Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GPS

Default GPS

What would be the best GPS for Alaska? I was looking at the Oregon 550t or the DeLorme PN-60w.

Thanks Much

Default 550t

I was aimed towards the 550t too, but asked a friend of mine in Search and Rescue. He said GPS companies give their crew GPS's all the time, and their crew universally did not like the screen display on the 550t; he said it was challenging to read and they liked many other GPS's much better.

Did he recommend anything?

Default I'll report back

Quote Originally Posted by cavtrooper94 View Post
    My time with him was too short to get to that part...

Just now I shot him an email and I'll report back his recommendations for a mostly land-use handheld GPS (though I do use mine onboard my boat as well).

I've known him 40+ years and know he'll tell me straight. I will report back on this thread.

Whatever you like best....

I have a Garmin CSx 60 (or something like that). I didn't like it until I figured out how to use it.

My last GPS was a Garmin Blazer (really old). It was easy and got the job done.

When I got my new one it was confusing and didn't make sense. It took quite a bit of work, but I have no desire to get a "better" one 'cause I have this one figured out.

Have some friends show you theirs and see what appeals to you. You might need/want something others don't have and vice versa...

I run the Delorme PN-20 and have no complaints. The PN-60 has a much faster processor plus you can get it with the SPOT package if you want. Sounds like a win-win to me. The software for Delorme GPS is good, and you can subscribe to get the really good map packages for something like $30 a year for unlimited download. You only need that if you want highly detailed maps like USGS Quad or NOAA...the basic Topo maps are free.
    "If snowmachiners would adopt the habits of riding one at a time and not parking at the base of avalanche prone slopes, the number of fatalities would likely be whittled by at least a third, if not by half." ~ Jill Fredston, in the book Snowstruck, In The Grip Of Avalanches.

So, I have spent the last 4 days researching this very thing and after tons of reading here is what I have found...

The universal "gold standard" for a gps unit (experts and common users alike) is the Garmin 60CSx. It has constantly been proven to be the most accurate GPS unit on the market.

Most folks are reporting that the display on the newer touch screen garmin units (oregon, colorado, dakota, etc.) are not very good in day light and that the touch screen itself is not as durable after you get mud/dirt/dust on it and try to wipe it off and clean it in the field.

The 60CSx is durable and can be wiped down, washed under water, dropped, etc. and still outperforms 99.9% of the units on the market today. If you look, you can find one for around $200 or less. The big pluses of this unit are fast satellite acquirement, waterproof, color screen, bright display, custom mapping, ability to use on the trail or in the city (will accept city maps with turn by turn directions).

Delorme and Magellan are the two other big names in GPS units. These units are commonly referred to as less user friendly than the Garmin units although 90% of users agree that Delorme makes the best map software in the market.

Then Delorme NP-60w is interesting to me and is definitely the way I see the market going but I already have a SPOT unit so for now I will pass on that particular gps. If you don't have a SPOT unit I would consider getting one or buying the NP-60w for sure. I am sure garmin and Magellan will follow suit soon unless SPOT offered Delorme an exclusive contract like Apple did with AT&T for the Iphone.

Back to garmin...I like the features of the newer touch screen units but I like the performance of the 60CSx...and Garmin has answered the call once again.

Starting in July garmin is releasing the replacement for the 60CSx. The new Garmin 62st. It has all the reliable features of the older 60CSx with the updated processor and wireless features of the newer touch screen models (without the touch screen). The price is higher so the 60CSx will continue to be popular until supplies run out (assuming the unit will be discontinued). I plan on going with the 62st very soon.
    2007 Yamaha Rhino 660
    2007 Yamaha Grizzly 700 SE w/EPS
    http://www.grizzlycentral.com/

Doing some more reading and found a gps retail site that lists their top 10 handheld gps listed by sales...

Top ten handheld / sport GPS according to http://gpstracklog.com/

Garmin GPSMAP 60CSx
    Garmin Oregon 450
    Garmin Dakota 20
    Garmin Oregon 550t
    Garmin Forerunner 305
    Garmin eTrex Legend HCx
    Magellan eXplorist GC
    Garmin eTrex Venture HC
    DeLorme Earthmate PN-40
    Garmin Forerunner 405CX

Obviously this list does not account for the new Delorme Earthmate PN-60w (with SPOT) and the Garmin GPSMAP 60st, both out later next month.
    2007 Yamaha Rhino 660
    2007 Yamaha Grizzly 700 SE w/EPS
    http://www.grizzlycentral.com/

I saw that Sportsman's had the 60CSX on sale for $219, but they sold out in a couple of days. I went to Cabela's and found it for $199 in stock! It shipped out yesterday I'd jump on it if any of you are looking for a great deal on a great GPS.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te....form23&Go.x=0

Default ...

I've had the 60CSX for a while and sure like it. simple to use, easy to read, and always has gotten a signal quickly. Make sure to get the topo card and you're good to go!
    Know guns. Know peace. Know safety.

No guns: no peace. No safety!

Interesting to hear. I sure wish they would add a simple 3-4 megapixel cam to the 60 series. Not that I really want to use my GPS as my camera but it would be sweet to be able to pop a picture and have it instantly load as a waypoint. I have 3 years on my 60csx and I am very happy so far. I wonder how far away we are from having a 2-way budget friendly text feature. Garmin would be money ahead to develop that w/ iridium as the backbone!

Default ...

www.gpsnow.com Best place on the internet to find them (cheapeast too).

Lujon- While I'm all for neat little new features, I like to keep my GPS simple. Before this I had the Etrex Summit, and was great but have found that the topo maps made my life LOTS easier, and upgraded 3 or so years ago.

Sure do like mine 60!!

I have the Oregon 400T and am very happy with it. There are alot of functions on it that I will never use but they came standard on the unit.

I have the 60csx the Colorado 400t and the Oregon 550t with the camera. The 60csx is an awesome GPS. The only thing I like about the newer colorado and oregon is that the startup time is a lot quicker. It take about half the time to connect to the sattelites with the oregon as it does with the 60csx. Not a big deal though. The camera on the Oregon is pretty cool though I have to admit!
    US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page

What map should I buy for up here? Is there an Alaska-specific topo?

I have the mapsource CD for Alaska and load it and other parts of the US on my SD card and it is pretty decent has a lot on it that I wouldn't expect it to know, such as little tiny creek that I didn't even know had a name. There are probably better options out there, but it works well enough for me to not want to try anything else at the moment.

Default ...

I also have the mapSource CD, but my SD card doesn't have enough memory to do the whole state, and I forget to download sometimes when traveling to other places. You can just get an Alaska SD card and it has EVERYTHING and more, for up here. It is amazing to see it name creeks that even the people around here don't know the names of.

Is this the card you're talking about?

https://www.gps4us.com/GARMIN-TOPO-U...ard--P834.html

Is the 1:100,000 scale easliy readable? I'm a newb to this whole GPS thing.

Default Yes to Colorado and Oregon

Quote Originally Posted by cavtrooper94 View Post
    I just heard back from my SAR friend. he recommended the Colorado and Oregon, and said that his crew does not find the 550t easy to use.

'course he is an old fart, so don't take his negativity as rock solid; he did not say it does work, only that they don't enjoy using that model.

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    I just heard back from my SAR friend. he recommended the Colorado and Oregon, and said that his crew does not find the 550t easy to use.

'course he is an old fart, so don't take his negativity as rock solid; he did not say it does work, only that they don't enjoy using that model.
    Your biases are showing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast