Thread: Coming to Fairbanks

Default Coming to Fairbanks

Greetings from Buffalo, NY. I'll be visiting my Daughter and her family at Eielson AFB in Early September and was just wondering if anyone fishes in that area and could give my son in law and I some hints on where to fish ( He just arrived at the base). Also what type of flys I should be tying would also be a great help. Thanks in advance for any info.

The lakes on base across the highway from the flightline are good for bows and char, chena lakes rec area for bows and the upper chena along hot srings road for grayling, sept might be early but silvers run delta clearwater about 1 hour down the rich hi way, but you might wanna think about driving south to the parks hi way steams or valdez for silvers. as far as flys nymphs, woly buggers and egg sucking leeches

Default How far do you want to drive?

It all depends on how far you want to drive. If you want to stay locally around Eielson/Fairbanks than the advice given is sound advice and I'm sure you will have success. If you want to chase some salmon and you are coming up soon, I would take a run down to the Klutina and catch some reds with a chance of hooking a King as well. It's about a 4 hour drive south on the Richardson Highway.

Best of Luck to ya.

RC

Fish the chena with dry flies. And prince head nymphs. Seems like dries works quite well
    -Its better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.
    -Put some excitment between your legs, ride a polaris!
    -Local 907 Riders Union
    http://www.youtube.com/user/AKMackdaddy?feature=mhee

This summer I've done quite a bit of Gray fishing on the Chena. Ironically, some size 10 white beadhead woolly boogers, white micro flesh flies, and white caddis have been the ticket. I'd suggest the upper Chena along CHSR or Delta Clearwater river during July.

As far as for when you are up here, Delta Clearwater with ESLs will net you some Grays and possibly Silvers depending on what part of September you get here.

Proudly Serving Since 1997
    The circle is complete again, finally. The force is once again balanced!
    "Only a Sith deals in absolutes in regards to fishing!"

What size rod and what kind of leader or tipet should be used for pike? There are a lot of lakes on base with trout and pike in them.

I would do a steel leader as those pike have got some chompers! 20lb tapered would be just fine for tippet. Or 30lb your call.
    -Its better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.
    -Put some excitment between your legs, ride a polaris!
    -Local 907 Riders Union
    http://www.youtube.com/user/AKMackdaddy?feature=mhee

Default Sept

K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple & Stupid. Sorry I always wanted to use that.

There is a great little Green Stone Hatch in Early Sept on the Chena if the sun is out and about it is a great hatch and the fish are active. Keep in mind that Grayling come up and down the system Spring to Fall and sometimes the better fishing will be lower in the system depending on the weather i.e. getting cold. i.e. below 50 mile I would start about Angle Rocks and work my way down the road system lots of access points.

You should be fine with some of the mentioned flies posted they all work well.

If the stones are out simple caddis lime green body works very well Size 10-12.

Also if they are active a nive soft hackle again olive / lime will work add a bead for a littel better fishing IMO. I make mine with a tugnsten bead add a little wire wrap around my dubbing and put a little soft hackle collar seems to work effective during the hatch.

If your heading to Delta Junction to fish it is a natural spring creek and has a ton of Midge and Chrom fishing Griffith Gnat works well size 14-16-18 depending on what is going on. There is also a late season Western Slate Drake Hatch believe it or not again if we have extended good weather i.e. about 70 and sunny you might hit that as well. Most local fisherman use a Comparadun / Haystack with a trailing shuck of antron known locally as a Blue Sparkle Dun.

Best Wishes and Tight Lines.

Feel free to PM me if you wish additional details. Not guiding this year promise will not try ot sell you a thing.

Richard Mousseau
    Blue Moose Rafting
    Last edited by BlueMoose; 06-16-2010 at 21:52. Reason: Duh It's me!

i use 20lb mono for pike and i have caught some big ones, you might loose a fly occasionally but it seems to work pretty well.

Default Rick Gold, Chena Marina

If you have a day or two fly out with Rick Gold from Chena Marina. His business is called Marina air and he used to have brochures at the airport. He can fly you out to catch pike or rainbows. Have done both and always have success. You're either casting in stillwater or trolling for both.

Yo will catch a lot of fish. I like the rainbow fishing the best.

For a couple hundred dollars for 24 hours of fishing, a boat with motor and a cabin, it's not a bad deal.

I second the Rick Gold choice. We've got a plan to do pike with him this summer.

Proudly Serving Since 1997
    The circle is complete again, finally. The force is once again balanced!
    "Only a Sith deals in absolutes in regards to fishing!"

Quote Originally Posted by BlueMoose View Post
    K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple & Stupid. Sorry I always wanted to use that.

If your heading to Delta Junction to fish it is a natural spring creek and has a ton of Midge and Chrom fishing Griffith Gnat works well size 14-16-18 depending on what is going on. There is also a late season Western Slate Drake Hatch believe it or not again if we have extended good weather i.e. about 70 and sunny you might hit that as well. Most local fisherman use a Comparadun / Haystack with a trailing shuck of antron known locally as a Blue Sparkle Dun.

Richard Mousseau
    Blue Moose Rafting
    Yep, Blue Dun's are the ticket for streams in the interior. I've seen a few places to buy them on the internet, since Howie's place closed I haven't found a reliable source...luckily I stocked up before he closed down...

Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

Default Big Cox Here you Go!

http://ausablewulff.com/

I did some tying for Fran back in the early 90's he claims to have invented the Haystack which is of course morphed into many versions. He has written severl books on tying and related subjects.

Sorry he is no longer with the fly fishing world or at least down on this earth however his fly shop or at least in name is. Seems it has moved to Lake Placid which prior was around Upper Jay or Wilmingtons Notch oh well.

Send them a note you will be able to find what yoru lookin for a source.

Tight Lines!

bc, when you run out drop me a line....find something to swap for cost of materials...maybe a box of sourdough mining company corn fritters and honey butter . It' costs a little extra, I hate tying wings LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by BlueMoose View Post
    http://ausablewulff.com/

I did some tying for Fran back in the early 90's he claims to have invented the Haystack which is of course morphed into many versions. He has written severl books on tying and related subjects.

Sorry he is no longer with the fly fishing world or at least down on this earth however his fly shop or at least in name is. Seems it has moved to Lake Placid which prior was around Upper Jay or Wilmingtons Notch oh well.

Send them a note you will be able to find what yoru lookin for a source.

Tight Lines!
    Thanks for the link Moose! Appreciate it!

Quote Originally Posted by TradBow View Post
    bc, when you run out drop me a line....find something to swap for cost of materials...maybe a box of sourdough mining company corn fritters and honey butter . It' costs a little extra, I hate tying wings LOL!
    haha...aren't those things good? Last time I was there I gorged myself of them...

Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

crazedBOWhunter

Hey if you're interested, I work in the Arctic Survival school house on base and if you guys wanted to stop on by I'd be more than happy to help you guys out. I've been doin a lot of fishing the whole summer for pike, grayling and here recently salmon. Swing on in and we'll b/s a bit...who knows maybe even take the boat out up the chena or salcha. Always looking for an excuse to get out and find some fish....