Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 6.5 Grendel

Default 6.5 Grendel

Anyone shooting the 6.5Grendel? Please tell me about it! I know very little.

I have a finished AR lower that is awaiting an upper, and since I already have another AR platform I'm playing with the idea of eventually finishing this in something better than 5.56. With Cameras and Guns, I always take a long time to read/learn about the ins/outs (that's half the fun) before I do it...so I've got lots of time to learn.

I'm thinking (after some reading) that the way to go is with the 6.5G.
    In comparing the numbers to the .308, it's amazingly similar, in a small package. Much better than the 5.56, yet can use the existing lower.

Check out these numbers (much because of the bullet design itself, I guess).

So, anyone shooting/using the 6.5G?

I have and use the 6.5 Grendel, and recommend the 6.5 Grendel over any other ctg for the AR platform over anything else for the guy that already has and 5.56mm upper. The .308 is vary expensive to get to work half as well and will never shoot with the 6.5mm. The ctg is based on the .220 Russian we see this ctg as the 6mm PPC. It has all the accuracy anyone shooting an auto loader can ever expect. For long range work out to 600 yards it's about all you could want. For long range caribou it's all you could ever want or need in a AR upper.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Thanks Al! Yup, the more I read about it...the more impressed I am with this cartridge.
    I believe this is the way to go in an upper for the second (longer range) AR.
    I'd like to see the military adopt this with new piston uppers...runs right up with the .308, at a combat load of half the weight of the .308. Especially at the longer ranges of A-stan. (I know...ain't gonna happen).

From what I'm reading about numbers, I wouldn't even sell it short as a moose gun at typical moose ranges.
    Amazing, the more I learn about it. I had assumed it was similar to the 6.8, but it blows it outta the water.

It is beyond belief that any one still mess with the 6.8/.277. I think the folks that still mess around with any thing AR in the 6.8/.277 are a little bit nuts, but if that is what gets them off, more power to them. I have been a big fan of the 6.5 for more years than I care to think back on. Does 1962 or 1963 seem a while ago? My high school days when I became a fan. Fr the AR it is everything the 5.56/.223 Remington was supposed to be and never was. When you get some time and shooting in with the 6.5 Grendel you will wonder why you ever thought about any .308 AR 10 was ever a part of your thinking.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Shoot, after looking at that (and a few other) graphs/numbers I already do!
    It stays right with the .308 out to 1000yds!

I think (some of) the 6.8 boys are just kinda still bedazzled by it because it got a lot of (specops) press lately, and Barrett(etc) has de-facto approved it in their AR-type gun...and stuff like that. The "tacticool" factor. (and 6.8 IS better than the 5.56).

But I like the raw numbers of the 6.5G that blows the 6.8 and the 5.56 AWAY!

Hey, 6.5G Piston uppers for all the military (5.56's)in A-stan...put it on MY tab! A "round" for the house (pun).

Seriously, 6.5G all the way!

Al, that does remind me to ask you a question!

I see that WOLF (suck) makes a bunch of 6.5G...but do you know right off the top if there are many other's making it?
    I'm too lazy to go look at all the ammo manufacturers, to find out if they have a bunch of various Hollowpoints, as well as hunting rounds.

I know you reload, but I figured you probably know what the GOOD (factory) ammo is for it? Is factory ammo hard to find?
    I know you may not find it at Wal-mart (suck)...but would folks like WWG/whatever normally stock it?

I have (5) Ar-15's in 6.8 SPC, both pistols and rifles. Outside of the .80 cents to $1.00 per round, I love the cartridge. I do 3 miles to 5 miles per day in fairly dense bear habitat packing the Rock River Mid-length. It works for me. However I got nothing against the 6.5G

Absolutely! The 6.8 is MUCH better than the 5.56, but check out the numbers on the 6.5. I was amazed because I understood the 6.8 and 6.5 to be about equal (Bushmaster, RRA, Ruger, etc making 6.8's)...but the 6.5 is more like the .308! (and still fits in the 5.56 lower like the 6.8 does).

I was amazed to find that out! I was looking at the 6.8 too...until I saw the numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    I do 3 miles to 5 miles per day in fairly dense bear habitat packing the Rock River Mid-length. It works for me.
    Picturing AGL4 running around Hope area with a mid-length AR (6.8) over his shoulder every day...now that's a pretty cool image. I guess there are still (some) parts of Alaska I have some hope for. (no pun intended).

For winter use I have a 1.25X to 4X Leupold European 30MM German #4 reticle. In the summer I have the top naked (No sights & No scope) It saves more than a pound.

Very cool!

So...can you label the axis of you graph? What do the pretty colors mean?
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Energy. (in FtLbs)

SOoooo, if one is not going to shoot his sport hunting AR-15 beyond 200 yards, and if Foot Pounds of Energy was important, the 6.8 SPC is more gooder. I'll concede to the 6.5 Grendel for longer range shooting.

It might also be interesting to see how much gooder the 6.8 would do with plastic tipped bullets......for sustained velocity. Forum member "Float Pilot" has done some research with reloading the 6.8 and there is a thread here someplace.

Yup, 6.8 and 6.5 are about even at the muzzle, and only as the range increases does the 6.5 start to really shine. I was going to go with the 6.8, because I already have a 5.56 for a close range toy, and was looking to finish a second AR in something more...and there's lots of quality 6.8 uppers out there. Nothing wrong with the 6.8, and it's WAY better than the 5.56.

But, since I'm looking at creating a longer range "DM" type of gun...I really like those 6.5G long range numbers.

For my use I could care less beyond 400 yards. I hunt with my rifles and that's about it.

Where did this data in the chart come from? I have seen data that showed the 6.8 SPC to be much better than your chart shows.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Barrel lengths on that chart? You are not going to get those 6.5 numbers off of a 14" (military) or 16" civilian barrel.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    Barrel lengths on that chart? You are not going to get those 6.5 numbers off of a 14" (military) or 16" civilian barrel.
    True. Those numbers based on all 20" barrels...which is what I will be building. All the reading I have done show similar results with the longer ranges. Many folks DO need something out to 600yds and beyond. Evidently, the 6.5G holds it's energy better largely because of the way the actual bullet is shaped/proportioned. Like I said...this is all new to me except for the research. Probably Big Al, or someone who currently PLAYS with the 6.5G, could explain further.

From what I'm reading, the 6.8mm Rem replaces 5.56mm very well (much better) and is slightly better than the 7.62x39, but can’t replace 7.62NATO. The 6.5G pretty much can do both...holding it's energy out to longer ranges.

For factory loaded ammo Alexander Arms is where you want to go. A list of what they have is here.http://www.alexanderarms.com/siteshopper.htm?cat=15 The 6.8 is left so far in the dust by the 6.5 Grendel it's almost a joke. I would only by factory loads if I wanted the brass. Yep I want brass but I would mush rater buy new unloaded than loaded ammo. If you have uppers built by some of the real winners in this game you just leave all the others in a far back second place. My barrels are built by some of the truly best out there and have held up vary well. I don't own any thing that is from any but custom makers and happy I got the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    The 6.8 is left so far in the dust by the 6.5 Grendel it's almost a joke. .

I'll put my 6.8 up against your 6.5 for penetration at 150 yards, FMC ammo. I'll put some money on the line. I say for hunting Humans, Black Bears, Caribou, Deer out to 150/175 yards the 6.8 SPC will out perform the 6.5 Grendel. For me if I need something dead at 300 yards, I just walk 200 yards closer. I will concede the 6.5 will outperform the 6.8 beyond 200 yards.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast