Thread: electrolysis

Default electrolysis

I bought an 06 seasport with low hours on it last year that came from Seward and the mechanic there told me everything was in perfect shape, I took it to homer and just now finding out the outdrives are destroyed due to electrolysis and you can see where it was masked and painted over also all the trim and steering hoses are destroyed from the inside out my slip in Homer has no electricity but the previous owners slip did ?

Talking Homer Harbor

I have my boat in a slip in Homer. This is one of the hottest harbors I have ever been around. I have to replace all of my zincs every year. My slip does not have elect either, but it makes no difference, the whole harbor is hot. I was talking with one of the Coast Guard Aux a while back and he has a sail boat that he has had in several different harbors and he also says Homer is the worst he has dealt with. Hope your damage does not totally put you out of boating. My boat is the Alaskan Spirit, hope to see you around the Harbor.
    Retirement Plan - Having Fun and Still Learning

Angry outdrive paint

It sounds like most the problems come from the outdrives being painted and some seasport dealers and or boatowners paint them

As long as the zincs are not painted it should not matter. Not knowing how many zincs you have and there location, it’s possible you do not have enough zincs on your boat. There are ways to test your location/boat to determine where your problem is coming from. The number one problem causing electrolysis in boats is not using a marine battery charger.

Default Does it matter

where the zincs are located? Specifically, does there "have" to be one on the motor itself or can they just be on the transom? I have a 22' SeaArk with a Jet. I put a stomp grate on it and had to take the zinc off of the foot. I have 2 zincs on the transom but need to know if there is a "need" to have one on the motor. Also, please explain the marine charger more. I have a buddy whose boat was ruined and is now scrap because of this.
    When the HOGS show up, somethins gonna DIE!!!
    Blood Sport
    32' Custom Wooldridge
    MMSI #: 338181573

Does it matter? Absolutely it matter, the closer the zinc is to the problem the better the protection and just because you have a zinc on the hull does not mean your engine in protected. You mention a jet, a boat uses in fresh water may not need protection. (Note I did not say zincs.)

Protecting a boat is a very complicated subject so I will not go in to details because I would need to know a lot more information about your boat.

“Also, please explain the marine charger more.”
    If your non-marine battery charger is leaking AC across it transformer or is not wire per marine spec it can cause you and the boats around you major problems, it could also electrocute you.

Quote Originally Posted by Rutting Moose View Post
    If your non-marine battery charger is leaking AC across it transformer or is not wire per marine spec it can cause you and the boats around you major problems, it could also electrocute you.
    I'm a little confused here. I'm also in Homer harbor without electricity, like the original poster. What are you referring to with regard to "your non-marine battery charger"?

Regarding the original post, I have twin 150 Hondas. There are two sacrificial anodes on the lower unit of each engine. There is also one connected to the mounting bracket of each engine. My engines are all the way up when I leave, so the lower units don't spend much time in the water in harbor. Those anodes don't require replacement often at all, in fact I just replaced those this year at the start of the 5th season. The ones on the bracket are constantly in the water, and require replacement more often, at least once a year. These have nothing to do with the larger sacrificial anodes on the hull. Mine is aluminum (Kingfisher 2825). I just replaced those this season for the first time also. I have always been told that Homer harbor is "hot". I think they all are, especially if there are a lot of commercial boats around. I don't know what float you're on. I'm on "CC". I think the closest float with power from me is maybe "GG". The closer your stall is to floats with power, I think the "hotter" it gets. I hope this doesn't end up killing your season. Best of luck.

Default Thanks

Like I said I have a SeaArk 22' Jon. It has a 80 jet Yamaha. On the back of the foot there was a zinc. I had to take it off for the stomp grate to fit. I put the boat in Valdez for silvers every year. I have dual battery with a Blue Sea switch. I put 2 zincs on the lower transom. I haven't been able to find anyone to tell me if there must be a zinc on the motor somewhere of the 2 on the transom is enough. It will spend 90 percent in fresh water but do Valdez. I have a Pro Sport charger but that is while it is out of the water and charges at the house. So shouldn't be any issues there.
    When the HOGS show up, somethins gonna DIE!!!
    Blood Sport
    32' Custom Wooldridge
    MMSI #: 338181573

Quote Originally Posted by Homertime View Post
    I'm a little confused here. I'm also in Homer harbor without electricity, like the original poster. What are you referring to with regard to "your non-marine battery charger"?

I think they all are, especially if there are a lot of commercial boats around. .
    When I said “YOUR” battery charger, I was referring to people who are using non-marine chargers, not anyone in this thread. Sorry for the confusion.

I think that’s funny. The commercial fishermen get blame for everything, this is the first time I heard there the cause of electrolysis.

Stanly: If you are leaving your boat in the saltwater for say two weeks I do not think you will have a problem. What I would do is learn how to recognize corrosion/ electrolysis symptom that is the only way to really know you’re safe

I didn't mean for that to sound like I was blaming the commercial guys for electrolysis. I think they have a lot of electric power on a lot of the time, and the more activity that way, the more current leakage. I might be wrong all together. It is what it is. I just keep an eye on my anodes.

Default Anodes location on a Sea Sport...

My boat has one around the base of the prop, at the base of the transom outdrive bracket, and one on the top surface of each trim tab. My boat was a Homer boat, the previous owner kept it in great shape, but the anodes were beyond needing replacing when I got it.

They say if the anodes are showing signs of corrosion that can be a good thing, because if they are not something else is...

A few years ago I saw a Sea Sport parked in a vacant lot near Tudor and Old Seward, it was for sale and seemed to be priced right, but sat for a long, long, time. The out drive was completely spray painted something ugly! It was obvious something was up with this boat and probably scared many knowledgable people away.
    Beautiful boat with a horrible looking out drive, who knows what else the gremlins chewed on!

My Johnson OB has 2 anodes that screw into the cooling system through the head............
    Discovered that while doing a 100 hour service, dont know if thats typical or not...?
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

I was looking for something else and found this question. http://boatzincs.com/corrosion-reference-electrode.html. If you wanted to make this test it can be done with out buying a reference electrode, all you need is a v meter, copper pipe, 2x4 and some wire.