Thread: Building a floating dock

Default Building a floating dock

Hey all,
    I'm going to be building a floating dock for our new cabin site on a lake. I'm going to be using blue plastic 55gal drums filled with foam as the floats. Any ideas on what type of foam and where to have it done or get it? I don't want to buy 5 cases of "stuff" spray foam and do it... any ideas?
    I'm also open to any ideas any of you may have for lashing them together and attaching the planking to the drums. I plan on using pressure treated 2X6's unless someone has a better idea... plastic deck planking maybe?

Kindest Regards,

Mountiantrekker

Why foam? Close the bungs with their plugs sealed in pipe thread sealer. That's all you really need. Enough spray foam to fill them will be spendy.
    A 55 gal drum of air will float roughly 400 lbs.

The last one I built we had a pretty smooth area to work. We laid out 4 barrels even spaced of 20 feet (20' long x 40" wide dock) on the ground. We then built a frame of treated 2x8's around them with cross pieces to lock each barrel into place and then evenly spaced the rest of the "floor" joists. Then we decked the whole thing over with treated wood decking. We now had a dock sitting on four 55 gal. drums sitting on land. Three of us just pushed the whole works into the water as the drums spun in their "pocket" and acting as wheels.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Foam because if one gets punctured by oh say a bear or an errant .22 round etc. it wont take on water and be useless. I have lived around bears for a bit now and they chew on everything, outhouse seats, ATV tires and seats, furniture, canoes etc.
    I don't worry about cost so much when it's done right and will save me headches or my life down the road.

Mountaintrekker

Try looking for a contractor that does home insulation. Might be the best way to fill a bunch of drums with foam.

I have 4 pieces of styrofoam that I was going to encase in fiberglass, but am not able to use them now. They are 1 foot thick, 4 feet wide, and 16 feet long. There are for sale for $150.00 apiece.

Could drive your boat right up onto this dock, lol.

u can buy gallons of expandable foam from any taxidermy supply-mix equal parts of a and b and look out.It expands quite a bit.A 2 gallon kit(1gallon of A and 1 of B) runs about $100.00.have agreat day-Lloyd