Thread: Homer report

Default Homer report

Well I figure I better do my part and let all you all know how the fishing has been the last week or so. The weather has been real spotty, and now it's just plain bad outside K-bay. Started fishing on Tuesday and ran down south quite aways and pulled in some nice halibut in the 35-45# range. 4 of us got our 8 fish without any trouble. The next few days the weather detioriated quite a bit and we went to some of our closer in spots and got fish. Pulled in a #109 and a #68 halibut on Friday, along with a couple in the 30# range. 4 of us got our 8 halibut 5 days in a row. Fishing has been great provided the weather is on your side. Also caught 2 small Lingcod (released), 2 dogfish and a nasty sculpin.

Did 0 trolling for Kings. Decided not to waste the time. The wind is really picking up, so if your thinking about fishing Homer/deep creek/ninilchik I'd give it a few days. Small craft advisories in the Barren's and for Cook Inlet. I will pics up soon enough.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

yep, the weather hasn't been the greatest, 4 of us fished east of english bay and got our 8, rode some sloppy following seas all the way in, would have never went out if the weather was like that in the morning, would have been miserable

LOL! Yeah, it's been MORE than spotty out there. Sunday evening it went from about 6 to 7 footers out "in the middle" to about 2 feet in about half an hour. It was weird.

I've been out the last 3 days in a row. Those seas Sunday were sure a lot of fun early in the day. But in the evening at one point we had 4 rods out and 4 fish on at the same time. What a blast. Especially for me trying to keep everyone from getting lines crossed.

Then today we picked an out of wind spot not far from home and got a nice little 50 pounder and then one about 35 and a bunch of smaller ones. We were only about a 20 min. boat ride from the end of the Spit.

Trolled for kings a little while on Sunday with no luck, but we limited on halibut both Sat. and Sun. with the "usual suspects" in the 10 to 25 lbs range.

Keep an eye on the weather if you're planning on heading out. The "marine forecast" for the next week isn't too bad, but that can change at a moments notice. I'll probably be out there tomorrow. And the next day. And the next. And....
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

They were calling for bad weather last Friday and Saturday yet it really wasn't too shabby. Bit of chop and swell in the morning but flattened out nicely in the afternoon.

Sunday and Monday were bad, like Muttley said. We decided not to go out and it looks like we made the right call.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Quote Originally Posted by pike_palace View Post
    They were calling for bad weather last Friday and Saturday yet it really wasn't too shabby. Bit of chop and swell in the morning but flattened out nicely in the afternoon.

Sunday and Monday were bad, like Muttley said. We decided not to go out and it looks like we made the right call.

Weather was a bear.

We took my Achilles out friday for 9 hours with no more than a bit of chop and swell off of the spit with some 6'ers coming around the spit in the afternoon. No fish.
    Saturday we put our big boy pants on and ran out 5 miles past flat island and did good fishing. When the wind started we ran back and it was only building to 3' by the time we made it back. Gotta love a 115 on a inflateable.
    Sunday we went out w/a 24' aluminum and turned around at Pogi Pt. as it was 8' there.
    Monday we scrapped it due to weather and came home. Monday morning at Anchor (10am) it was flat glass but wouldn`t know that sitting in Homer.

Quote Originally Posted by AK2AZ View Post
    Monday morning at Anchor (10am) it was flat glass but wouldn`t know that sitting in Homer.
    I have a feeling that was due to the direction of the wind and wind waves. We were out about 7 or 8 miles N of Seldovia trying to make it work and everything was coming from the direct SE. Anchor was probably well protected from all of that.

Rain today and I didn't feel like getting wet. LOL! Am I spoiled or what!?

Quote Originally Posted by Muttley Crew Fishing View Post
    I have a feeling that was due to the direction of the wind and wind waves. We were out about 7 or 8 miles N of Seldovia trying to make it work and everything was coming from the direct SE. Anchor was probably well protected from all of that.

Rain today and I didn't feel like getting wet. LOL! Am I spoiled or what!?
    I read yesterday was supposed to be real bad outside the bay. Small craft advisories in the Barren's and for the Inlet. Was it really that bad?

I read yesterday was supposed to be real bad outside the bay. Small craft advisories in the Barren's and for the Inlet. Was it really that bad?
    Well, the furthest out we went was that "off Seldovia" spot, so I'm not sure how bad it was out that far. They said it was supposed to be pretty bad in K-Bay yesterday, too, but it wasn't THAT bad. "Cliifhanger" and I were trying to "tandem fish" together and it just wasn't a pleasurable experience for our clients so we tried to find flatter water close in. We did eventually find a lee spot we worked pretty hard and managed those 50 and 35 pounders and the other "usual suspects" we caught.

The bay really never whitecapped from what I could see, but we determined it wasn't worth the fuel to run to the point only to turn around.

The bay really never whitecapped from what I could see, but we determined it wasn't worth the fuel to run to the point only to turn around.
    Here's what I got by myself today out near Pogi:

There are a few kings out there if you look hard enough!

Nice work...saw them on the finder but they were tight-lipped over the weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by AK2AZ View Post
    Nice work...saw them on the finder but they were tight-lipped over the weekend.
    Nahhh, you just have to know the magic words!

Here's what I got by myself today out near Pogi:

There are a few kings out there if you look hard enough!

Nice King Dave!!!

Muttley what kind of boat do you have?

Muttley what kind of boat do you have?
    It's a 26 ft. Hewescraft. Green with the name "Pretty Penny" across both sides of the bow. If you see me out there give me a call.

It's a 26 ft. Hewescraft. Green with the name "Pretty Penny" across both sides of the bow. If you see me out there give me a call.
    Yea, we have a yellow 22' Hewescraft. Nice boats. If I see you out there I'll do so.