state of AK. student loan grants.

I'm using student loans for this, but with a decent day job, house, wife and kids I have not been able to secure too much as far as grants are concerned (outside of qualifying for a portion of a pell grant). If you have some information, I'm paying attention.

Thanks
    At sea, it's force not reason that confers sovereign rights

Default suggestion

Not really answering your question, but have you looked into Sheble's? It was the cheapest by far when I did it. They have housing there too. It was like $2500 back then. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by guns68 View Post
    I'm using student loans for this, but with a decent day job, house, wife and kids I have not been able to secure too much as far as grants are concerned (outside of qualifying for a portion of a pell grant). If you have some information, I'm paying attention.

Thanks

No, sorry I do not have any current information. Back in the 80's if you got the rating a large chunk of the loan was forgiven, 50% or more as I recall.

American Flyer's is a good school, not cheap but you will get done and know your stuff and it will not drag on for months. I did my CFI at ATE out in Long Island NY way back in the day 1976. ATE became American Flyers. When they bought ATE. The Santa Monica office use to be ATE back in the day. Good instruction.

Default Instrument rating

I would really look at Ocala Aviation. Very reasonable prices, a nice house to stay in right by the airport and great instuctors. They use a DPE that is based at Jack browns seaplane base so you might be able to do a SES or MES while you are down there.

If you are a CAP member you could do it at the Elmendorf Aero Club.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Default here is a great instructor

I don't know his rates but he is a great instructor. It wouldn't hurt to give him a call.Bill Zaleski, 518 596-6956