Thread: jumpin into reverse

Default jumpin into reverse

My cousin just bought a 1988 Evinrude 60/40 jet. As soon as the motor fires up it jumps in reverse! Does anyone know where to start looking to find the problem? Thanks Fellas in advance!

Brian

Sounds like a cable/bucket adjustment. Jet OB's are always pushing water out the back anytime the engine is running...the shifter cable simply moves the bucket down over the jet to aim the water foward (for reverse)...or the bucket is all the way up when in forward. Neutral is kind of in-between where you have some forward and reverse thrust working at the same time to negate one another. It's been a while since I've fiddled with jet ob's...someone else will certainly chime in if I have something wrong...

MRFISH is on the money. The bucket has to be over the nozzle for reverse. If your throttle is still in neutral then the cable has slack in it or is broken. You didn’t say it you could get it out of reverse. If you can get it out of reverse I would say slack, if not well…

I am not a professional, so take anything I say with a grain or two of sand.

Travel of the bucket is controlled by the shift cable. The position of the bucket is adjusted with an eccentric cam. You need to strike the best compromise of the two. First things first, make sure the pins, grommets, and guide roller are in good condition. Then adjust the cable and cam to get solid contact of the bucket to lower jet housing in forward and adequate nozzle deflection in reverse. Forward position with solid contact to keep the bucket from rattling is the priority.

Post a picture if possible. But, this was just recently happening to me on a newer motor. It was an adjustment of the shift cable that solved my problem, but I know OB jets have changed a lot over the years regarding their forward reverse schematics. On older jets, a lot of people install a spring to hold the reverse gate down, so that it shifting itself into reverse is avoided. It sucks when your at full throttle on step and that thing hits reverse! Not very friendly on the back leg if your standing next to it.

Or just remove the bucket.. who needs reverse??