Thread: a bigger Esquif cargo canoe ??

Default a bigger Esquif cargo canoe ??

Hi
    I have been harassing the folks at esquif, to produced a larger version. How many might be interested in a 20' royalex cargo canoe with a beam of 50"?
    would make a very durable and lightweight hunting canoe

Default alaskan freighter

I think it would be popular here in alaska but whatever happened to the Osage moose hunter?? Alumacraft used to make a 21 foot freighter if I remember correctly years ago but it's been dropped from their line but I'm sure they still have the form to stretch it on.

Default Mainer.... yoo hoo!

I bet when Mainer comes back to civilization he jump on that idea, fast.

He's going to have to install a portable satellite internet dish onto his canoe from now on so he can keep up around here.

Default Esquif and Royalex

The problem with a big Royalex freighter for use with significant motor is a lack of stiffness. It would require substantial structural strengthening to take the outboard's thrust on such a canoe without serious flexing.

I talked to Scott about a Kevlar Albany model. Was told that it would require substantial structural reinforcement to match the stiffness of the fiberglass model. Would weigh about 150#, a savings of 35#, but the cost was way out of my ballpark. A Royalex boat would be far more flexible, than Kevlar. I'm of the opinion that an .050 aluminum hull would be the best compromise of tough, stiff, and lightweight. The only problem is finding someone to make one (or two).

I own a River Hawk B-60 has a 720 LB. load rating is fiberglass and not suposed to sink. I's 15'3" square back w/60" beam.Sad to say 195LB.My hawk runs 21.6 gps with 9.9hp.Almost impossible to turn over (remember I live in lower ALABAMA)

Default Might be

Quote Originally Posted by grit View Post
    Hi
    I have been harassing the folks at esquif, to produced a larger version. How many might be interested in a 20' royalex cargo canoe with a beam of 50"?
    would make a very durable and lightweight hunting canoe
    What was the response from them? Did they give you an idea of what the cost would be? How many of us would it take to get them to do it? Rick makes an interesting point. Did you discuss that aspect with them and what would the solution?

I too have metnioned to them about creating a larger one, I've also talked to old town too......no luck.

an 18.5 ft. esquif cargo would be about the perfect size moose hunting canoe for serious lining, poling and motoring, but for now.........I make due with a 17.5 footer.

no keel and rocker that the esquif provides will save your life if you ever went accross a boulder field in the class ll-class lll range in setember. The quick manuevering, and turning with either a paddle or motor is paramount to safe navagation of a river with a square sterned canoe. Back to the water for my canoe n I.........have a good summer folks.......time to go scout for a moose.