Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moose trip

Default Moose trip

I drew a Dm210 on the 20 mile river but may have to cancell due to my partner leaving the state. I knew he lost his job but figured he would stay but he is leaving the first of July for Maryland.....poor him.... but he hasnt even bothered to tell me he is leaving, afriend told me plus he just sold his gun. Now all my other friend dont hunt or even shoot firearms. I know...hard to believe. Debating whether or not I want to be out alone for a week.

All the more reason to go Solo........

A hunt on the 20 Mile solo probably isn't a good idea, especially for moose. With that being said, you've got plenty of time to find someone that can go with you. Do you own a boat or have you ever been up the 20 Mile?

I hunted the 20 mile for moose a while back, I do not see the problem going solo except for having to pack out an animal and finding a location to camp. 20 mile is not a easy hunt because of the brush. You could spend a lot of time looking for a hunting spot you like, depending on your method of hunting. If you do not know how to track in brush, I would learn before I went there.

Drew the permit years ago and whacked a young bull just off the river.
    A solo hunt is nothing to be afraid of.
    I'm sure you could find some other hunter to join you if you didn't feel comfortable though.
    Scout it out this summer and see what you are getting yourself in to.
    BK

Get the list of permit winners and see if someone else wants to team up. It's not uncommon for folks' hunt plans to go south because of a partner being unable to go, so perhaps you could connect with someone in a similar boat...er, situation.

Heck, I'd go with you for a weekend to be a pack horse, but I can't do it for a week.

Default dm211

i drew 211 which is anterless for twenty mile and placer drain ages and i am going to go up every weekend until i get one i imagine it will be a easy short i have seen tons of moose in that area, i would team uo with you, i am planning on going in on foot or getting dropped up river and floating down. do you have a boat?

I drew DM210....pm me if you want. Could be up for something.

Mustang0335,
    Thew 20 Mile River area is a mini-hunting/fishing paradise!
    If you have the boat transportation to get into the hunt unit, then start scouting now. If you don't have the boat, then why did you even apply for the permit?
    Don't debate. You have the remainder of summer to scout and learn all about the hunt area. You might also find a few silver salmon as the summer and fall progress along.
    You drew the permit. Are you a hunter?
    If your answer is truly "Yes I'm A Hunter", then invest your heart and soul into the hunt! Your gonna see a BUNCH OF MOOSE AND BLACK BEARS back in there. (Also mountain goats up in the rocks.)
    If your not a hunter, then eat the permit. That is what the PETA and Defenders Of Wildlife guys do. They apply for permits and win a few. Then they praise themselves for "saving a moose". Man, where do you stand?

Dennis

Dennis...is that how you hunt? From a boat???? I have all the equiptment needed for any hunt but I am not cruising up and down the river trying for the easy shot.
    There are many grizzly in this area as well and was wanting another pair of eyes to keep watch after the moose is down while dressing it.

The boat would be to get you and your gear in and more importantly to get 6-800 pounds of moose meat back out. How far can you pack an animal that size on foot? I will go a long ways for a sheep or goat, but about a mile or so depending on terrain is my limit on moose. Trying to haul a moose too far leaves too much of an opportunity for wasted meat. Both to the elements (rot) and one of the "many" grizzly bear (technically they are Brown bear) in that area.

Protection after an animal is down is a pretty weak reason for not hunting without a partner. There are lots of good ones but an extra gun for bear defense is low on the list IMHO.

Mustang,
    20 Mile River is most efficiently accessed with a jet boat or air boat. You knew that, right? You drew the permit so grab yourself by the nuts and start scouting so you will have a great hunt. Concerning bears, either black, brown/Griz... that is why you have a gun, right? When was the last time somebody got ate-up back in 20 Mile anyway? Good luck with your other forum responces. Now that your original partner bailed out, perhaps these other forum responces will provide you the confidence and mental toughness to go out and use your permit. Being out alone could be the greatest trip of your life, if your are comfortable with yourself. Solo hunts build toughness. Just shocking what you may learn about hunting and learn about yourself when everything depends on solo-you.
    Or, again, eat the permit.

Yes I am taking a boat back in and as far as hunting solo...I have been on more solo than with anyone. Raised on a ranch and guided many hunting trips and was a government trapper. Grandfather was a cherokee indian and was taught to hunt,trap,skin,track by my father and grandfather.
    Spent more time alone out than most people ever thought about. Have taken the majority of big game animals in the lower 48.
    I prefer to be a little cautious than foolish these days though. I will go alone if need be though. And yes it wuld be nice to have help hauling meat also :-) I do believe my son will be coming now. I plan on getting set up the day I arrive by sunset. Will be teaching my son how to read sign and track an animal. After I take the moose and have all the meat salvaged and taken care of then I will set up and teach him to call bear in. Hope to take a brown and a black while there.
    And yes i am taking my rod to do some silver fishing in the down time...........

Sounds like it's shaping up to be a great trip! I look forward to seeing some pictures and hopefully a story when it is all over. Hunting w/ children beats even the most skilled friend!

Mustang, You should be able to do it. Definitely go check it out NOW. Hope you have a boat...if not a few guys are showing up to chase silvers, you might be able to get a ride up the river. You'll need good rain gear. There are a few bears. PM me if you want more info.

any updates on your hunt? curious on what you have seen
    NRA life Member JVJ

Just got back from a hunt and wanted to wish Mustang a belated good hunt...AND tell you not to worry about the opinions of the lords of the forum! Cmon guys, some people prefer to hunt with a partner, and many on here have said it's wiser in Alaska to hunt with a partner - is it really your place to tell a guy to grab himself by the nuts, or to opine that protection from bears when an animal is down is a weak excuse for not hunting solo??

The guy asked a question, it's not that hard to offer assistance without second guessing his motives or his manhood. I'd expect more from a guide and from a moderator, but I realize that tone can be lost over the net, so let me say I offer this note as a constructive thought, and I hope that I misinterpreted the posts that I construed as negative.

MDHUNTER, you did not misinterpret my post opins.

Quote Originally Posted by mustang0335 View Post

I prefer to be a little cautious than foolish these days though.
    And yes i am taking my rod to do some silver fishing in the down time...........
    Seems like there is plenty of examples on this forum where caution would have been wise. I find caution to be the wiser choice myself these days.
    Good luck on the hunt if you go out...........solo or otherwise.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

jwolf

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaTrueAdventure View Post
    MDHUNTER, you did not misinterpret my post opins.
    Dennis, congratulations on your success this season, from what Iíve heard, that was one nice bear! Kudos for keeping the bar up as far as professional hunting is concerned and for working hard to inspire the rest of us..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast