Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 32 of 32

Thread: Arrowtooth Flounder

  1. #21
    Member ak_powder_monkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Eagle River/ Juneau
    Posts
    5,154

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 270ti View Post
    Can they harvest the "penny fish" without halibut bycatch and without destroying the sea floor? I hope they figure that out before they create a new fleet of draggers here in ak.
    I'm doubt there will ever be a targeted arrowtooth fishery, its a small market, more likely it'll be selling longline bycatch.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

  2. #22
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    1,276

    Default

    270i I wanted to reply to you as your concern is laudable. I'm sure there is some bycatch but it's part of the deep water flatfish complex and is manged as a group. So if they do catch halibut at a certain point it will shut down all deep water flatfish fishing.
    There can be no "new fleet of draggers" as an LLP is in place. The fishers who would target Arrowtooth are already here and fishing. (have been for years). I would hope you would support this fishery as it will (*maybe) help halibut and other finfish stocks.
    Monkey is it is a fairly large fishery. Not huge, but millions of pounds are likely for the Gulf. From what I understand it's relatively clean for a bottom fishery. If I have time I'll look up the numbers, but hopefully I'll be fishing and not talking fishery management.

    For everyone else. Arrowtooth is edible but like most mentioned breaks down very fast. I don't mind catching them, but would prefer other fish for sure.

    Tight lines folks!!

  3. #23

    Default

    Arrowtooth is one of the largest biomasses in the GOA. The draggers target them, but only get a few cents a pound. Like AKBrownsfan said it all depends on when they hit the hard TAC on halibut so they are never even close to reaching the TAC on arrowtooth, which is 100's of millions of pounds. They have to do a 24 hour turnaround on them and the product is flash frozen as soon as it hits the processing plants to neutralize the enzym that makes the meat mush. It's then sent to China for fillets. The flounder on Long John Silver's Alaskan platter is arrowtooth.
    Originally the only valuable part of the fish was they fin meat. They sold it to Korea I think. Anyway the fishery has been around for awhile, but it always comes after the higher value fisheries have been executed.

  4. #24
    Member chico99645's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Palmer
    Posts
    1,481

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TBinKodiak View Post
    Arrowtooth is one of the largest biomasses in the GOA. The draggers target them, but only get a few cents a pound. Like AKBrownsfan said it all depends on when they hit the hard TAC on halibut so they are never even close to reaching the TAC on arrowtooth, which is 100's of millions of pounds. They have to do a 24 hour turnaround on them and the product is flash frozen as soon as it hits the processing plants to neutralize the enzym that makes the meat mush. It's then sent to China for fillets. The flounder on Long John Silver's Alaskan platter is arrowtooth.
    Originally the only valuable part of the fish was they fin meat. They sold it to Korea I think. Anyway the fishery has been around for awhile, but it always comes after the higher value fisheries have been executed.

    Great Information!!! Thanks

  5. #25

    Default

    I'm preparing a report right now and there's arrowtooth broken out in it. Here are some stats for the Port of Kodiak
    Pounds of Arrowtooth caught out of Kodiak in 2008: 38.3 Million lbs.
    Exvessel value (paid at the dock) in 2008: $2.68 Million

    Pounds of Arrowtooth caught in 2009: 29.5 Million lbs.
    Exvessel value in 2009: $1.77 Million

    That breaks out to 6 or 7 cent a pound. Like I said above the TAC on arrowtooth is in the 100's of millions of pounds though so it is definitely under utilized. They just need to figure out a way to catch them without getting the halibut.

  6. #26
    Forum Admin Brian M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Eagle River, AK
    Posts
    11,599

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TBinKodiak View Post
    They just need to figure out a way to catch them without getting the halibut.
    Or they need to figure out a way to make the fish worth more so that fishermen targeting halibut are willing to give up valuable fishhold space for arrowtooth. At 6 cents a pound, it's hardly worth the trouble.

  7. #27

    Thumbs down

    I saw Arrowtooth on sale here in Vancouver's Chinatown for $1.00/lb today-from the look of those things they weren't selling all that well.

  8. #28
    Member AKBassking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Big Lake Alaska
    Posts
    1,944

    Default

    Who would have known that there was such a market........

    ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

  9. #29
    Member ACNDHO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    wasilla
    Posts
    395

    Default Great halibut bait.

    Arrowtooth aka turbit will not hit their own and they live with the halibut.
    Even a jackass won't stumble on the same stone twice.

  10. #30
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Redwood City, CA
    Posts
    254

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ACNDHO View Post
    Arrowtooth aka turbit will not hit their own and they live with the halibut.
    That would be "turbot", a common name for them in BC (even though they aren't turbot). I have also heard them called green flounder. Definitely good halibut bait. I did try to eat one once, before I knew anything about them. The meat completely disintegrated.

    Big_E

  11. #31
    Forum Admin Brian M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Eagle River, AK
    Posts
    11,599

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ACNDHO View Post
    Arrowtooth aka turbit will not hit their own and they live with the halibut.
    Turbot and arrowtooth flounder are not the same species.

    Turbot:



    Arrowtooth flounder:


  12. #32
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Juneau
    Posts
    258

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Arrowtooth flounder:


    Dang... Those things look almost as ugly as one of my old English teachers...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •