Thread: Any halibut in Whittier?

Default Any halibut in Whittier?

Heading out of Whittier this friday, just wondering how the fishing has been. Is there any decent places to try for halibut? Thanks

Default Thats why it's called fishing not catching

Halibut you bet, caught Culross Passage North
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default See Halibut Migration post

Look through some of the Halibut posts for more places to fish in Whittier, but I'm coming to the conclusion that there are halibut many places in PWS - even closer to Whittier.

Fishing just before and after slack tide brought the best results when I went last week. Also, we anchored. Fished 350+ feet with 2 lb. weights. Herring bait, although next time I'm adding octopus to keep bait on.

Look for any structure that comes up to 350 - 250' from deeper. Even Ester Rock produces halibut - but again, I'd anchor next time and fish on a slope.

I'm still trying to figure it out too. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by littleblackdog View Post
    Herring bait, although next time I'm adding octopus to keep bait on.
    Great advice. The biggest headache about fishing deep (which is ideal in much of the Sound) is feeling like you have to check your bait after a while. Octopus solves this problem, and halibut absolutely love it.

Fish a red/white boneyard baits jig. Halibut go nuts over those.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Great advice. The biggest headache about fishing deep (which is ideal in much of the Sound) is feeling like you have to check your bait after a while. Octopus solves this problem, and halibut absolutely love it.
    Or an electric reel, I splurged and got some Daiwa 500FE reels, it makes doing a bait check from 400+ feet down a breeze.
    They've only got a 30lb pull so you're not going to use the motor to crank up a 300 pounder with no problem, but it sure makes doing bait checks nice.

And before the purists start grumbling about "dont need no stinking electric reel" I hamburgerized my left hand in a table saw in 05, and my wife weighs only 95 lbs soaking wet and is on dialysis. There's a reason I bought them.

Its funny though, the "purists" Ive had out first sneer at the reels, then when they acutally use them they want one of their own.
    2696 Sea Raider Pilothouse
    "Dominion"

Default Sunday's catch

My personal best catch out of whittier was last Sunday, landed 6 of ten hooked losing one very good fish to a break off of a tailer hook. It may have been over crimped. The six keepers were 82#, 52#, 49#,43#,40# & 32# from the length charts. My uncle from Oregon is up and landed the 82 lber. Not to be rude but I won't be sharing location. These were caught between 90' and 200'. After bleeding and letting them gill out the fillets were very clean. Whittier has put up a new rail to hang fish for pictures, but there are no nails or hooks to hang fish on. So the deck at the cleaning table will have to work for now.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by trapperbob View Post
    My personal best catch out of whittier was last Sunday, landed 6 of ten hooked losing one very good fish to a break off of a tailer hook. It may have been over crimped. The six keepers were 82#, 52#, 49#,43#,40# & 32# from the length charts. My uncle from Oregon is up and landed the 82 lber. Not to be rude but I won't be sharing location. These were caught between 90' and 200'. After bleeding and letting them gill out the fillets were very clean. Whittier has put up a new rail to hang fish for pictures, but there are no nails or hooks to hang fish on. So the deck at the cleaning table will have to work for now.
    Thats some great looking catch. Congrats!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Maast View Post
    Or an electric reel, I splurged and got some Daiwa 500FE reels, it makes doing a bait check from 400+ feet down a breeze.
    They've only got a 30lb pull so you're not going to use the motor to crank up a 300 pounder with no problem, but it sure makes doing bait checks nice.

And before the purists start grumbling about "dont need no stinking electric reel" I hamburgerized my left hand in a table saw in 05, and my wife weighs only 95 lbs soaking wet and is on dialysis. There's a reason I bought them.

Its funny though, the "purists" Ive had out first sneer at the reels, then when they acutally use them they want one of their own.
    My wife loves hers also. That little reel is awesome. If we could just get it converted from metric to american. Is yours in metric also?

Quote Originally Posted by chico99645 View Post
    My wife loves hers also. That little reel is awesome. If we could just get it converted from metric to american. Is yours in metric also?
    Yeah, its in meters, so I just convert it mentally to yards and its close enough, I can see my weight going down on the fishfinder anyway.

I found one online for $330 + shipping, but its labled in Japanese, I might get another one, all I really care about is the depth reading and that handy little motor control lever.

I tried to figure out the jigging functions but couldnt get it to work.

PS - Great catch Trapperbob! Some good looking fish
    2696 Sea Raider Pilothouse
    "Dominion"

Default elect reel

I bought on for the wife. $600 She is dying to try it out..