Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Broadheads for Moose

Default Broadheads for Moose

there is a lot of different types of Broadheads on the market, but i'm looking for the "Right" one!

i recently drew a tag for Minnesota's "once in a lifetime" fall moose hunt. i am an avid bowhunter, but i would like some advice as to what type of broadhead other successful moose hunters have used?

in your opinion, whats the best broadhead for moose???

thanks!

Default Lots

Asking this in the bowhunter thread will get you more resonses.. then again asking which make of vehicle people preffer will get you a dozen answers and arguments for each also.. What has worked for me in the past is 3 blade 100 grain muzzy, I have taken 2 decent bulls with this broadhead. My wife also took the biggest cow moose I have ever seen with this tip also.. Currenly I use the 100gr. Ultimate steel thats manufactured by Rocket I believe.. This tip has taken several bears.. both black and browns, caribou and deer..

Use a good bow that is properly tuned, correct spined arrow with a minumum of 100gr broadhead thats razor sharp. Practice, practice and practice.. be comfortable with your equipment and you should have no problem downing a moose of a lifetime.. Good luck

Hoytguy

The best one to use is the one that flies straight. I've been using 100 grain Thunderheads for over a decade now. In that time there have been countless "new and improved" broadheads released, hundreds of expert articles on which is the best, and a number of discussions on the very topic on this site. All of that being the case, I stick with the Thunderheads. They fly straight and have very sharp blades. For relatively easy-to-kill animals like moose and caribou, what else do I need?

I've never shot a moose yet with my bow but have killed bears and deer with Magnus Stinger broadheads. Great broadheads, sharp, accurate, lifetime guaranteed, and a cut on contact style. I wouldn't be afraid to use these on any game animal out there...but there are also many other great broadheads are there also.

thanks for all the advice!

Default Muzzy

Muzzy's have been real good to me for over 12 years and I've killed moose, caribou, bear and deer with them and all were pass through shots up to 75 yards. But you must shoot what is good for you and your shooting style I stick to what works for me, my hunting partners shoot everything under the sun and have had good success also. Find what fits your price range and that you shoot well and go get that trophy moose. Good luck

Default I used Theads...

when I got my moose, so you can't go wrong with that one...Likewise, just like Brian said, you want one that'll fly striaght...if MN allows expandables for Moose, try them out, they're very accurate, & the Spitfires fly true...

Know where to shoot the moose as well, only vitals should be targed, the LARGE vitals...lungs...TONS of sq ft there for a target, & practice with one broadhead, as you'll probably bend the tip of yer broadhead in the process, out to as far as you can.

Default Muzzy Three Blade

I took my moose with Muzzy 3 blade and it performed better than I thought anything would on such a big animal. Penetrated great and almost came out the opposite shoulder. I have never had a problem with Muzzy.

Thumbs up 3 blade

I Wensal Woodsman 3 blade 150 grain on goldtip 55/75 carbons with a 100 grain insert out of a 55lb recurve. Tune your arrows to your bow to fly straight and what ever head you use make them as sharp as you can. Heavy arrows perform best on big animals like a moose.

Wait for the right shot and hit the vitals and you can't go wrong (visualize the exit for best placement)

Good luck!

like it was mentioned before,..ACCURACY first, .... of coarse you want a tough durable and sharp BH. I am a tournament/competitive shooter. (state, sectional and national champion) and accuracy rulzzzz!!! I am a hunter, and i bring the same philoshophy to that arena also. Of all the bh's I have shot over the years there is one that is in my quiver,...... SLICK TRICK. they fly more accurate and forgiving than any bh ive ever shot. btw..they took down my moose last fall in about 12 seconds. I use slick trick 100 grain standards. durable sharp, and ACCURATE.

I use the montec one piece broadheads 100g. they also make a practice broadhead that is black that looks just like the regualr one but its not sharp so it doesnt eat up your practice targets as fast.
    Justin

PIE FACED

what do you know about bowhunting gogoalie?

Default Pie face...

don't know much, perhaps you can teach me...my mind is open...

Howard HIll is recognized as the world's greatest bowhunter of all time. That includes consideration of Fred Bear and others. Howard took an African elephant, lions, and other of that continent's big game animals, and each was taken with his own broadhead design. For a time, I was Howard's Alaska representative, and had an oppurtunity to hunt with his equipment design, including his laminated bamboo longbows and his fantastic broadheads.

After having taken a handful of big game with his broadheads, I can tell you that there is none better. Won't windplane, will cut almost three inches of green bone, and are perfectly proportioned to provide maximum penetration. I've never found a broadhead after it took a big game animal for me. They all fully penetrated and simply went on to vanish over the slope of the mountain or somewhere in the bush.

Say what you will, this is the ONLY broadhead for the truly serious bow hunter, in my estimation. To add some weight to my opinion (maybe!), I will say that I was a wilderness lodge owner and an Alaska Registered Guide for nearly thirty-five years.

My $0.02 worth.

Muzzy, Slick Trick, Wasp...used them all on a pile of moose with no problems. Vertually any good manufactured, sharp broadhead that flies well for you will work.

I would stick with a good cut on contact head like a Stinger. Every moose that I have shot with a Magus stinger has been a pass through. Good shot placement is the key. If you get both lungs they will not go more than 100 yard max.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    The best one to use is the one that flies straight.
    A agree with Brian M, the one that flies straight is the one to go with. I decided to go with the NAP Bloodrunner because so far its been the most accurate one for me.
    Diamond Marquis

Default blood run

fyi can't use the blood runner for moose,
    Bow hunters do it with longer shafts

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat View Post
    fyi can't use the blood runner for moose,
    Good point....

After years of research and development the general concensus is that the best broadhead for any animal is a SHARP ONE!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast