Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 56

Thread: "Thank you" to the stand up guy from Sunday at the Kenai

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Eagle River
    Posts
    53

    Thumbs up "Thank you" to the stand up guy from Sunday at the Kenai

    My family and I moved to Alaska in December with the Air Force. I have never fished for salmon and have not done much fishing at all in the last several years d/t school and deployment. An AF friend and I got our kids up at 3 a.m. Sunday and drove to the ferry crossing to fish. We hiked up the Russian a ways to find some solitude and give the kids a chance to learn how to "flip". After a while, we made our way back down to the Kenai. I hooked one shortly after getting there, but lost him after a little bit.

    A fisherman next to my friend and our kids hooked 3 reds in about 25 minutes, and each time he immediately handed to rod to one of our kids and coached them while letting them fight the fish and reel them in. I could not believe someone would do this. He (I shook his hand and I think he said his name was Keith) gave my kids a terrific memory that they will have forever. They have called all of their grandparents and let them know what that they caught their first salmon because of "this great fisherman at the river". If this fisherman is on here, or if anyone knows who he is, I'd love to buy him lunch sometime. Thanks again for doing this for the kids and for me. It will help me to continue to remember that it's about the experience, not about what you bring home

    Eric Goosman

  2. #2
    Member pike_palace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    the 907
    Posts
    2,326

    Thumbs up

    Sounds like a great experience! They'll be dying to go fish Reds every year! You must be careful on this board though. The politically correct police are always prowling for stupid stuff like letting your kids reel in fish you hooked.

    Sounds like you guys had a real good time and that is all that matters.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

  3. #3

    Default

    politically correct. pshh 3 reds isn't going to ruin anything and the kids loved it. i hope a fish and game guy wouldn't say anything about that. in Seward if there are kids around me and the guys i go with we always try and get them to bring em in. its all about the smile it brings to the little ones. and its not like i don't have a few in the freezer already if it gets off.

  4. #4
    Member JediMasterSalmonSlayer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    North Pole, Alaska
    Posts
    1,837

    Default Hats Off!!

    I agree, great job to the gent!! Fish on you will be rewarded for your kindness and ability to share the thrill.
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com


  5. #5
    Member sayak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Central peninsula, between the K-rivers
    Posts
    5,788

    Default Isn't that the truth!

    Quote Originally Posted by pike_palace View Post
    Sounds like a great experience! They'll be dying to go fish Reds every year! You must be careful on this board though. The politically correct police are always prowling for stupid stuff like letting your kids reel in fish you hooked.

    Sounds like you guys had a real good time and that is all that matters.
    I have no problem with helping kids fish. The Regs Police sometimes don't know where to stop.

    The gentleman you mentioned, Goose, is the kind that will keep sport fishing alive in a time when interest seems to be waning in the general population.

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stop4mallards View Post
    politically correct. pshh 3 reds isn't going to ruin anything and the kids loved it. i hope a fish and game guy wouldn't say anything about that. in Seward if there are kids around me and the guys i go with we always try and get them to bring em in. its all about the smile it brings to the little ones. and its not like i don't have a few in the freezer already if it gets off.

    Totally hit the nail on the head. I did the same exact thing last year, in front of a tropper down at the Russian. A father/son were not having any luck at all, seemed new to fishing. I hooked one and let the kid real it in and keep it. I counted it against my limit and the trooper didn't say anything. I figured as long as it is against my limit, no law is broken. Like mallards said, had a few in the freezer already.

  7. #7

    Default

    Good story. Hooking 3 in 25 min with this run (so far) and he knew what he was doing .

    With that said I don't think any laws were broken. If the kids had caught 2 additional fish and limited out you could argue this back and forth. But one per kid and they didn't catch anymore. Guy stopped after three - no issue

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    590

    Default Good stuff

    Nice.......

    Quote Originally Posted by gooseafcrna View Post
    My family and I moved to Alaska in December with the Air Force. I have never fished for salmon and have not done much fishing at all in the last several years d/t school and deployment. An AF friend and I got our kids up at 3 a.m. Sunday and drove to the ferry crossing to fish. We hiked up the Russian a ways to find some solitude and give the kids a chance to learn how to "flip". After a while, we made our way back down to the Kenai. I hooked one shortly after getting there, but lost him after a little bit.

    A fisherman next to my friend and our kids hooked 3 reds in about 25 minutes, and each time he immediately handed to rod to one of our kids and coached them while letting them fight the fish and reel them in. I could not believe someone would do this. He (I shook his hand and I think he said his name was Keith) gave my kids a terrific memory that they will have forever. They have called all of their grandparents and let them know what that they caught their first salmon because of "this great fisherman at the river". If this fisherman is on here, or if anyone knows who he is, I'd love to buy him lunch sometime. Thanks again for doing this for the kids and for me. It will help me to continue to remember that it's about the experience, not about what you bring home

    Eric Goosman

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    590

    Default Karma will get them

    Karma will get those who have it coming.


    Quote Originally Posted by pike_palace View Post
    Sounds like a great experience! They'll be dying to go fish Reds every year! You must be careful on this board though. The politically correct police are always prowling for stupid stuff like letting your kids reel in fish you hooked.

    Sounds like you guys had a real good time and that is all that matters.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Hartford Michigan
    Posts
    440

    Default

    Always good to see these kinds of threads.

  11. #11
    Member pike_palace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    the 907
    Posts
    2,326

    Default I must agree

    Quote Originally Posted by 2PawsRiver View Post
    Always good to see these kinds of threads.
    Isn't it? Especially coming from you.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

  12. #12

    Thumbs up

    Having done this type of stuff, more times than I can remember and condoning it's practice, it still needs to be said to newbies reading this post, that if you do it, you can only allow the kids to keep the number of fish you are allowed on your own license. Then you are done as well. Last thing anyone wants to do, is to have the kids watching the troopers writing a ticket to the guy, if the law is not obeyed. Leaves a bad impression for them to remember.

    BTW: Thumbs up to the guy for treating the kids to some action.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  13. #13
    New member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    1

    Default I was with Gooseafcrna

    This kind stranger helped my daughter reel in a sockeye and it was something she will never forget! Besides being a beautiful day for fishing, this skilled fisherman made the day of two families...and we enjoyed our salmon last night with neighbors and friends and man-o-man, they were so tasty!

  14. #14
    Member 6XLeech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Eagle River
    Posts
    2,162

    Default Thanks for sharing this story...

    Great memories for you and your children and an exceptional gesture from this other fisherman.

    There are probably many smaller kindnesses by Alaskans on streams that we don't hear enough about, but this day was special - especially for your kids as you say. Great!

  15. #15
    Member Jimw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    452

    Thumbs up

    It's all about the memories!!! I myself have done this countless times in the past. If you can make a great memory for a kid(s) and keep them interested in the sport and not the TV, have at it!! My granddaughter can not wait to go fishing every spring!! She now 6 and that is how I started her fishing. I cast and hook, neel down behind her, and hold the rod while she cranks and fights the fish. If you stay with in your limit who cares who hooks it and land it IMO

    Two thumbs up to the helper!!
    2005 20' Weldcraft Sabre XL 350 MP
    SD309 AT
    2009 Polaris Dragon 800 163
    Custom Mod's

  16. #16

    Default

    ehh - I give it two thumbs down, four if I had them:

    If I was 5 years old or 55, I would have said no thank you to the rod handoff. I like to catch my own fish. The handoff to kids idea is NOT something I would applaud doing at all; no less in front of a trooper as one of the responders indicated. It doesn't teach fishing, or teach appreciation of fishing; catching fish is the result of fishing, not receiving a rod with a fish on it from an adult. Throughout my life, I've watched people, usually better fishermen, catching big fish in front of me, and my reaction has never been an inkling of jealousy or need to "let me reel it in".

    Better to (teach children to) look, and say "that's a nice fish!"

    Aside from legalities (people typically keep reds, we have no idea how many fish this guy caught - what fish he had on a stringer before, what fished he handed off to someone else, or fished for after, handing off these 3 fish); what is described - to me - is not what fishing is about and not the sort of thing that should be taught to children. And, with the fish handoff thing - you're making it difficult on enforcement - I'm no authority on the law. But generally, if you caught your limit, you quit fishing; you don't continue fishing and hand off rods. I'm not sure if rod handoffs are even allowed or what the regs say; other than I doubt the regs say "who cares?"

    I, for one, care.

  17. #17
    Member 6XLeech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Eagle River
    Posts
    2,162

    Default Sometimes, kids know best...

    The best things in life are often simple, especially to kids. I don't know how young Eric's (the OP) kids are, but when he shared this story, I took it much in the way I would if my neighbor had told me his kids had a blast because of some simple such kindness of a stranger. The point of the story would mostly be the smiles on those kids faces. I wouldn't make anything more of it. Life comes on fast enough - there's time for learning all the other stuff.

    Let's ask Eric: Hey, gooseafcrna, were them kids smiling?

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Juneau, AK
    Posts
    161

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stevesch View Post
    ehh - I give it two thumbs down, four if I had them:

    If I was 5 years old or 55, I would have said no thank you to the rod handoff. I like to catch my own fish. The handoff to kids idea is NOT something I would applaud doing at all; no less in front of a trooper as one of the responders indicated. It doesn't teach fishing, or teach appreciation of fishing; catching fish is the result of fishing, not receiving a rod with a fish on it from an adult. Throughout my life, I've watched people, usually better fishermen, catching big fish in front of me, and my reaction has never been an inkling of jealousy or need to "let me reel it in".

    Better to (teach children to) look, and say "that's a nice fish!"

    Aside from legalities (people typically keep reds, we have no idea how many fish this guy caught - what fish he had on a stringer before, what fished he handed off to someone else, or fished for after, handing off these 3 fish); what is described - to me - is not what fishing is about and not the sort of thing that should be taught to children. And, with the fish handoff thing - you're making it difficult on enforcement - I'm no authority on the law. But generally, if you caught your limit, you quit fishing; you don't continue fishing and hand off rods. I'm not sure if rod handoffs are even allowed or what the regs say; other than I doubt the regs say "who cares?"

    I, for one, care.
    Someones didn't get any hugs when they were young^^^^^^^^^^

    Thats Ludacris, There is nothing wrong with it period. Who cares if it is legal, it's not a big deal and everyone including the troopers know that. For Gods sake, it's handing a rod to a little kid, not harpooning whale and then dynomite fishing for halibut.

    And BTW it is teaching them fishing, reeling in fish is just as important and getting them to bite.
    I Wish i could change my name to Shimano, because i recently started hating Ambassdor Abu_Garcia.

  19. #19
    Member Lake creek fishermen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Skwentna, AK
    Posts
    854

    Default

    stevesch,

    God forbid what was that? Teach the kids something fun and give them memories for in the future they can become good fishermen. If your kid goes and fishes with you, weather sucks, bite is off and they have a bad time not catching fish, it makes them not want to fish or do with it at all.

    Now if its fair weather, kids catch some fish and they have a good time they WILL want to fish again and they will have pleasant experiances. I would like to thanks the gent you handed off the rod to the young kids! He will get good karma and who cares if it is a little law brake? Not like they kept them or anything. Tight lines!
    -Its better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.
    -Put some excitment between your legs, ride a polaris!
    -Local 907 Riders Union
    http://www.youtube.com/user/AKMackdaddy?feature=mhee

  20. #20

    Default

    It was not stated who kept the fish so can't say it wasn't legal. The way I read it the kids hauled in the fish the man kept them and counted them.

    I see the argument if the river is full with fish but it is not. Very small chance of catching if you don't know exactly what you are doing. Not very different from me rigging rods for guests testing it out moving / adding weights telling them where to stand and then they catch.

    You got to seperate this from someone that goes with a "veteran fisher". The op stayed he was new, haven't fished for salmon. Kids wouldn't have caught and maybe never wanted to go back. If you grow up with people that fish all summer / year then of course it is a different thing...,,

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •