Thread: Hatcher Pass

Default Hatcher Pass

Are the trails around Hatcher Pass free of snow now?

Default Gold Mint

I was on the Gold Mint trail on the June 11th. I went back five miles and no snow at all. Of course this is low elevation trail for Hatcher's Pass. From my turn around point there appeared to still be plenty of snow including a fresh dusting at the end of the valley and up at the elevation of the mountaineering cabin.
    Everything that lives and moves will be food for you.
    Genesis 9:3

Is the main road through open yet?

the summit road is almost always closed until the first week of july. DPOR will have an anouncement on their website when it opens, usually around the 4th of july weekend.

Of course if you want to walk up you can go anytime. Good hiking right now. Snow has been gone from the low-level trails for about a month now.

http://dnr.alaska.gov/parks/asp/curevnts.htm

Yeah, I'd love to hike it, but doc's orders are in effect for a few weeks here.

There's fresh snow to about the 2700' elev mark. Probably won't stick around for long though.

jwolf

Summit road is open - just drove it yesterday and was fine.. Heavy equipment op is working part of the road so donít push him.. :-) nice but still a bit chilly up high..
    Half of the gate is closed on the Willow side but itís fully accessible.. Lots of folks on the trails.. Have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by andweav View Post
    the summit road is almost always closed until the first week of july. DPOR will have an anouncement on their website when it opens, usually around the 4th of july weekend.

Of course if you want to walk up you can go anytime. Good hiking right now. Snow has been gone from the low-level trails for about a month now.

http://dnr.alaska.gov/parks/asp/curevnts.htm

I would appreciate any tips or directions to the bomber... Should be up there in 2 weeks, and really don't want to miss this hike. Anything from where to park to the best way to go would be helpful. Thanks!

Default Bomber

Quote Originally Posted by 2ktj View Post
    I would appreciate any tips or directions to the bomber... Should be up there in 2 weeks, and really don't want to miss this hike. Anything from where to park to the best way to go would be helpful. Thanks!
    You should be able to find everything you need to know here:

http://www.alaskahikesearch.com/Hikes/Reedlake.htm

In general, from where the trail meets upper reed lake walk around the left shoreline. Once you get near the back portion of the lake you'll find a small snow fed stream that comes in. Follow that stream up the boulder field. I find it best walking to get up out of the boulders on the hillside to the left. Just below the rock faces there is a trail that traverses you up to the low spot in the pass. The next notch to the right is usually an easier route on and off of the glacier itself.
    Everything that lives and moves will be food for you.
    Genesis 9:3

Thank you, I had that specific page bookmarked, but was not sure that was the correct trail... thanks for the confirmation, I am really looking forward to the trip!