Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: duct tape heals?

Default duct tape heals?

I was taught that field injuries less severe than requiring super glue to fix and more severe than a bandiad to fix, are best fixed by duct tape applied directly onto the would itself. I was further taught that the sticky stuff in duct tape somehow provided some healing powers of its own.

Old wives tale? For some reason, I think not, and that there is some good to be done by this course of action.

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    I was taught that field injuries less severe than requiring super glue to fix and more severe than a bandiad to fix, are best fixed by duct tape applied directly onto the would itself. I was further taught that the sticky stuff in duct tape somehow provided some healing powers of its own.

Old wives tale? For some reason, I think not, and that there is some good to be done by this course of action.
    Duct tape contains salicylic acid, the same stuff that is in willow bark and aspirin. It's effective to put duct tape over a wart to kill it but takes time. So far as applying duct tape to a wound directly? I definitely would not do that. It's not sterile, for one, and it would hurt like heck to pull it off. I would use duct tape, if I had to, to tape a bandage over a wound, and I have used duct tape to cover blisters, splint a broken leg, and wrap sprained ankles and blown out knees. It has it's uses, but I wouldn't want to put it directly on a wound.
    "If snowmachiners would adopt the habits of riding one at a time and not parking at the base of avalanche prone slopes, the number of fatalities would likely be whittled by at least a third, if not by half." ~ Jill Fredston, in the book Snowstruck, In The Grip Of Avalanches.

Default on for a while

Yes, you do have to kind of wear it off over time and water helps it to come off too. I only use duct tape when camping, and I need the flow of blood to stop right now. It really does work well.

Good to know there are some chemicals in there that actually do help; I'd never heard the details before, thanks.

Yes, you do have to kind of wear it off over time and water helps it to come off too. I only use duct tape when camping, and I need the flow of blood to stop right now. It really does work well.

Good to know there are some chemicals in there that actually do help; I'd never heard the details before, thanks.
    Red Green doesn't have anything over on you.

Default Red is unknown here in my cave

Quote Originally Posted by kingfisherktn View Post
    Red Green doesn't have anything over on you.
    I can't believe I've never heard of him... how did that happen? Looks great, I just now put that on my list to get:

http://www.blockbuster.com/browse/ca...Details/225280

Thanks!

I can't believe I've never heard of him... how did that happen? Looks great, I just now put that on my list to get:

Thanks!
    We get him on a Canadian channel. RG and hockey is the only thing I watch on that channel.

I love the RG show...

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

Thanks!

PBS channel 7 here around 6 or 7 on saturday night. That guy is classic. My wife hates him and I love him
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Here is a good one for you FM.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uomk60wP2mI

Default RG

I think he is my new hero!

Still don't know how I missed out on RG until now. That reminds a person just how vitally important this forum is. Seriously, when you mentioned him I had to google him and thought at that time it was some color-joke...

I think he is my new hero!

Still don't know how I missed out on RG until now. That reminds a person just how vitally important this forum is. Seriously, when you mentioned him I had to google him and thought at that time it was some color-joke...

Now that surprises me.

Default RG volume 1 is in my hands now

Now that surprises me.
    And me as well. I'm used to my wife not knowing stuff that you and I would find as general knowledge (like, who was Janis Joplin, or Jerry Lewis before he started his telethon, etc...) but it isn't like me to have such a hole in my knowledge and background - - I'm still embarrased.

Today volume 1, dated 1997 RG arrived in the mail; I can't wait to watch it. Alas, real work prevents that... I hate it when work gets in the way of fun.

Again, King, I thank you for bringing RG to my attention. As much as I josh about with you online, you know I do actually respect my elders - and we both know that you are so very much elder than I...

Wish I could duct tape some peoples keyboard. Would really solve some of the typing diarrhea we've had lately. No guys, not talking about you.
    The only thing worse than a Subaru is the as*hole who drives it.

Default that's built into the system here already

Quote Originally Posted by wldboar View Post
    Wish I could duct tape some peoples keyboard. Would really solve some of the typing diarrhea we've had lately. No guys, not talking about you.
    I like your name for it better (than the name "ignore user"), but as you know that feature is already built into this forum's features. Anyone that's been here for any amount of time has used it, and it works well.

I like your name for it better (than the name "ignore user"), but as you know that feature is already built into this forum's features. Anyone that's been here for any amount of time has used it, and it works well.
    Maybe that will be my next alias for this forum. Look for me..ignore user
    The only thing worse than a Subaru is the as*hole who drives it.

Default What? Huh?

Next what? I'm sure you didn't mean that seriously, since you of course know that no one has more than one username/account here; it isn't allowed.

Oh gosh darn it; here we go, fine upstanding members, making more work for the mods... Unless they've developed more of a sense of humor or reality on this subject.

Default I'm safe

I just checked my stats and I am at .08 posts per day, no diarrhea thankfully.
    I bought a roll of that packing wrap, hauled it to the cabin and hope never to have to use it.
    Its in a roll about 6" wide, you stick a plastic handle in the roll and wrap stuff for shipping, like saran wrap. One time I got a gash at work that was a little worse than the normal rip off a chuck of hankerchief, and wrap some electrical tape on it. I keep a first aid kit but don't use it, guess I'm saving it for some crazy reason.
    Any way I used that wrap that was holding some tubes together I had bought. It does'nt stick to you but sticks to itself and seemed to do a good job at sealing up the wound.
    At that point I put it on my list to go to the cabin. Maybe if something bad happened it might work for stopping a bad leaker.

And me as well. I'm used to my wife not knowing stuff that you and I would find as general knowledge (like, who was Janis Joplin, or Jerry Lewis before he started his telethon, etc...) but it isn't like me to have such a hole in my knowledge and background - - I'm still embarrased.

Today volume 1, dated 1997 RG arrived in the mail; I can't wait to watch it. Alas, real work prevents that... I hate it when work gets in the way of fun.

Again, King, I thank you for bringing RG to my attention. As much as I josh about with you online, you know I do actually respect my elders - and we both know that you are so very much elder than I..
    What did you say sonny, let me first turn on my hearing aid so I can here you.

Talking

What did you say sonny, let me first turn on my hearing aid so I can here you.
    I SAID.... - - -- - oh, you were kidding.... nevermind, sir.

Default Yeowch!!!

Hi FM-

I have been 'less than active' on many forums recently, due to other issues taking priority.
    Slowly, but surely -- I AM BAAAACK!
    Curious -- where were you taught this?
    I mean, like scouts, family or what-have-you??

Learning -- a lifelong process... and so I try... here!

Quote Originally Posted by EagleRiverDee View Post
    Duct tape contains salicylic acid, the same stuff that is in willow bark and aspirin. It's effective to put duct tape over a wart to kill it but takes time. So far as applying duct tape to a wound directly? I definitely would not do that. It's not sterile, for one, and it would hurt like heck to pull it off. I would use duct tape, if I had to, to tape a bandage over a wound, and I have used duct tape to cover blisters, splint a broken leg, and wrap sprained ankles and blown out knees. It has it's uses, but I wouldn't want to put it directly on a wound.
    Hi ER-Dee,

I cannot find any documentation re: salicylate in duct tape adhesive, and it is not for lack of looking!
    I sent a note to a friend in R & D in the company, to try and learn further, either way.

Any references?

In the jungles of Honduras, a FP collegue Rx'd warts w/ a paste of crushed ASA.
    The patient came back every day for a week, then he was given some supplies and taught how to tend to it himself.

Compound W and all those products are some form of liquid salicylate.
    As warts have layers of dead skin, straight tape may be helpful as an exfoliant -- dead cell remover.

NON-MEDICAL REFERENCE - SALICYLATE & DUCT TAPE FOR WART REMOVAL

AS FOR PUTTING IT ON AN OPEN WOUND.. THEN REMOVING -- NOT IN MY ARMAMENTARIUM!
    The very healing of a new wound with new collagen, following 'scab' formation, if you will, will be RIPPED into dehiscence!

Also, FWIW, I do not recommend putting any aspirin prep on any bleeding wounds!

Medical advice -- keep it simple; keep it clean; direct pressure to control any bleeding; and ABOVE ALL --> DO NO HARM!

OK... there you go -- the first rule of medical school!

Safe Travels!
    ~Doc

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast