Thread: Lets be careful out there.

Default Lets be careful out there.

After years of riding ATV's..probably 30 years since I first threw my leg across a Honda 90 3-wheeler.. I had my first real wreck yesterday.

I was called to help out in recovering a 4 place RZR broken down way back at the end of Petersville Rd. In my haste I left my helmet in my truck when I switched vehicles to my buddy's truck who was towing the bikes. Eight of us headed out gear up to extract this BIG ATV. We decided that rather than beat the trucks and trailers up we would park past Kroto Crk. and ride the rest of the 32 miles in. All went well and Dave from Alaska Mountain Magic was able to get the RZR into gear (broken shift linkage) and lock it in with wrenches and tie wire. The owner was able to ride it out.

The mood was light as we headed out. Since we were riding out on the road we were smoking right along. I never felt like I was riding above my ability, but I was definitely wrong. I was coming into a corner pretty hot and got on the brakes pretty hard. Unfortunately as I slid around the corner my front right tire dropped into an eroded channel in the trail/road. My machine flipped about the right front corner throwing me into the air. I actually landed on my heels and we found my heel marks in the dirt 20 feet from the last wheeler tracks. The machine ended up 40 feet from the initial start point, facing back where I came from on it's wheels. I figure my speed at that point was about 35 mph.

My first thoughts as I flew through the air was "oh my god, I'm not wearing a helmet". I managed to get my arms and hands up to cover my face and top of my head. Judging from the big bruise on my head and the road rash on the back of my hands, it most likely saved me from more serious injuries to my head. My heels hit first, I slammed to my knees, slammed onto my chest, smacked my face (cover by my hands and arms) into the dirt. At this point I remember something crushing my right leg and passing over the top of me. Judging from my injuries to the back of my calf it appears that one of the racks crushed it.

I struggled to get up, spitting out dirt, because there were still 5 riders behind me and I was afraid of getting run over. My right leg wouldn't work and I end up in ditch with a small trickle of water. This went into my right boot and I was convinced the wet feeling was blood. I pretty much assumed I had a compound fracture and was removing the boot when my friends arrived. Luckily there was no evidence of even a fracture. My toes worked, my ankle worked, and my knee worked. My friend Dave is a fellow fire fighter and rescue guy with me on our department, so we walked through everything to make sure I was able to proceed. We were pretty sure my leg wasn't broken and my neck and spine checked out. I decided to ride the ATV out since the only other option was a helicopter. Within a few miles my senses came back and other than my leg I was relatively pain free.

The ATV suffered mostly superficial damage. All four corners of the racks are bent down 4 to 6 inches, the handle bars were flattened to the seat and there is a electrical glitch to the speedo.

I did a lot of thinking on that 20 mile ride out and felt pretty stupid and humiliated. I have preached for years about wearing a helmet and I forgot mine. I had no business pitching a full sized utility 4x4 ATV through corners like it was a racing quad. They simply aren't designed to suck up the bumps like a machine designed for it. I was definitely riding above my ability at that point and I shouldn't have been pushing it that hard. Had that rack hit my spine, my torso, or my head I wouldn't be typing this. Most likely some of you would have been attending my funeral.

Wear your helmets guys. You'll never know when you might need it. Ride within your abilities and don't let other guys push you beyond them. I get to miss a couple days of work with a HUGE bruise covering my entire calf, road rash on both my hips, part of my head and the back of my right hand. Both knees are burger. I'm too old for this crap

Just in case some folks were wondering in the back of their minds, there was no alcohol involved. None on the trip at all.

Be careful out there folks and come home to your kids
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Excellent reminder for all of us. Glad to hear you made it out ok.
    Never count your days, but rather, make all of your days count.

this reminds me! does anyone have a helmet i can have or buy cheap for when i ride my 3 wheeler? i been wanting one for a while but havent had the dough to buy one. i think i wear a tight large or a loose medium.. let me know if you got one you dont use no more or upgraded to a different one. i was hoping to win one at the cleanup but they were just kids helmets.
    Semper Fi!

Dont worry about it greythorn, I think your ship has already sailed...

Good reminder Doug, thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dkwarthog View Post
    Dont worry about it greythorn, I think your ship has already sailed...

Good reminder Doug, thanks

HAHa!!!! I think you might be right! oh well
    Semper Fi!

AKDoug-

Excellent reminder. Thanks for posting that. I'm glad you're ok. I imagine you're sore today?
    "If snowmachiners would adopt the habits of riding one at a time and not parking at the base of avalanche prone slopes, the number of fatalities would likely be whittled by at least a third, if not by half." ~ Jill Fredston, in the book Snowstruck, In The Grip Of Avalanches.

Glad you weren't hurt. It's a sobering reminder to ride careful and even the most mundane day could turn exciting and not in a good way. I had one major atv wreck in my day, going too fast down a bumpy gravel driveway on a nonsuspended three wheeler. Was wearing a helmet but one with no chin gaurd. I still have a couple small scars when I look closely in the mirror. Ride safe everyone!
    Last edited by outnaboutnak; 06-15-2010 at 22:04. Reason: Spelling and grammet

Default Glad you are Ok Doug

A sore body and repairs for you and a reminder for the rest of us.
    Mike
    Mike
    www.alaskaatvclub.org
    There is a faster way off the mountain, might hurt a little though.

Doug,

Excellent reminder!!! I am glad to hear you are ok (for the most part). This story echoed back to a ride I did in 2007 where my wife flipped her quad at King's River. She was wearing her helmet and no alcohol was involved. She ended up with 10 broken ribs and a punctured lung. It cost her 17 days in the hospital, two emergency surgeries, and six weeks of missed work...not to mention almost $150,000 in medical bills over the following 6 months (thank God that we both have 100% coverage insurance!!!!).

My wife had been riding for 10 years (at that point) with not one single accident. She is a GREAT rider and makes smart choices on the trail.

It can happen to anyone at any time!!!!!

This also brings up another point...folks, if you are riding with someone ask your friends to check their gear. Ask them when they load the truck and then physically check their gear when you suit up. It is about being a good friend and making sure everyone of us makes it out alive..EVERY TIME!!!!!
    2007 Yamaha Rhino 660
    2007 Yamaha Grizzly 700 SE w/EPS
    http://www.grizzlycentral.com/

I was lucky. I have a resiliant body, but I couldn't move until around 2 pm Tuesday. The bruise on my left leg looks like a spawned out chum salmon Anyhow, I crawled back in the tractor trailer rig today and worked 10 hours. I hurt, but I'm going to live.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Good to hear you made it through ok bud! Things like like that really make you think things through next time your out. Good post!
    US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page

Took the kiddos out to Hatcher pass yesterday. Great ride. Safety prevailed but after reading your account I can see what could have happened.

Thanks for your reminder and glad you are still walking.

Will definitely use your example to gently remind my boys about safety.

AKDoug posted this thread up about 6 days ago and got me to thinking about my wife's wreck from 2007. I got a call yesterday from my wife informing me that her boss (we ride together on occasion) was involved in an ATV accident on Saturday off of Petersville Road. This instantly got me thinking about this thread. Turns out his story is just about a carbon copy of AKDougs story...

He was visiting friends up in P'ville and was headed home for the day. He rounded a corner pretty hot and hit the brakes on his 2007 Arctic Cat 700. From there, he does not remember anything. Luckily he had a mutual friend that can fill in the spaces. Evidently, after he hit the brakes in the corner his front tire caught a rut and rolled. Luckily, he had a helmet on or he would have been killed. Even with the helmet he has a concussion, busted up knees, and 5 broken ribs. He was knocked unconscious for approximately 20 minutes (eyes rolled back in his skull and foaming at the mouth) and required CPR. He spent one night in the Matsu Valley Hospital and was allowed to return home. Thank God he is ok (for the most part) but once again, this serves as a reminder of how things can change in an instant on a quad. Be safe out there folks. He said he never thought it could ever happen to him but he knows different now. He will probably be off work for a week or so but his riding season is done for the summer. He hopes to be back in the saddle for sled season but will probably have pain issues for the next few months because of his ribs.
    2007 Yamaha Rhino 660
    2007 Yamaha Grizzly 700 SE w/EPS
    http://www.grizzlycentral.com/

Doug,

I am glad you are ok . Your a pretty tough individual. Thank you for sharing the story. I will stop by soon and see how your healing up.

Dave G

Doug - Good to hear that you are mobile! When it hurts, rub a little tough on it!
    Mike