Thread: 1st Black Bear DOWN!

Talking 1st Black Bear DOWN!

So its about time that I get to say these sweet sweet words...Bear Down!!!

So I had set up my bait stand up about the 27th of May, and since have been getting plenty of hits. I now have over 100 game cam pics of bears at my site. My dad and I decided to sit at the station sat evening. We got down there about 5 after all the messing around and refilling the bait barrels it was not till 6 did we finally get settled into our tree stands. It was raining ( with varing degrees of hardness) the entire time we were down there, with a little wind here and there (which hindered any attmeps to hear any bears approaching). This did not seem to deter the mosquitos at all, and exposed skin was covered as soon as you exposed it, it was the worst I have ever seen. It was around 9pm when I started thinking about calling it a day. The orginal plan was to stay out there till 10.30pm. Shortly after 9 a tree rat decided that he would enjoy some of the sweet stuff I put on the trees around the bait. So we finally had something to watch. About 9.12pm out of nowhere and with no warning a bear strolls out from the left side of my clearing. He walked right to the bait like he owned the place without missing a beat, sniffed for one sec, then sat down and started rubbing his head on the bottom of one of the barrels. After getting the thumbs up for my dad, I drew my Hoyt and mini blazered him behind his front shoulders. From 15yds the arrow did not slow down one bit and went clear through the bear, hitting both lungs and stuck into the tree behind him, he went 50yds if that and died. I did not square him as the skinning process only attracted more skeeters. He had three nice diamonds on his chest. All in all a Beautiful bear and well worth the time and patience and being able to have my dad watch me take this amazing animal.

P.S this was my first year baiting and my first bear with a bow...two firsts in one trip...all I can say to that is GIT R DONE

---AK Trout

"I Envy Him And Him Only, That Catches More Fish Than I Do" Izaac Walton 1653
    The question of hunting is not a matter of life or death... it's more important than that

Default Congrats on that beauty

What a great hunt and story, thanks for posting, especially the pics of that Beauty, and the part about hunting with Dad, Very Cool

Congrats on gettin' to say those words, and with a Bow !!
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Well done young man, I'm sure your father is proud!!!

Steve

Great job!! Glad everything worked out for you, enjoyed the write-up and pics as well.

Good job dude!

Kudo's AKTrout!
    Good story and pics - very glad to see a parent / child team up for some outdoor adventures! I sat with my son when he was 16 and watched him shoot his first blackie - had to use a gun that trip due to eq failure but it was still very rewarding for us both!
    I hope you post many more hunts in the future!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Fan-freaking awesome and congrats. Talk about perfect timing. And I had to laugh as I think in the 3rd picture I saw your tree stand and thought dang thats kinda low..he could have used a ground blind

Great story! Those blood suckers sure do make things harder....skin a little, swat a little... Great job and what an experience to share with your Dad. Memories
    Jess
    Bait Em 907
    Bear Bait & Moose Lure Company
    www.baitem907.com
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Bait-E...56572604387163

Congrats! Great kill, bowhunting is exhilarating! One word about the skeeters...THERMACELL

Smile Thanks!!!

Hey Guys
    Thanks for all the positive comments!!
    I'm glad I decided to bait this year...its been a lot of fun and looking forward to next yr and the rest of this yr. Hooked for life

Ak trout--

The question of hunting is not a matter of life or death... it's more important than that

Default 2 more words about skeeters

Thermacell Thermacell. 2 together works much better than one when on the ground. In the stand one does a nice job.
    Great story, great bear, well done and thanks for sharing.

Thumbs up

Way to go! Congratulations on your firsts!

Taylor

Great job on the archery kill. I hope to get one with the bow next year.

Thermacell's purchased and will be put to the test this weekend

Ak trout-

Nice! Congrats on your first! Hopefully I will be saying that too after this weekend!
    US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page

Hope you get one!! looking forward to seeing some pics