Thread: Whittier

Default Whittier

Anyone ever fished from shore in Whittier and caught anything besides doing the silver/pink run

Do chums count? I've caught a few of those, as well as a king in the harbor back when they used to stock them in there. I've caught a few greenling in the harbor as a kid as well, but not much else. Herring can be caught from shore, and there was a thread within the last week or so describing how.

I know of guys getting halbut , rockfish and ling cod know current ling is closed. But my idea here is and maybe I've gone completely nuts. I want to get a decent float tube and tie like a 100 ft rope to shore and then to the boat. Cast my line 200 yds and float back to shore bail open and winch the rod in rocks and relax. I know its ocean and waves can be bad so I'd just have to use my judgement. Please if say it's not smart please give a reason so I can give it some thought

I'm pretty sure it's one but I'll ask. Can 1 person fish with 2 rods in saltwater or no?

I've seen big halibut as well as kings taken from within casting range of the sea wall. I wouldn't expect to catch much other than small cod, but you never know...

FYI, kings were released yesterday from the new net pen. Silvers were released last week. Thanks to a renewed effort from the city shop guys, some charter guys, and others, we should hopefully have more salmon fishing in the future.

one rod per person

Thanks offshore yea I've landed halibut from shore but that was my normal spot near deep creek campground