Thread: Early Spring Bear Late Post

Default Early Spring Bear Late Post

Been real busy lately, So I am just getting around to posting on a black bear I went on during the first and second of may. We went early due to the the limited time my brother was going to have off (because of the construction season kicking off it is hard for him to get weekends off any later). So we decided to go early, even though we knew our chances would be better late in may. We went out of whittier on friday night and and were up early in the morning saturday glassing. We covered some ground with the boat and glassed quite a few different hillsides for bears/ tracks. Hiked in to a couple of known "honey holes" to check for activity. Nothing, First time I had been out there on a spring bear hunt and had not spotted any thing after 10 hours of glassing but usually we are out there 2-3 weeks later. So we decided to take a break and find some shrimp.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default nice shrimp

Have to look at it as you got to spend some good time with your brother and catch a few tastey shrimp.. The bears were a bit togher this year for some reason out their.. I prefferred earlier than later for some reason and saw way more bears between the 16th and 22nd than I did the 23rd - 27th. Congrat's

Hoytguy

Default Later that afternoon

Around 5pm my brother finally spots a bear right around 3/4 way up the mountain. He was just milling around his den. He wasn't the biggest bear but being a legal bear, and the only bear we had seen on our weekend bear hunt, we decided to go after him. We spent a little time planning for the wind and noting the terrain in order to get as close as possible. This bear was on a pretty steep slope so we knew he would have a great vantage point and proper preparation would be paramount. We headed up the mountain; my brother carrying his 45-70 with some freshly loaded beartooth piledriver jrs. we had loaded up special for this hunt, and I was carrying my 375 H&H. We had an agreement that if we were able to get within 100 yards Ben would get to try out our piledriver load and anything up to 200 yards outside of that I would use my 375 H&H. The hike was steep but the thigh deep snow we had to post hole up in was what really killed us. We took our time and picked our way up to the spot we had picked out. We were just below the bear and I ranged him at 158 yards. We looked around and discussed options for getting closer but eventually agreed our options were limited. So I hooked my snipe pod up and got in position to take the shot. I had to wait a minute for the bear to clear the alders and when he did I shot him through the front shoulder and vitals at the same time. (I like to try to take away mobility on bears and vitals simultaneously). He jumped up and I hit him again in the same shoulder this time he didn't get back up. Both 300 grain TSX hit within 1 inch of each other in the left shoulder. 1 exited right in front of the right rear quarter and the other out the right ham. I have attached a link to a video feel free to have a watch. It was not the biggest bear I have shot but the hunt and stalk was a special as any I can remember. We worked considerably harder for this bear than any other prince william sound bear hunt I have been apart of. Not to mention the coat was as thick as I could have asked for. The bear only had one spot on his front right paw (you can see in the video) that was rubbed I am guessing from walking around in that deep snow or sleeping funny on it in. The bear squared 5'7" and the skull measured just over 16". All and all, it was a fantastic experience and I was lucky enough to end up with some delicious bear meat on top of the memories.

Bear Hunt Video

Quote Originally Posted by Hoytguy View Post
    Have to look at it as you got to spend some good time with your brother and catch a few tastey shrimp.. The bears were a bit togher this year for some reason out their.. I prefferred earlier than later for some reason and saw way more bears between the 16th and 22nd than I did the 23rd - 27th. I guess thats why they call it hunting though.. Congrat's

Hoytguy
    Thanks for the response. Sorry I was a little slow getting my second post out with the vid. That is when we usually head out on the weekend of the fifteenth or the the first weekend after. That has seemed to work for us also. Just wasn't going to work out this year. I was just amazed at the amount of snow that was on the ground just 2 weeks earlier than normal. Insane the, difference 2 weeks makes.

Cool video! Great hunt, nice bear, congrats. Thanks for the vid and story