Thread: Nancy lake pike

Default Nancy lake pike

I was thinking about heading out to nancy lake this week with my kayaks. I was wondering what the best technique and also the most productive end of the lake is. I heard herring was a good thing to use, is there any other good bait to use? Thanks -jimbo

i bagged up some hooligan from the past run I am going to try and use it in salt water for silvers in Seward, but I don't see why it wouldn't work for pike too?

try the whole lake...did really well last yr later in the year. we used herring, but i've heard that hooligan works well. We also used some top water stuff that worked really well and was fun to watch when the pike struck. Lynx lake right were the portage is, there is a large group of weed beds that are pretty productive for hammerhandles...good luck

"I Envy Him And Him Only, That Catches More Fish Than I Do" Izaac Walton 1653
    The question of hunting is not a matter of life or death... it's more important than that

I would go with Rapala's in a golden color rather than bait. It's more time efficent and the fish go crazy over them. Find the weeds.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Wife and I were there Sunday. Fished from 4-9 PM Only landed one pike about 30" long. Hit on a F-7 Red Flatfish. Tried lots of flatfish, rapalas, spoons and wiggle warts. Fished the weeds at the other end of the lake then went up the slough to the bridge. Lots of pike in the slough but not hitting anything. Snuck up on a sandhill crane family about 30 feet away that enterained us for about 20 minutes. They were totally cool and didn't spook. Had 3 little ones. I think its a little early yet for the pike to get aggressive at Nancy.

Was out there Saturday from noon to 8pm and caught a bunch. Used Rapala's:
    And Jitterbugs:

Have fun!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Arcticman View Post
    Was out there Saturday from noon to 8pm and caught a bunch. Used Rapala's:
    And Jitterbugs:

Have fun!!!
    I used that same rapala. You must have cleaned them out. They need cleaning out!!!

We did better throwing mepps in the weeds at them than using herring.

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by chico99645 View Post
    I used that same rapala. You must have cleaned them out. They need cleaning out!!!
    I used the Jitterbug and my buddy used the rapala, he slayed them. Every third cast in one spot.

What can I say, I love the top water strike! Now if only the sportsman warehouse would stock Hula Poppers.