Thread: Shrimping from charter vessel?

Default Shrimping from charter vessel?

Here's a question regarding shrimping on the North Gulf Coast. It is open as a personal use, Alaska resident only fishery. Would it be legal for a charter boat crew to drop and pull pots for their own personal use while working with clients from outside of Alaska? I've heard this is happening and something seems wrong to me about it...

Default not sure

I am not sure, but if they are eating the shrimp themselves I sure wouldn't have a problem with it...selling them with meals - different.

"The captain and crew members of a charter vessel may not deploy, set, or retrieve their own gear in a personal use shellfish fishery when that vessel is being chartered."

From the 2010 regs, page 29.

Quote Originally Posted by G_Smolt View Post
    "The captain and crew members of a charter vessel may not deploy, set, or retrieve their own gear in a personal use shellfish fishery when that vessel is being chartered."

Thanks--I knew it must be in there somewhere, but couldn't find it!

Default what about crabbing?

Does this also apply to crabbing? I've read many stories about SE charters that drop pots and serve crab at their fantastic dinners. I seem to recall several stories in Fish Alaska magazine talking about this.

Default Personal Use vs Sport Fishing

The regs are different for Personal Use versus Sport Fishing.

So if Sport Fishing then every client can get their limit too.

Quote Originally Posted by G_Smolt View Post

I think that exclusion is only applicable in southeast. I didn't see a similar rule in the southcentral personal use shellfish regs. Maybe I missed it. A call to F&G would hopefully clear it up...