Thread: Sheep hunting boots?

Smile Sheep hunting boots?

I have used the Kofalch mountaineering boots for years and love them, they are heavy but are great for side hilling, going down hill and with a heavy load, but I am sure there is something better.

In the current issue of BACKPACKER they mention several type. I am interested in your opinions.

Thanks

Thumbs up Sheep And Goat Boots

i have the koflach from barneys boots.

if you are looking for an alternative, look no further than then meindl canada pro. best all around compromise out there. they can be resoled as well.

does anyone know if the cabela's meindl can be resoled?

Default Sheep boots

I bought the Scarpa liskamm gtx from barnys best darn boot I ever wore bar none. Good support, stay very dry, and comfy. Only down fall is my wife wont let me were them to bed.
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

www.arcticconcealment.com

Default Sheep boots

I used La Sportiva glacier mountaneering boot last year on my first sheep hunt. I felt like I was walking in ski boots initially but after getting used to them I really enjoyed them on the hunt. I don't have the best ankles and they gave me really good support. I originally had went with the Lowa sheep hunter boots but got a deal I couldnt pass up on the sportivas.

I used the Lowa Sheep Hunter boots this last year and loved them. I have tried several different kinds including the Koflach but Lowa Sheep Hunters will be what I stick with now.

Default Lowa's

I second the Lowa extreme sheep hunter. They are the best boot I have ever worn

Thumbs up Lowa's

I also second the Lowa GTX extremes. These boots were the bomb on my Sheep hunt last year. Not only up in th e mountains but walking miles over muskeg. I don't like the plaxztics, for one reason that they don't give at all. I helped on a couple of surgeries from guys sliding on shale then there boots caught and it snapped the tib/fib and needed to be rescued off the mountain. I have done this many of times and the Lowas give alittle but doesn't give too much will it will break your ankle or sprain. IMO.

Default Lowa

I have the Lowas as well and that is one great boot.
    THere was a post on here a month or so ago with a pretty good discount for these, saved like 80 bucks.

Default Lowas

Yeah I was the one that posted the thread with the discounted Lowas from shoebuy.com, and I snagged up a pair as well even though theres not a **** thing wrong with my Meindles. But I have to admit from initial observations wearing them around, I think they are more comfortable than my meindls. We'll see, I might wear them this year instead of the Meindls. They are almost identical in design andn construction. Just a tad less rigid than the Meindls.

Default La Sportiva

I second the La Sportiva Glacier (model). It took a little doing to get them broken in, but I love 'em. Not sure if they still make the Glacier, or if they've changed the design slightly, but avoid the Makalu model (too stiff).

Alaska Cub-
    Is that deal from shoebuy.com still available?

Dont know buddy, you 'll have to check. This deal was good a couple months back or so.

Default Sheep boots

fwiw, my husband has a temperamental ankle from an injury and since then sheep boots have been tough for him to find. La Sportiva Nepals were the answer, says he's never worn a better boot. I wear La Sportiva Lhotses since they're about the only company that puts any effort into a woman's technical type boot of sheep quality. One warning, both the men's Nepal and my Lhotses ran maybe 1/2 size small. Break in time was minimal and they are holding up well.

Both boots have done three Dall sheep hunts, one Kodiak goat hunt and assorted moose/caribou hunts so far. One of the sheep hunts was about 40 miles of packing/ferrying out in the Alaska Range as we got slammed by weather. The boots held up better than we did.

PM me if you want more info. Good luck - try on tons of boots and don't give up until you're absolutely happy. 10 days from pickup in the backcountry is not where you want to discover your boots aren't 'quite right'.

mbd

Default sheep boots

The Lowa have great support and the sole really grips well. It did tak a bit to break them in. I like Lowas. Chef Viktor

Default Meindl Boots

Meindl boots are the only way to go. They are worth the every penny.

Default Lowa

wore the Lowa Sheep Hunters on my 06 fall sheep hunt. GREAT! Seem to run a little narrow.
    Psalm 18:34
    He trains my hands for war, so that my arms can bend a bow of bronze.

Default Sheep boots

For my last 2 sheep hunts and a goat hunt I've worn a pair of Asolo Fugitives. I've tried some of the stiffer boots made by La Sportiva and Meindal but for %95 of the walking and climbing I do the Asolo's have been awesome. I wear them for all my hunts actually. I couldn't be happier with them.

I can tell you what not to try, those crummy Cabelas boots. In fact, anything that says Cabelas on it is usually poorly made or light duty. Asolos are my favorite backpacking type boots, but when I go hunting, if it's not too cold, I like Whites Short Loggers. They are logging boots with regular tread Vibram soles, I love them and prefer them over anything.

I wear Meindl's as well, and since they are not made in China, they actually fit my foot. They feel like slippers.

http://www.ajbrooks.com/qs/product/40/2352/139729/0/0
    It's the journey, not the destination.