Thread: Haul rd, 26b

Default Haul rd, 26b

Ok, I am going on my first bow hunt in Alaska. We are going up the Dalton into GMU 26b. I have bowhunted whitetails but when caribou hunting with a rifle I never got very close. I like my shots 30 yards and under for deer, but have been practicing alot farther than that under advice from my buddy. My question is how far do you guys feel comfortable shooting at caribou? If I have for example, a 40 yard limit do I have a chance getting that close? Thanks

shot one at 6-7 yards, last year 25
    40 yard limit is a great distance as a max.
    practice at 50 and keep the 40 limit
    good luck
    i will be up there at least 2 week
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

Default Haul road

Let me know if you spot any bull moose on the way up.......

I've shot several at less than 20 yards. Not impossible to get in that close, but the conditions have to be just right. Play the wind right and stay out of sight, and you should be able to sneak in or set up a good ambush.

I practice out to 70yrds and on a calm day i would take that shot but up there it's never calm. I would stick to 40yrds and under up there, as it tends to be a little more breezy.

You absolutely have a chance of getting that close. I practice out to 60 yards before going up there, but keep shots at 40 or under. I would maybe take a 50 yard shot if conditions were perfect - no wind, unspooked animal standing perfectly still and broadside - but your goal sounds perfect.

One tip to get closer to the caribou up there: Go at least 1/2 mile or more off the road before trying a stalk. Spend your time away from the road and you'll find that the caribou are much calmer and easier to stalk. When they get near the road they get jumpy, but a mile or two out they are much less wary and easier to ambush. That has been my experience, anyhow.

Close shots are possible. But, there is a lot more open country then what you are most likely use to in whitetail country. I like to practice 50 to 60 yards with my Muzzy practice broadheads. Try to find wide open spaces to shoot in, where you don't have anything to judge distances off of (like trees). If you can get someone else to set up targets, even better...then do a quick set up, like giving yourself no more than 10 seconds to judge the distance, draw and shoot...then use your range finder Practice in wide open areas when the wind is blowing and/or gusting...it will also give you more confidence on the Haul Road. The reason everyone mentions the wind up north is because you are about 50-75 miles due south of the Ocean...every night the fog/wind blows south where you will be hunting, and every morning the wind turns 180 degrees and starts blowing back north (to the ocean). Still days are the worse time IMHO...nothing to keep the bugs down

Oh yeah, the most important thing you can take is a Camera! Have fun and enjoy your hunt.
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

Default Wind

Thanks for all the tips, never being in that part of Alaska it will certainly be different. I am looking forward to the trip almost as much as the hunt itself. I like Brians idea of getting off the road a ways, must be the caribou are conditioned to the road? Interesting note about the wind changing directions. Yep, 40 yards is far enough I believe.. I will certainly take them closer also Thanks again, Mark
    Last edited by markopolo50; 06-15-2010 at 16:31. Reason: added closer

there are alot of threads here for haul rd / dalton hwy search back thru lots of great info.....
    if you come up in jul or aug bring a head net. bugs can be terrible as roger mentioned usually by last week of aug they are not a problem but i have my head net still.
    have a great experience.
    Pat
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

Default Headnet

Headnet, check-. I am also thinking about a Thermacell although I question the effectiveness out in the bush. Might be OK around camp. Any other tips are appreciated. Thanks, Mark

thermacell- if sitting on high ground glassing it maybe helpful. good for mosquitoes not sure about the effect on white socks and other ones.

Quote Originally Posted by markopolo50 View Post
    must be the caribou are conditioned to the road?
    You may find this hard to believe, bet the chances are a lot of the caribou you run into will have no road or human experience. They are quick learners though. This is not deer country

Last year I hiked up to a small ridge, was good and sweaty, the wind blowing down the spine of the ridge. About 2,000 yards down wind was a big 'bou. I decided what the heck and turned to walk his way. About 15-30 seconds later this 'bou who was walking diagonally from me stopped like he was hit by a truck (he winded me), reared up in the air, spun 180 degrees and bolted. I thought that was it...next thing I know he was charging up towards me! Stopped at 100 yards and gave me a look. Then trotted to within 50 yards and gave me a broadside shot All this took place in less than a minute I would guess. I could not believe it...BUT I forgot that the wind was at my back and I watched my fletching bounce off this boy's back. With that wind I should have shot for 40 yards with my set up. The point is that caribou can/are very curious of the unknown. Once they have the "road" figured out, and the "hunters" figured out, they become harder to stalk IMHO. Getting away from the road really changes everything, and to me all for the better!
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

Here's a photo I took last September of a bull crossing the Haul Road. If I remember correctly, I was between Deadhorse and Happy Valley at the time. I was only about 30 yards from him when I took the photo.

Don Mulligan

Default Thermacell

Yes, I have the Thermacell packed although I have to find out about the butane on the flight. Don, real nice photo of that bou crossing the road. I hope to get that close. Roger, interesting story of the caribou and his behavior. Hope you got one later. Thanks, Mark

Default Thermacell

Thermacell could come in real handy. I'd bring it. The wind can make them ineffective when you are walking around but if you are successful it can really come in handy when you are cutting up your bull. I usually go up there end of July and the bugs are terrible. I would bring it.
    "A dog has no use for fancy cars or big homes or designer clothes. Status symbol means nothing to him. A waterlogged stick will do just fine." Marley and Me

Few pix of bou today @ kuparuk
    P7100059.jpgP7100058.jpg

Thanks for the pictures. This sure will be a different hunt for me. I haven't bow hunted seriously for quite a while and this is going to be quite a step up from whitetail. I am excited about the trip and the hunting/fishing will be icing on the cake. I might even get a caribou!!. Can't wait, two weeks then on the big bird. Mark