Thread: KP Fathers Day Forecast

Exclamation KP Fathers Day Forecast

Weather is going to blow a ton of fish from the inlet into the mouths of the Kasilof and Kenai rivers; should be awesome fishing this weekend on the lower Kenai up to Soldotna for kings and reds. Same for Kasilof; up to the Crooked Creek Camp Ground should be decent to pretty good fishing. Escapement numbers in the Russian show a good push of fish are about ready to pop (the slug hasn't hit just yet but the timing is about right; I suspect that they've been holding below the canyon and will be marching in their typical conga line fashion to the Russian this week.

This is just my own conjecture; take my forecast for what you will. I will be open to all mud-slinging, doubting, ridicule if I'm wrong and high-fives, beer and open seats if I'm right. )
    "He who is slow to anger is better than the mighty, and he who rules his spirit is better than he who takes a city." ~ Proverbs 16:32

I agree. With the water levels a bit higher than normal, the fish are just taking there time. I am going to go down and fish Thurday evening/Friday morning. I think that with the weir numbers slowly coming up, there will be some good fishing on the Russian. Power of positive thinking .

Default Got it right

Kenai and Kasilof numbers of early sockeye as well as kings went right up when I posted the original forecast... amazing that folks will jump at the chance to tell you when you are wrong but not say word when you are right.

For those of you about to assault the Russian/Kenai area; the fish are holding in deeper water (I know, "DUH") but here's the trick - they like to go in and out of the current seam of silty to fresh along the edge. You need heavier line and weight to get at them where they are holding. I use a combo of 20# braided with 30# leader on a spinning rod and at least 9' of 30# leader on my fly rod. The game is to get your weight the perfect distance from your hook and maintain it. Also, the fish hold up at night in groups and at first light (between 4 & 6am) they start shooting up the river with vigor. IF you are not fishing during that time you will not likely get your limit unless a gigantic school comes through.

Good luck guys & gals....
    "He who is slow to anger is better than the mighty, and he who rules his spirit is better than he who takes a city." ~ Proverbs 16:32

Quote Originally Posted by Back Country Robb View Post
    Kenai and Kasilof numbers of early sockeye as well as kings went right up when I posted the original forecast... amazing that folks will jump at the chance to tell you when you are wrong but not say word when you are right.

For those of you about to assault the Russian/Kenai area; the fish are holding in deeper water (I know, "DUH") but here's the trick - they like to go in and out of the current seam of silty to fresh along the edge. You need heavier line and weight to get at them where they are holding. I use a combo of 20# braided with 30# leader on a spinning rod and at least 9' of 30# leader on my fly rod. The game is to get your weight the perfect distance from your hook and maintain it. Also, the fish hold up at night in groups and at first light (between 4 & 6am) they start shooting up the river with vigor. IF you are not fishing during that time you will not likely get your limit unless a gigantic school comes through.

Good luck guys & gals....
    I will attest to that. Fished it yesterday. Was just upstream from guardrail corner on the kenai. fish are holding very very deep. we did not hit the water untill about 11 but did get out limit in a few hours. Plenty of good hookups too. Use more weight that I can every remember and was running 12 foot of leader from my fly line to get it down there
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight