Thread: Kenai Now Open to Harvest

Sweet: Icebule was right about the fish being late.

Yes he was.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

The king fishing was hot today, lots of fish in the river all you have to do is show up.

I am not sure where you were fishing but it sure wasn't from Porters down to Eagle Rock. Saturday was good, we thought today would be good as well but from what I saw it was tough fishing. I assume from your internet smiley you having a little internet fun, but you know some will take it seriously and think they are jumping in the boat. LOL

Whats up the the big su area hype? haha most fish dont start running up there until mid june. Well for the good runs. Seems like the kenai is differiant? Early runs in may? Hmm never really do much research on the kenai
    -Its better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.
    -Put some excitment between your legs, ride a polaris!
    -Local 907 Riders Union
    http://www.youtube.com/user/AKMackdaddy?feature=mhee

Default Big Su

They've shown up. Big thing on the Su is that there are usually fish in the system by June 1, and by June 7 you can fish any of the mouths with a reasonable chance of hooking up. Father's day weekend is the peak, then it starts slowing up at Willow. The total absence of fish early was very concerning... top that off with 3 years straight missed escapement on Willow and Sheep, and a 4th year would be a pretty hard blow to the systems.

It looks like the run's 1 to 2 weeks late; lots of small, sea liced males coming through now. Should be a great weekend!

The set nets just south of the mouth of the Kenai might have something to do with slow fishing for kings and for reds up at the Russian. Nets went in at midnight Monday.

Netting on Monday would not have affected the Russian yet. Those fish take in the range of a week to reach the Russian River.

For what it's worth, the upper Kenai was decent for reds yesterday.

Default see other thread.

Quote Originally Posted by gusdog44 View Post
    The set nets just south of the mouth of the Kenai might have something to do with slow fishing for kings and for reds up at the Russian. Nets went in at midnight Monday.
    I answered what is going on in another thread. Short and sweet. This is a cost recovery operation under contract to ADF&G. It funds some ADF&G programs. See the other thread for more information. It is not a commercial fishery.

The only reason they opened it is so the PU and commercial fishery would not be affected.

Quote Originally Posted by fishguy View Post
    The only reason they opened it is so the PU and commercial fishery would not be affected.
    I'm not sure I'm following your logic. The PU fishery on the Kenai does not open until July 10th, well after the 1st run of Kenai Kings is over and they start counting 2nd run fish. The commercial fisheries in the Inlet haven't started yet either, and by time they do the vast majority of 1st run fish are in river. Comm fish makes a good scapegoat, but I don't think this explanation holds water. Unless I'm missing something??

commercial fishing in cook inlet (for the kenai/kasilof and northern cook inlet regions) does NOT start until june 20th at the EARLIEST...we put out all our bouys and gear right about now, and then just wait till they open us, and it has never been before june 20th.......so like Brian said, commercial fishing is not a factor at play for the time being.....the fish are just late or they are not comin at all.

Release Lake Trout

The Kasilof setnet PU fishery is open right now. There will be Kenai Kings harvested in this fishery. In 2003 -400 kings were reported I wonder how many go unreported.2007-343,2009-127. June 20th for the commercial opener still will have an impact on early run Kenai Kings. I just think the sportfishery was liberalized to allow for these fisheries to take place.
    What about Kalgin or Kodiak commercial fisheries and others? They are all having an effect on returning kings to all of AK.

Default typical bull

Quote Originally Posted by fishguy View Post
    The Kasilof setnet PU fishery is open right now. There will be Kenai Kings harvested in this fishery. In 2003 -400 kings were reported I wonder how many go unreported.2007-343,2009-127. June 20th for the commercial opener still will have an impact on early run Kenai Kings. I just think the sportfishery was liberalized to allow for these fisheries to take place.
    What about Kalgin or Kodiak commercial fisheries and others? They are all having an effect on returning kings to all of AK.
    This post makes no sense. ADF&G is going to open a fishery they closed so a PU and commercial fishery can fish? Do you not look at the escapement numbers and projections of total run. ADF&G made a mistake in closing in the first place but trust me they want to keep the sport fishery open and did so as soon as the data suggested.

Second, the chinook caught at the PU Kasilof fishery are most likely Kasilof stocks and part of them are hatchery. So where do you get the idea that they are early run Kenai chinook. Also, where does it say that PU fisherman cannot catch an early run fish? Are sport fisherman so selfish that they want every fish?

Your post is a black helicopter post and frankly is pretty far out in cyberspace.

Wondered how long it would take for this thread to degenerate into personal slurs......

Default you started this mess

Quote Originally Posted by gusdog44 View Post
    Wondered how long it would take for this thread to degenerate into personal slurs......
    Gusdog44 you started this mess and then want to run from the consequences. Nice.

Second, there was no personal slur. I pointed out that the post was far out there and not based on reality. I said nothing about the individual who posted it other than the post is incorrect.