Thread: Fishing the Sanctuary @ the Russian??

Default Fishing the Sanctuary @ the Russian??

Got to the river for the opener. The sanctuary had very little fish holding in it. I walked up the Russian and found my favorite hole, got my limit in three hours. There were sporadic bursts of 6-8 fish every 30 minutes.

Now for the interesting part. While I was cleaning my fish on the ferry tables I was talking with one of the F&G guys. In the 45 minutes we were bs'ing we managed to see two different drift boats pull up to the island at the sanctuary and guys started to fish there. I asked the F&G guy, are they really fishing the sanctuary? He just shook his head. Then I got to watch him call them over to the bank so he could give them a $250 ticket! Ouch!!

Gotta read the regs.

I was there yesterday and there was some people fishing there too. Sad that people don't read regs or do and just don't care and want their fish come hell or high water
    Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"

Well they can't say they didn't know, some people!? Most people do what ever they want until they get caught it seems.

I've been taking a look every once in a while at the hiway camera that shows the island across from the launch and saw people fishing it all weekend. I was wondering when they were going to get a citation for that.

I was there Friday evening and saw a guy getting a ticket by the cleaning tables. Glad to see ADFG out and about enforcing the rules.

About 500 fish were in the sanctuary today... No poachers though fortunately
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

SWEET!! Heading back down end of the week.