Thread: What is your favorite fast lens?

Default What is your favorite fast lens?

A couple months ago more than half of my lenses were stolen and I'm on the slow road to replacing them. I'm going to be in the market for some fast glass again and it made me curious. What is your favorite fast lens and why? Just curious.

Smile

I have gone down the Canon rat hole, so it's Canon compatible glass for me.

Digital Rebel Xti
    70-200 f2.8 IS
    1.4x
    2x
    Tokina 11-16 F2.8 DX...GREAT for northern lights on a crop camera!
    Tamron 28-75 F2.8 Macro

Wish list....

EOS5D2
    24mm F1.4
    It's only money!
    I'm a truck driver on the Dalton year round, so I get to take lots of pictures!

Another Canon shooter, here. I haven't acquired the coveted 70-200mm f/2.8L yet, so my current favorite is the 50mm f/1.4 "nifty fifty". And although it's not "fast", I do really like my 28-105mm f/4L.

Canon 70-200 F2.8 with matching 1.4 and 2X Canon converters. Will take care of 70% of the wildlife shooting in Alaska.
    Tennessee

Canon 70-200 f2.8L IS II USM, and a Canon 16-35 f2.8L II. Fast, sharp, and wonderfully efficient on either of my two Canon 7D bodies.

Jim

Default Nikon shooter here . .

70-200mm f/2.8 AFS-VR
    85mm f/1.8D
    50mm f/.8D
    20mm f/2.8D
    300mm f/2.8 AF-S VR

Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8

I recently sold my 85 and 50 primes to fund the purchase of a 300mm f/2.8, which fits what I'm shooting . .

The only really fast lens I own I got last week. Bought it used from a friend who is a professional pet photographer. It is the Canon 50 f/1.4 and it is excellent. She sold it to me and bought the 50 f/1.2. My interest is landscape and wildlife but I have slowly been growing more interested in portraits. I wanted a better lens for that so I got the 50 f/1.4 and will add the 85 f/1.8 soon I suspect. You want "fast", look at some of the better prime lenses. I am blown away by the sharpness and low light shooting ability. Makes a nice compliment to the bag of zooms that I usually rely on. Tons of reviews on the forum Photography on the net, a very active board. For lens reviews, visit the site SLR Gear.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

I agree with a low aperture lens and I would add make it a fixed lens with no zoom.

Above pic of "Duke" in the truck on way up to cabin. No flash with a Sony 50mm 1.4 lens. It's a cheap lens for around $350.00 and what I would consider my fast lens.

If I feel energetic and don't mind lugging it around I'll carry my 500 IS F4. Although it doesnt see hardly any use the last couple of years. Was thinking of selling it but if I go to a camera with a full size sensor it might be needed again.
    Tennessee

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwolfe View Post
    If I feel energetic and don't mind lugging it around I'll carry my 500 IS F4. Although it doesnt see hardly any use the last couple of years. Was thinking of selling it but if I go to a camera with a full size sensor it might be needed again.
    That's a real nice lens, and it should hold its value quite well. You could always sell it and buy two FF-sensor bodies We are talking about over $6K for that lens. If you ever get tired of it, and feel generous, you could always send it to "poor me." I would pay for the shipping.

I have a few lenses but not real fast ones. A favorite of mine is the EF 200mm f/2.8L USM II. This lens is about an inch longer than the 100mm Macro, is fast-focusing, and sharp as a tack. No need for a tripod ring for this lens since it's so small. While I do have the 400mm f/5.6L (I really like this lens), your 500 would be perfect for bird photography.

Quote Originally Posted by danattherock View Post
    Canon 50 f/1.4 and it is excellent
    Yep, the good ol' "nifty fifty". That same lens is one of the ones that was stolen. Absolutely fantastic for portraits and I've even found good use for it at concerts. Construction isn't as sturdy as some, but for the price it won't break the bank if you have to replace it.

I would love to have the 70-200mm f/2.8L and am thinking that may be my next purchase. I really miss my 400mm f/5.6L even though it isn't a particularly fast lens.

Quote Originally Posted by Twist View Post

Quote Originally Posted by danattherock
    Canon 50 f/1.4 and it is excellent
    Yep, the good ol' "nifty fifty".
    Dan's lens is the 50mm f/1.4; the "Nifty Fifty" term applies only to the Canon 50mm f/1.8 II lens and is as much a reference to the less than $100 price as it is to any quality.

Both Canon and Nikon offer very low cost 50mm f/1.8 lenses, and each has about the same quality (exceptional for a $100 lens, but not at all comparable to the higher priced 50mm f/1.4 lenses they also offer).

Quote Originally Posted by Floyd_Davidson View Post
    Dan's lens is the 50mm f/1.4; the "Nifty Fifty" term applies only to the Canon 50mm f/1.8 II lens and is as much a reference to the less than $100 price as it is to any quality.
    Perhaps its a regional thing then because every photographer I know refers to all his/her 50mm primes as "nifty fifty" with the exception of the "thrifty fifty" which is what I've always heard the 50mm f/1.8 II called due to its low price as you've mentioned. Perhaps myself and every photographer I've met in the past 5 years is wrong, in which case...I guess I'm wrong. All I know is what I've grown up with but I appreciate the clarification.

"nifty fifty" indeed refers to the 50 f/1.8, the less expensive option. The value is largely why so many folks have this lens. I had one, gave it away to a friend who was getting started out. So I bought the 50 f/1.4 which is about $350 or so. The 50 f/1.2 is over a grand. They all are great depending on your goals and budget. I can say with certainty the 50 f/1.4 is better than the 50 f/1.8 I had before it. But with my abilities and budget, I will never shell out a grand (or more) for the 50 f/1.2.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

I will throw my vote in for the 70-200mm F2.8II as well. It is by far my most use lens. The 16-35MM F2.8 would be a second and then the 500mm F4. Looking forward to getting out tommorow with it for some moose.
    US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page

Default Another Nikon shooter...

Nikkor 300mm f/2.8 VR will snap shoot a flying Merganser so you can count the feathers. It's a great lens for your Nikon's, also works well for getting those scenics without the hike. Quick, fast and sharp...I super glued it to the Nikon. (well, I thought about it)