Thread: Dead clams...???Do you eat them if they die before cleaning?

Default Dead clams...???Do you eat them if they die before cleaning?

A couple gave us some razor clams harvested yesterday...in a bowl of fresh tap water...almost all were open and non-responsive...are they safe to eat?

Unless they were bone-chilled cold, I would NOT eat them.

Lotta toxins build up in a short period of time.

If still in doubt, let your nose be your guide.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Default Thanx for the reply...

We sadly tossed them...sorry for the waste, but taking no chances.

Clams are just fine if they have been dead for awhile. We've had whole clams in the frig for several days that had died and they were and are just fine. When cleaned, clams have a good shelf life, two weeks easy. Crab is a different story, they release some kind of goo when dead that is actually visible, always cook crab alive, but clams....no such problem.

Shrimp, crab, grey cod, shark...not a very good shelf life, too much urea, they will start to smell like ammonia.

halibut, clams, rockfish, salmon.....very good shelf life.

Default Just once....

Experience shell fish/seafood poisoning just once and I guarantee that from that time forward you will always error to the side of "NEVER AGAIN".

Exclamation Proper Food Handling & Hygiene

Quote Originally Posted by pontiac-chief-51 View Post
    Experience shell fish/seafood poisoning just once and I guarantee that from that time forward you will always error to the side of "NEVER AGAIN".
    Amen to that!!! I've experienced the pain and never want to go through it again. As a result, I'm very cautious about consuming fish and game harvested or prepared by others, including friends and co-workers.

The evening before my brother's bachelor party, I was invited to a friend's house for grilled sea bass that he caught on a charter trip the weekend before.

Evidently, the catch was mishandled because I've never been so sick in my life. Regretably, I ended up missing my bro's big night out on the town even though I was best man.

Several years later, the same guy shot a deer and had it hanging uncovered in his detached garage. The building had some broken windows and a side door that didn't shut all the way. He mentioned that the flies and yellow jackets were having a field day, and that his dog got in there and managed to chew off one of the legs.

Still, he figured most of the meat could be salvaged. I think he ended up with several pounds of hamburger / sausage and a few steaks. When the mighty hunter invited me over to partake of the bounty, I flat-out refused. He couldn't understand how I could turn down such a wonderful meal and called me a picky eater. Actually, I prefer the term self-preservationist!