Thread: Fishing in Main Bay

Default Fishing in Main Bay

We will be in Main Bay Hatchery area from 9/8-9/19 fhising and hunting. We have access to a 18 footer and will be bombing around in the area. We have fished here in the past for bottom fish (Rock fish and Halibut) with a little luck, but not great. If anyone can help with usefull techniques or possible areas to try I would appreciate it. I think we were luckey to pull a 80 lb Butt outta there two years ago really not knowing what we were doing.

Default Main Bay yesterday

I was fishing near Main Bay yesterday - it was buzzing with commercial boats. The weather yesterday was perfect : ). Maybe check to see if there will be any commercial openings then... don't know if they net silvers there or not.

Here's how to check if there are openings http://csfish.adfg.state.ak.us/newsr...t.php?dist=CDV if the AGZ is open there will be no room to snag if there are openings... Also don't troll inside the buoys withing 60 fathoms of shore, they have running lines attached and you will lose your gear.

Also please be respectful of the people who live there, and stay quiet at night...
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Quote Originally Posted by littleblackdog View Post
    I was fishing near Main Bay yesterday - it was buzzing with commercial boats. The weather yesterday was perfect : ). Maybe check to see if there will be any commercial openings then... don't know if they net silvers there or not.
    Are reds in?

Default ?

I can't say. I saw lots of commercial action - definitely fishing, not just parked, but I can't be sure what fish they are fishing for. I saw some jumpers and more commercial boats waiting around near Ester Island.

Read the announcements... They have harvest stats there...
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.