Thread: Bear / Deer Hunting Near Main Bay Hatchery

Default Bear / Deer Hunting Near Main Bay Hatchery

We will be in Main Bay from 9/10-9/19 Fishing and Hunting. We will have an 18' Footer to bomb around in and I was inquiring about places to Bear / Deer hunt near Main Bay. We were thinking about the possibility of hunting on Knight Island or surrounding areas. Any information or usefull tips are appreciated. We really dont have a schedule and are flexable with what we can do. We even talked about the possibility of bringing shotguns to try for some seaducks off the rocks. Thanks in advance!

Default Main Bay

Have seen a few deer on the outer points near the entrance to Main Bay, but I think you'll have better hunting for them on any of the islands to the east.

As for bears, Main bay seems to have lots of them both black and brown.

Just saw a huge blackie in the north end of Esther passage last week. One of the bigger black bears I've ever seen.
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett

Cannery Creek Hatchery, Prince William Sound

If your seeing brown bears near main bay you might need to get your eyesight checked.

Default Eyes

Brown with a big hump on the shoulders. My eyes are fine. If you never noticed, Main Bay is on the Kenai Penninsula. Brown bears live on the Kenai. Fish at hatcheries attract bears. Don't know if they are there all year, but they come in when the run is peaking. I've seen at least three brownies there.
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett

Default Info

Nobody has any information about this area? Any information via PM would be helpfull.

Thanks!