Thread: minto

Default minto

if given the chance would you go this weekend or wait thill july/august for pike?

Default go get 'em

You should catch fish if you go this weekend. The fishing might get better the longer you wait, but who knows. Just curious as to how you were planning on going in? I usually go the MDR route and I think I would have to do a recon trip on the four wheeler before I towed my boat down there. With the amount of rain we've had in the last two weeks the bottom of that trail might be pretty sloppy. I plan on making my annual trip in, not sure on the dates yet. If you make the run be sure to post a report.

Tight lines,

KH

Are you guys talking about Minto lake or the lakes by the town of Minto. Sorry I'm a newbie. I just want to go catch some pike on the fly. How do you guys get there? I live in North Pole.

Thanks Much

July can be tough if the water heats up to much. June is better. I am heading out there this weekend.

Cav - I am pretty sure Minto Flats is what is being discussed. The Flats are the lakes and rivers, everything is connected there. I launch from the village and head out, but you can get there via boat from the Murphy Dome or any of the launches on the Tanana. You can also do a fly in. I forget the name of the outfit in Fairbanks that does it, but a quick search will turn it up. They also rent cabins and have boats there for you to use. Pretty neat deal I have heard.

back in town... the numbers of fish caught were far less than everyone says... but the quality of fish was worth the trip alone... largest fish landed was just over 3ft... with one significantly larger on the line for all of maybe 15 sec... just long enough to see where the line was pointing and where his tail broke the surface... one uneasy moment with the villagers on the way out... speaking of being greedy and not respecting the land.... both of which unsuported claims... i will return

What was the water level like? Were you able to get back into the river?

Proudly Serving Since 1997
    The circle is complete again, finally. The force is once again balanced!
    "Only a Sith deals in absolutes in regards to fishing!"

ya we got back up into the rivers... was our first time but some guys we stopped and talked to said the water was really high... the pike in the rivers sucked... only landed 3 there with few other hits... the lake really produced tho

we were also told the sheefish were in the rivers
    Attached Images Attached Images

Sheefish are indeed in the rivers. 2006 had a sheefish pulled out of there by a buddy that was bigger than all of the pike that we had caught up to that point.

Default Good report!

Sounds like you guys had a good trip...thanks for the report!!
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

I just got back as well. Once more when the water was high, the fishing was poor. I am pretty convinced that is connected. A village Elder told me that as well a couple of years ago, so that is good enough for me to count on. We did much better in the lakes area as aktyler. Tons of suspended fish on the sonar all through the system though. Most hanging out in the 9-12 foot range. We did the best we ever had with the Shee fish. I have only caught 1 or maybe 2 ever out there, though I have never tried to target them. This trip we actually tried to catch them as the pike fishing was pretty slow. Guessed weight range was 7 - maybe 15ish pounds on the top end, the 7-10 being the norm. I only weighed one fish, just to see, and it was 7 1/2 pounds, but it was the on the smallest size range I saw caught. I have no idea if this is good/bad/normal for Shee fishing in there, as this was the first time we ever fished for them. I also don't know the best way to fish for them. All the ones we caught were on stick baits and rattle traps (we tried a lot of other baits as well). When they were rolling, we anchored and fished, otherwise we caught them while trolling. I did try some deep running baits (including jigging) to temp the deeply suspended fish, but no luck with that at all. I will say that the Shees were an absolute blast to catch; they acted very much like Silvers in the salt, very strong and acrobatic fights. If anyone has good Shee techniques, please share as I would love to know a better way to fish them.

We meet aktyler and akguy454 out there. Good guys.

would have to say the same bout akshrop definatly a pleasure to meet out on the water... wish we would have seen you guys pull in a shee while we were talkin... maybe we would have targeted them to if we had more time... will be taking a long weekend next time...

did you guys go to the village or over murphy dome???

village for both groups

Where did you guys park your vehicle while you were out? I'm thinking of going out there this weekend. I planned on taking a small boat with a small motor and camping out over night. I've just heard stories of people's stuff getting messed with. I wouldn't want my truck or trailer getting vandalized or something. Just looking for a heads up on what i should do.

Thanks Much

Also what's the best way to fly fish for shee fish?

Quote Originally Posted by cavtrooper94 View Post
    Where did you guys park your vehicle while you were out? I'm thinking of going out there this weekend. I planned on taking a small boat with a small motor and camping out over night. I've just heard stories of people's stuff getting messed with. I wouldn't want my truck or trailer getting vandalized or something. Just looking for a heads up on what i should do.

Thanks Much
    The couple of times that I've drove to the village and parked, I've never had any problems. I respected the speed limit, wasn't blaring music, and waved at everyone I saw on the road there. The only place I know to park is along the boat launch area. It's big enough to hold several trucks. Basically, you drive to the end of the road going into minto, and it is on your right. Hope this helps.

i supose you could always drive the 40 miles back out to the highway and park there?

Quote Originally Posted by cavtrooper94 View Post
    Also what's the best way to fly fish for shee fish?

all i have ever heard is large bright color lures in deep holes