Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Willow Creek?

Arrow Willow Creek?

Hey!

I was wondering if anyone has been out to willow yet. I'm curious as to how its doing. Later on this week I plan to go up there for some flyfishing. I'm going to bring my 4wt for some Rainbows and Grayling (I just wanna make sure, its C&R for grayling and rainbows right? Because thats what I was planing to do.) But im wondering if its worth bringing my 10wt just in case a king shows up. I have yet to catch a king so i think it would be alot of fun to get one, but if there are are no signs of them I don't see a point in bringing the extra rod along.
    A bad day fishing is still better than a good day at work.

I'm headed up there myself some time soon. I have until July 18th off and I'm in search of a king on my fly rod.
    Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"

Default Choices

We have lots of options, I think we should just start at Montana or Sheep and work backwards from there! We'll figure it out before thursday though! A king on a fly rod would be sweet! I need to tie up some bright flies!

Saw two kings pulled out last night, both were fairly small, 12-15 pounds at the most. We were fishing for trout/grayling up stream and doing pretty good. Biggest landed measured 19" and very fat. Grayling are taking the smaller mosquito type flies where the trout have been hitting the larger ones.

Yeah I only know where Willow is, I haven't been to any of the other parks streams.

For trout I plan to try out Flesh Flies and Dolly Lamma(Black/White or Pink/Green)

For grayling I want to try a prince nymph. one of my friends say that they are pretty good and work on just about anything.

For kings I have some fat freddies and some flash flies.

I also have ESLs in a whole bunch of sizes and colors and a few hareball leeches.

So I think that for the parks systems I have the majority of it covered. what do you guys think?

Quote Originally Posted by supern8inak View Post
    Saw two kings pulled out last night, both were fairly small, 12-15 pounds at the most. We were fishing for trout/grayling up stream and doing pretty good. Biggest landed measured 19" and very fat. Grayling are taking the smaller mosquito type flies where the trout have been hitting the larger ones.
    Kings in the 15-20lb range are pretty awesome I think (but then again this is only my second season fishing and I only caught pinks and chums last year). I heard that if you catch the small ones and release the larger ones out to spawn, over time there begins to devlop a trend of increasingly larger fish. Ive also heard that the super huge kings don't taste as good as normal to normal/small sized kings. but then again that is just things I have been told by others.

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaIsCold View Post
    Kings in the 15-20lb range are pretty awesome I think (but then again this is only my second season fishing and I only caught pinks and chums last year). I heard that if you catch the small ones and release the larger ones out to spawn, over time there begins to devlop a trend of increasingly larger fish. Ive also heard that the super huge kings don't taste as good as normal to normal/small sized kings. but then again that is just things I have been told by others.
    I heard for every fish that spawns 3 of its eggs will survive the process of hatching all the way to returning to the river system. I am sure genetics play a part in the size of a fish too, but how much is the question. I'm not sure what the average size of a Willow Creek king is, never fished for them there. 15 pounds is a decent sized fish of any species!

Well I guess that all depends on what your used to. For me 15lbs is not that big, I have caught silvers and rainbow bigger then that so 15lbs isn't that big up here and I think most people would be a little disapointed with a 15 king. Now some one from out of state might be very happy so like I said, it all depends on what your used to.

As for the average size well I have no idea. We don't know the size of the fish that get away, but I have hooked and caught a few big ones out of willow so I think there is decent sized fish in there.

I did hear an interesting theory though, jacks go up stream to feed and survive in the summer then leave to the ocean. Now wether this is true or not jacks are able to spawn to. So this really has me wondering do they stay or do they go?

Jacks dont return to the ocean. They just go to fresh water as a way to avoid predators.
    -Its better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.
    -Put some excitment between your legs, ride a polaris!
    -Local 907 Riders Union
    http://www.youtube.com/user/AKMackdaddy?feature=mhee

that's what I thought........but now do they spawn or just hang out? THey can't stay alive in the river all summer so at that point do they die or leave?

Quote Originally Posted by Lake creek fishermen View Post
    Jacks dont return to the ocean. They just go to fresh water as a way to avoid predators.

Jacks do not return to fresh water to avoid predators. They are fully sexually mature with the 99% majority being males. They are on the same mission as the big ones, to spawn.

Im pretty shure a 1 year old jack isnt on the way to spawn. They get caught up with the big hogs on the way up. And yes its a survival type of thinking also. See other thread in freshwater buddy
    -Local 907 Riders Union

And they dont really contribute to the spawning but it does happen a few times. Its just kinda hard for then to compete with the bigger males. but they do spawn and die. Once they enter the rivers its pretty much over for them
    -Local 907 Riders Union

...ok

Juvenile Chinook may spend from 3 months to 2 years in freshwater before migrating to estuarine areas as smolts and then into the ocean to feed and mature. Chinook salmon remain at sea for 1 to 6 years (more commonly 2 to 4 years), with the exception of a small proportion of yearling males (called jack salmon) which mature in freshwater or return after 2 or 3 months in salt water.

http://www.nmfs.noaa.gov/pr/species/...nooksalmon.htm

It's all about research "buddy"

At no means am i trying to start something. I have worked around fish and game at the deshka weir for a while and this is were i got my info. The most common return is the 2-4 year kings (25-40lb) And the 5-6 would be the big hawgs. As stated the jacks are 2 year and under. There is the "Jill" but very uncommon. (99% is males) Just saying what i have heard from fish and game and some of my experiance.
    -Local 907 Riders Union

so what is it just their biological clock started ticking??????????????? See now I have more questions.........I thought the only smolt that stayed in the rivers were silvers due to the fact they are the last up river so they over winter there. So now I am seeing that king smolt stay in the river longer too?

I wasn't trying to start anything either, but you have to do a little research and back it up with facts before you start making claims. You also completely contradicted yourself in your posts. You seem like a faily determined fisherman for your age, so no worries and keep fishin.

oh ok that explains it, we got NOAA and the ADFG hmmmm.......... they are both full of it! But hey what ever sounds good.

who knows maybe your both right but I have no clue it just got me thinking about why I guess but thanks to both of you for your insight.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast