Thread: Halibut help out of Whittier

Default Halibut help out of Whittier

So I'm new to this whole owning a boat thing. I've found a couple of spots for shrimping and feel I'm doing ok thus far.

Now I'd like to try to find a spot to try for some halibut, but I have no idea what I'm looking for at all. Can a noobie get a little help please?

Thanks!

dan

How far out of Whittier are you willing or able to go?

In general the closer you fish to the harbor, the slower the fishing will be, and you'll also have to fish pretty deep, more than 300'. The closer you get out to Montague, the better the fishing will be.

Default I'll go out to...

I think at this time Knight island is as far as I'd like to run. So far the furthest I've been out is main bay.

Dan

Default Read the other PWS halibut posts

Consider anchoring. 500 - 600' rope and a system to pull it up. Look for structures - pinnacles, bumps that raise up from deeper water and fish on those. 2 lb weights + to keep your bait on bottom.

Good luck

Default Meant to say

That I would go out as far as knight island right now.

Dan

Trial and error, my friend. Further south from Whittier is generally better. If you're not getting nibbles an hour on either side of slack tide, you're probably in a bum spot. Log the locations you fish and note whether they work or don't work. Over time, you will develop your own record of which holes produce when and which spots to avoid.

This is the only way to go. If someone tells you they are giving you the location of a good hole, they're full of it.

You gotta work hard over a couple of years before you will begin reaping the rewards of boat ownership. Besides, the process is half the fun!

Quote Originally Posted by littleblackdog View Post
    Consider anchoring. 500 - 600' rope and a system to pull it up. Look for structures - pinnacles, bumps that raise up from deeper water and fish on those. 2 lb weights + to keep your bait on bottom.

Good luck

Dittos

have seen some caught out near Lone Island.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/