Thread: Black Bears and Rainy Weather

Default Black Bears and Rainy Weather

I am not new to hunting, but I am new to hunting Black Bear. So my question is this. Are black bears like white tail deer in the fact that a little colder and wetter weather will get them up and moving ?

I know that when I have hunted deer that was pretty much the case. A bit colder and wetter weather was ideal hunting, but I don't know about black bear.

I am not talking about a steady good rain or a total down pour.
    Diamond Marquis

I think that's a pretty decent assumption. They move alot more based upon the time of year rather than temperature.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

well......it was raining pretty hard the other day here in the butte.....was glassin a patch of fallen timber......a blackie sow and her 3 cubs were on the move, feeding on skunk cabbage id suppose.....then yesterday it was off/on rain, watched a decent sized grizzly way up high on the same mountain. he didnt seem to mind the wetness, plus it was really windy up there. In my opinion its time of year, availability of food, and location.... they move with the food sources throughout their waking months.

Release Lake Trout

With Black Bears, time of day also plays a huge factor.

Down here in S SE when the sun comes out the Bear hide !!!!

Default what i've seen

is that bears will be out in the rain feeding as normal, unless it is really pouring. same thing for windy conditions. but if it is super windy and rainy same time, they usually lay down in the hemlocks to wait it out.

Quote Originally Posted by AK-Sniper View Post
    I am not new to hunting, but I am new to hunting Black Bear. So my question is this. Are black bears like white tail deer in the fact that a little colder and wetter weather will get them up and moving ?

I know that when I have hunted deer that was pretty much the case. A bit colder and wetter weather was ideal hunting, but I don't know about black bear.

I am not talking about a steady good rain or a total down pour.
    AKSniper,
    I have seen black bear activity all day long over baits but:
    1. The bigger bears are usually more active the last hour or so of daylight
    2. Food competition ( drought - no berries etc ) will influence activity
    3. The windier, or the heavier the rain, the slower it can get for sure.
    4. Heat can influence as well
    I think anything that hinders their sense of smell and hearing is what will slow their activity. They don't want to become "the prey"
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Quote Originally Posted by muskeg View Post
    Fortunately, that's only 3 days a year!

I've honestly never noticed a pattern for when bears are out, except you better be looking right before dark. They sure aren't shy up on the Alpine though. I can go out on my deck with my spotting scope and find a bear up in the alpine at any hour of the day!

Default Anytime

Especially over bait.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by muskeg View Post
    Doesn't everything and everybody down there hide when the sun comes out?
    I may be slow, but I get where I'm going!

Up here in the Interior I havent seen a bear one in the rain or wind. Funny thing is I havent seen one when its hotter-n-blazes out either walking the shores, but just in the trees in the shade Ive seen them and shot them.And lastly we have taken 7 bears from one stand and have yet to kill one there between 1 am and 10:30 am
    The other day when it was pouring rain like no tomorrow, we got wet in the stand and still had two heaters going we didnt see anything till it died down.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel in Ak View Post
    Up here in the Interior I havent seen a bear one in the rain or wind. Funny thing is I havent seen one when its hotter-n-blazes out either walking the shores, but just in the trees in the shade Ive seen them and shot them.And lastly we have taken 7 bears from one stand and have yet to kill one there between 1 am and 10:30 am
    The other day when it was pouring rain like no tomorrow, we got wet in the stand and still had two heaters going we didnt see anything till it died down.

LOL well because you COULDN'T see until it died down.. it was a wall of 16 oz water bottles falling from the sky with 40mph winds behind it...

the funniest part was Daniel and Mark coming back to camp the next morning with curly hair from the lightning strikes on the hill above them...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

The hair straightend out after it rained the second time.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel in Ak View Post
    The hair straightend out after it rained the second time.
    here is a photo of that storm shortly after it let up a little bit and we were not holding up the ten roof any more.. not a very good shot but if you look the rain drops are still huge!

"If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here