Thread: Deshka landing to Lake Creek

Smile Deshka landing to Lake Creek

Can anyone tell me how many river miles it is from Deshka Landing to the mouth of Lake Creek? Planning a trip up there this weekend. Thanks Duck Don

Google Earth path finding shows it to be around 60 miles... thats including all the bends and twists etc...

As the crow flies it's 35 miles.

Default Deshka to Lake Creek

I have some land up near Lake Creek and have done this trip a number of times. It's about 50 miles. I don't fish it very often since it takes alot of gas just to go up and catch one fish. It is a great trip to do and pretty easy run the Yentna. Have a great trip.

According to last weeks GPS track to the mouth of Lake Creek it was 50.6 miles from Deshka Landing (This was cutting the corner at the Yentna/Susitna confluence maybe saving 2 or 3 miles). If you are interested in the track log I can send it to you (Google Earth KML file).

Quote Originally Posted by Shum View Post
    According to last weeks GPS track to the mouth of Lake Creek it was 50.6 miles from Deshka Landing (This was cutting the corner at the Yentna/Susitna confluence maybe saving 2 or 3 miles). If you are interested in the track log I can send it to you (Google Earth KML file).

I remember 50 too. I know next time I'm throwing a tent out. Been there and back enough times the trips getting old in one day.
    "If your not the lead dog.... the view never changes"

Its 52.1 miles had to wait till I got home and check the gps. be there this sunday......

Smile

Thanks all. Looks like I will need 14.8 gal. of fuel. Will take a bit more to be safe. I will let you know how it goes. Likely leaving Friday and back Sunday. Long ways to catch a King but maybe I can sort out a few pike, my real love. Regards
    Duckdon

Quote Originally Posted by Duckdon View Post
    Thanks all. Looks like I will need 14.8 gal. of fuel.
    Wow, 100+ miles on 15 gallons? That's pretty good! What kind of boat and motor are you running?

Quote Originally Posted by Duckdon View Post
    Thanks all. Looks like I will need 14.8 gal. of fuel.
    Don't forget it is 50 miles back too Unless your just gonna stay... It takes me just under 30 gallons to get up and back.

Unless your running a jet or a good outboard. 15 gallon might not quite make it. As if you are running heavy weight upriver it will be burning more than going down river light. Weight is a big variable in mpg. From our boat that we call the "barge" Its 25' and runs a 40hp suzuki. Burns about one tank from the yetna river and skwetna river mark to lake creek and back. But it all depends on what your running it in and weight. Just saying from out experiance and hope it helps!
    -Its better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.
    -Put some excitment between your legs, ride a polaris!
    -Local 907 Riders Union
    http://www.youtube.com/user/AKMackdaddy?feature=mhee

Smile

Thanks all

I get 7 to 9 river miles loaded per gal. of fuel with my 35 HP Surface drive Go Devil and my 1848 so with 50 miles up and 50 miles back it should take no more than 14.3 gal. I will take some extra gas to be safe but that should do it. Hope to get there this weekend but might get diverted on pike along the way. Thanks for all the advice and hope the fish are in.

Does anyone know anything about the pike fishing up Lake Creek way? I am more intrested in catching big pike than Kings anyday?

Thanks again Duck Don

When you headin up Duckdon? We too are heading up Saturday for the weekend. I was told that pike are in most of the creek sloughs off of Fish Lakes Creek and others.

Don't forget the Yenta runs pretty fast so you'll be bucking that the whole way up. Always bring way more than you think you'll use. I burn 30 give or take how loaded I am. Different set up of course.
    "If your not the lead dog.... the view never changes"

Cache 5 - 10 gallon at confluence of Yetna- Su.
    Hide & gps it.
    Can always float down Yetna to gas cache. If you don't need it , just pick it up & no harm done.
    Done it that way for years, few times a good thing.
    Less weight to haul up the river too.

Pike: Fish Lakes just up Yetna from Lake Cr on East side (1/2 mile)
    I drag boat up the creek at end of the slough & then you're in a big connected lake complex full of pike.
    PS: 1st time be careful in the slough, some hidden big rocks.

Quote Originally Posted by mudbuddy View Post
    Cache 5 - 10 gallon at confluence of Yetna- Su.
    Hide & gps it.
    Can always float down Yetna to gas cache. If you don't need it , just pick it up & no harm done.
    Done it that way for years, few times a good thing.
    Less weight to haul up the river too.

Pike: Fish Lakes just up Yetna from Lake Cr on East side (1/2 mile)
    I drag boat up the creek at end of the slough & then you're in a big connected lake complex full of pike.
    PS: 1st time be careful in the slough, some hidden big rocks.
    I have 35 vanguard on my mudbuddy.
    Curious if you make trip on 15 gallons.
    Let us know

Think about Alexnder & Flathorn lakes.
    You got the motor to get into them easy from the Su, big pike fishing.

Thumbs up

Looks like I will not be heading for Lake Creek this weekend. To much family stuff. If I do get to go, I will report back on how much gas I took and where I ran out....sounds like the old saying runs true. The only time you have to much gas is when your on fire. Thanks again Duck Don

If you are looking for big pike, go up to Alexander Creek and the lake, lots of pike despite the netting people were doing earlier in the year.

I agree, Flathorn and Alexander are top notch around the valley. Flathorn should be coming up with all the rain recently. Went in there 3 weeks ago and the lake itself was down some 6 feet.

"Fish hard, Fish long"

Flathorn dead lots of little hammer heads. Alexander fish and game have had there nets out this spring haven't made the run for that reason

it is right at 48 miles if you take the short cut out to the yentna where scary tree "was"