Thread: Youth fishing around Coopers Landing

Default Youth fishing around Coopers Landing

Hello,

My family and I will be visiting Cooper's Landing next week and I was wondering if there is any good spots (lakes, rivers or streams) that a five year old could have some decent success. Any ideas on tackle to bring?

Thanks in advance.

Won't be much action in the river yet, but I'd suggest heading a couple miles south to Skilak loop and trying out places like Engineer and Hidden Lakes. There are trout possibilities there, though the action will be slow. Do you have a boat or are you stuck on shore?
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Thanks for the info. We will be fishing from the shore.

A trained monkey could do well on reds at the ferry... if they are in... Depends on how determined he is, when I was 5 I woulda been all about it...
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    A trained monkey could do well on reds at the ferry... if they are in... Depends on how determined he is, when I was 5 I woulda been all about it...
    Like your quote says at the bottom of your post, it's also about the experience. I don't think combat fishing is a good experience for a five year old. It also sounds like patience is not a good virtue in some of the fisherman down there.

Quote Originally Posted by Got1down View Post
    Like your quote says at the bottom of your post, it's also about the experience. I don't think combat fishing is a good experience for a five year old. It also sounds like patience is not a good virtue in some of the fisherman down there.
    Agreed but get off at the ferry and start walking until it is no longer combat fishing.......that solves that problem

If I were you I would go to the Russian river (pink salmon parking lot) and walk down river till you hit fish or go to bing's landing. don't take your son around that combat stuff, people can be just down right mean to there own mother over a fish, it isn't worth it and it might make it so he never wants to fish again.