Thread: Ketchikan Halibut fishing

Default Ketchikan Halibut fishing

I am planning on a fishing trip to the Ketchikan area in 07 or 08. Have heard more about the salmon than the halibut fishing in this area. Have fished Juneau and Homer for halibut in the past and was wondering how this area is for halibut. Would be coming in late july or august. Plan to rent a boat and do self guided fishing with maybe one day of chartered fishing just to get started. Also how would the new proposed halibut regulations affect self guided fisherman.

The new regs won't affect self guided non-resident fisherman.

Charter regulations only.

Halibut fishing is good around here and (weather permitting) can be reached by skiff from one of the rental docks.

HI

Here is a place to check out Skiff rentals. http://www.knudsoncovemarina.com/index.htm They are on the far north end of town about at the end of the road. It is a real short run from here to some real good fishing. I would watch the weather real close in a small skiff. Good Luck

Woody

Thanks for the information. I was mostly concerned that a person would have to run for an hour or two to reach the good halibut grounds. Have a trip planned for juneau area this year, but am planning on coming to ketchikan area in 2008. Just trying to look and plan ahead.

Quote Originally Posted by smwwoody View Post
    HI

Here is a place to check out Skiff rentals. http://www.knudsoncovemarina.com/index.htm They are on the far north end of town about at the end of the road. It is a real short run from here to some real good fishing. I would watch the weather real close in a small skiff. Good Luck

Woody
    This is a very good suggestion.
    Last August we did the self-guided skiff rental out of Knudson Cove.
    We did rather well with the Halibut.

We just made reservations for the second week of July '08 for the same gig.

We headed for the west side of Guard Island. We got some quality Halibut and a few good sized rock-fish...Yellow-Eye and such.

However there is a stiff drift. Kinda PITA. But we tuffed it out and succeeded.

Does anyone else have any other good places out of that marina...for Halibut?

Camino point is good for early silvers and bottom fish. We did very well fishing about 50 yards off of the rock pile. BE VERY CAREFUL the weather comes up very quick. You may want to check with Clover Pass Resort, They used to rent some 18' fiberglass boats with a rag top. I would not go too far in a skiff.
    Good Luck

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer Hog View Post
    This is a very good suggestion.
    Last August we did the self-guided skiff rental out of Knudson Cove.
    We did rather well with the Halibut.

We just made reservations for the second week of July '08 for the same gig.

We headed for the west side of Guard Island. We got some quality Halibut and a few good sized rock-fish...Yellow-Eye and such.

However there is a stiff drift. Kinda PITA. But we tuffed it out and succeeded.

Does anyone else have any other good places out of that marina...for Halibut?
    Try about 1/4 mile off the east side of Guard Island, about 250-280'. Vallenar Bay produces as well as Vallenar Point.

Quote Originally Posted by kingfisherktn View Post
    Try about 1/4 mile off the east side of Guard Island, about 250-280'. Vallenar Bay produces as well as Vallenar Point.
    Thanks,
    Vallenar Bay looks good. I just looked at it on a chart http://www.charts.noaa.gov/OnLineViewer/17428.shtml

Looks deep and sandy...perfect!

Quote Originally Posted by fishmaster View Post
    Camino point is good for early silvers and bottom fish. We did very well fishing about 50 yards off of the rock pile. BE VERY CAREFUL the weather comes up very quick. You may want to check with Clover Pass Resort, They used to rent some 18' fiberglass boats with a rag top. I would not go too far in a skiff.
    Good Luck
    Do you mean Caamano point? I assume yes..

What side? Looks like about a 1/4 mile or so off the southeast.

Thanks!

Yes Caamano point. Between the point and Helm Bay. If the silvers are in you will see other boats over there. Also as mentioned by Kingfisherktn Vallenar Bay is a good place for halibut but its a long way in a 14 or 16' lund w/ a 15 hp motor.

Quote Originally Posted by fishmaster View Post
    ...but its a long way in a 14 or 16' lund w/ a 15 hp motor.
    So with that in mind, what about one of those 18" Wooldridge Deep Water Sedans and or the 22' Hewescraft Sea Runner that Knudsen's rents?

Also, speaking of rental boats. Is there any other good suggestions for more rental options in that area...18' plus? ...public/private? 4 consecutive days in early July '08.

Looks like we're going to target the west side of Gravina Is. and Caamono Pt. as well as the west Behm Canal.

I know that you would have a much better time if you were to rent a larger boat. I am sure that its going to cost quite a bit more than a skiff. A bigger boat opens up a lot more fishing area to you. Clover Pass Resort had a few 18' fiberglass boats w/ a rag top, 1 main outboard and a kicker that they would rent out at a reasonable price. I am not sure what K.Cove wants to rent the Hewes or the Woldrige but I am sure that its not cheep.

Thanks,
    Vallenar Bay looks good. I just looked at it on a chart http://www.charts.noaa.gov/OnLineViewer/17428.shtml

Looks deep and sandy...perfect!

I ran a charter boat out of Ketchikan from 90 to 95, main thing I remember about Vallenar was alot of turbot and other trash fish and not alot of halibut.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by AkKings View Post
    I ran a charter boat out of Ketchikan from 90 to 95, main thing I remember about Vallenar was alot of turbot and other trash fish and not alot of halibut.
    Just gotta know where to drop that hook. grin

kingfisherktn

I didn't have any trouble finding halibut, I just found them elsewhere.

1250 miles S/O paradise in the lwr 48 dreaming of SE AK

Default Ketchikan in 07

I fished out of clover pass this last summer in July they rent some newer jetcraft boats with down riggers and 90 HP motors but they have a map and will only let you take them so far so check it out. I trailered my boat up there and fished. For the most part the bigger halibut were not caught close to the resort at that time of the year. I had talked to the charter operators and they were running about 50 miles out to get the bigger fish.

From my experience this last summer if you want big halibut go with a charter or try another spot the small boats you will rent you not take you to the better spots for the bigger fish.
    Mike

Thanks for the info guys!

As far as the Halibut go, I'm not after the "Bigger" poser fish. I'd rather catch in the quality 50-75 pound range.

So are there any other places to rent boats out of, other than Knudsen's or Clover Pass? (For that area)

We're going to secure reservations on the boat rental with in a couple of weeks.

1250 miles S/O paradise in the lwr 48 dreaming of SE AK

Thanks for the info guys!

As far as the Halibut go, I'm not after the "Bigger" poser fish. I'd rather catch in the quality 50-75 pound range.

So are there any other places to rent boats out of, other than Knudsen's or Clover Pass? (For that area)

We're going to secure reservations on the boat rental with in a couple of weeks.
    Try 10-15 Lbs that is the size we caught close in. 50-75 were the 50 mile trip. They did tell me later in the season the bigger fish move into the bays to feed on spawned out salmon carcuses that wash out. Good luck it is all fun I had a blast.
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by muskeg View Post
    The new regs won't affect self guided non-resident fisherman.

Charter regulations only....
    They will very likely affect all residents if the "stairstep down" provision is triggered, as it looks like it will be. The NPFMC has already approved the action to be taken... 1 fish per day, 3 fish per year, with shorter seasons or in-season closures if necessary. It's just got to get past NMFS and it's done.

Yes, that part (NPFMC) only applies to guided sport-fishing, but one of the gripes of many charters and sportsmen is that there are often 2 sets of regulations to follow for a given person or circumstance. ADF&G has promised to follow suit once the Federal regs are in place so that the State stuff matches the Federal. Of course, I tend not to believe much of anything Denby Lloyd says until it actually happens, but that's more of a personal issue... I'm sure he's perfectly good on his word.

If State regs are changed to match Federal "Guided" regs, hopefully it will curtail some of the underground and grey-market guiding that goes on so much up here.

-Case
    M/V CanCan - 34' SeaWolf - Bandon, OR
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]