Thread: Bears and meat

Default Bears and meat

I'm sure bears are a concern on a float hunt for moose. What does everyone do with their meat at night while camping/sleeping?

Default Meat

After you have an animal down, it is quatered and put into breathable game bags and hung off the ground so air can get to it. Nights during the fall will put a chill on the meat that will last thru the day as long as you keep it dry and let the air get to it. I also spray the meat with citric acid. Here is a photo of my moose on the ole meat pole. This meat was kept for 8 days and is mighty tasty..

Steve

Make sure, as stid implied, get it out of the raft and away from it. Hang it away from camp and the raft. If there's blood on the raft, you might think about washing it off. It hard to patch a raft a bear decided to investigate.

Default The bear part.

I forgot the bear part. We put the meat as far from the sleep area as possible, some times even across the river within sight. I have also used my electric fence when I had enough open area for it. Fence was great, at least it made me feel better, I tried to hold onto it and was unable. My fence is pretty strong.

Looks good, but what do you do to keep bears from being attracted to your camp with all that meat around?

Default Bills right.

Keeping blood off the raft is very hard. We watched that raft like it was our sister virginity, the raft is your way out. Bears love to chew on them, bloody or not. Like a dog with a very pricey chew toy. We used the fence to protect the raft as well. We had 3 areas, a sleep tent, cooking-hanging out tent, and the meat cache. I know of 2 people that had thier camps destroyed this year by bears. We left ours for hours at a time with the fence up and had no bear trouble, did have a Martin try a little moose meat, can't blame him for that. Caught this guy while he was having a free moose dinner.

Steve

Default How to keep bears Away!!!

I use a electric fence and BFG!!!!!! Heavy on the BFG part...(Big Freaking Gun)

Steve

Default eletric fence

stid thats a slick looking setup i sent you a PM

Default Slick setup is right

Sid~ what make is your fence & where/what cost would I be looking at?

http://www.absc.usgs.gov/research/br...ic_fencing.htmStid,

Great pics. For you guys looking for the fence set up you can check this out,

Default How much wire?

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    After you have an animal down, it is quatered and put into breathable game bags and hung off the ground so air can get to it. Nights during the fall will put a chill on the meat that will last thru the day as long as you keep it dry and let the air get to it. I also spray the meat with citric acid. Here is a photo of my moose on the ole meat pole. This meat was kept for 8 days and is mighty tasty..

Steve
    Steve,

How many feet of fencing wire are you using for your setup?

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Default Poly wire

Mike, I believe they are about 120 ft each. 3 sets of wire. Bear Shock only weighs 3.1 lbs. without batteries and 3.7 lbs. with batteries, and fits in a small 5" x 20" storage bag. Bear Shock will enclose a 30 ft. x 30 ft. area, and runs on 2 D-cell batteries that can supply power to the energizer continuously for approximately five weeks. Great sytem made by UDAP. You could buy more polywire and make it as large as you need. Most grow shops have the plastic push poles and plastic wire ties work great to connect the wire to trees ect... I highly recommend a e-fence tester, I found that at most feed stores. Here is a link for polywire and other parts.
    http://www.electric-fence.com/Shop/s...p?Page=cat.asp
    Here is the UDAP link.
    http://www.udap.com/bearshock.htm
    Steve

Default Bear fence

http://www.electrobearguard.com/
    Here is a site that offers packages all set up plus some good videos. I personally set two up and found the fi-shok charger worked as well as the more expensive yellow jacket and both lasted ten days in october on Kodiak on one set of batteries. You can set them up online or in town a little cheaper than the kits but no case. I can not verify that a bear touched the fence but walked out of tent one morning to one 12' from the fence. 16 deer in rubbermaid totes in a creek with lots of bear traffic and nothing disturbed

Default Bears tested on electric fences...

Here's a good website & video on bear behavior and electric fencing...

http://www.nols.edu/resources/resear...fence_xl.shtml

Of course, it's from Montana...
    Respect what you do not own but are privleged to enjoy, Mother Earth thanks you...

Default NOLS video

Quote Originally Posted by Montana Native View Post
    Here's a good website & video on bear behavior and electric fencing...

http://www.nols.edu/resources/resear...fence_xl.shtml

Of course, it's from Montana...
    Yeah, the NOLS video link has been posted here many times before... pretty strong evidence in support of electric fences. They work great in Alaska too!

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Default unavoidable

There is no way to avoid attracting bears to your camp with meat. It is in fact a matter of timing, they smell you. Like others have said hanging meat on the opposite bank within sight is an option but they could just as easily come down your side of the bank.

The best defense is to practice good backcountry skills in bear country, eat meals before you stop to setup camp. Keep your boat clean along with camp and be prepared for whatever.

Default Before electric fences.

We have always built nice big smokey fires down wind of our meat. Don't know how effective it was but we never had a bear sniffing around camp. This is always done with wind, flameables taken into account.